IGNORED

R.I.P Sir Clive Sinclair

youxia

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2021/sep/16/home-computing-pioneer-sir-clive-sinclair-dies-aged-81

A true legend, responsible for some of the best moments in my, and so many other people's childhoods - and sometimes the subsequent careers.

I know what I'm doing tonight...

LOAD ""

Knight%20Lore%20(ZX%20Spectrum%2048Kb)(R

Edited by youxia
  • Like 3
  • Sad 6

Wow. Okay then. R.I.P. Sir Clive. 81 is respectable but a sad day nonetheless.

I know back in the 80s you and your computers were the enemy of me, a Commodore user. I mocked your membrane and rubber keyboards, wobbly ram packs and horrible screen colors but thanks to you computers were affordable and easy to get. So many lives changed and careers launched by your little plastic boxes. You were ahead of your time with the idea of an electric vehicle and you were a true inventor until the end.

Now you can hang out with Jack Tramiel and trade barbs in a better place.

• Like 1

RIP Sir Clive Sinclair, someone who was very influential from the earliest days of my life.

My 2nd computer was a Sinclair ZX Spectrum (48K) Plus, and it was the one device that would influence my interest and career today into computing.

Having been largely self-taught, he was certainly one of the UK's most prolific inventors and engineers. Before the arrival of computers, he was building things like miniature TVs and radios and storage devices and was always ahead of the curve. He was already building commercial electric cars for the masses in the 80s before the likes of Elon Musk today was espousing the idea. He was a pioneer for sure. His miniature TV came out a full decade in 1977 before Sony ever did (with their Watchman in the late 80s).

Anyone who is interested in his life should watch the BBC short movie Micro Men starring Martin Freeman (of The Hobbit). It's a good movie for computer buffs.