IGNORED

What videogame was so awful that you stopped playing almost immediately?

Frozone212

Ironic Punishment  

10 members have voted

1. 1. You are locked in a room, which game do you pick?

• Awesome Possum (Sega genesis)
    • Lord of the rings Fellowship of the ring (GBA)

That post about CoD Finest Hour reminded me of a game I paid up for while discounted not big given it started at $60, then was utterly disgusted and reminded me I won't pay to rent digital download games unless I know them to be good in advance, or until they're minimally 50% off.

Call of Dooky WWII -- Fuck that game.  I used to utterly love their WW2 titles, but this one is so so badly scripted and done with AI that's just psychic level designed it's a fun sucking death trap nightmare.  Specifically it's not so much the FPS elements, because there, while it is a thing you're not stuck in a box basically you can kind of as a person get low, move about, have some options.

Nonono -- it's the tank stuff.  Fuck the tank.  Going into the game about I think 1/3 to 1/2 in you're into a tank stage in a wimpy little sherman and end up having to deal with a few tiger tanks.  While you can out maneuver them, you definitely can't hit them from the front, side is a scratch worth of damage, which being honest, that's realistic.  I'd have been fine even with that for that reason, but no... the germans no matter where you drive, what you do, they can and will always on the PC version (when I had it) have their barrel facing you despite which way they drive.  It's a matter of maybe getting lucky and edging a shell around the side of a building that will crumble once it gets hit.  This happens repeatedly with multiple tanks, and until they're knocked out, you can't go on further.  Maybe the console versions aren't so vile and broken, but the Steam release they can always track you through walls, rubble, the ground, it's like they have modern heat cameras or some Perfect Dark see through walls technology.  I wasted more time than I'll admit on that, got furious, and erased it, THEN I erased it from my Steam account permanently it pissed me off the design was that bad.

Edited by Tanooki

Deadly Towers on the NES... the game looked epic you being a warrior and making your way through these towers.  Really got me excited with the D&D vibes... then I played it.  Fall of the ledge and poof your dead.  The game drove me crazy and I stopped playing it the first day.  I might have tried it again a few days and a few weeks later but it just drove me crazy that it would have been the most mint copy for NES that I had as a kid.  Well that game and my copy of Blaster Master (it was still sealed in the box)... only because someone bought it for me and I already had the game.  lol

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, King_Salamon said:

Deadly Towers on the NES... the game looked epic you being a warrior and making your way through these towers.  Really got me excited with the D&D vibes... then I played it.  Fall of the ledge and poof your dead.  The game drove me crazy and I stopped playing it the first day.  I might have tried it again a few days and a few weeks later but it just drove me crazy that it would have been the most mint copy for NES that I had as a kid.  Well that game and my copy of Blaster Master (it was still sealed in the box)... only because someone bought it for me and I already had the game.  lol

I knew I was weird!  Usually when I tell people that my Favorite game on NES is Deadly Towers,  well this is how they react...^

S'alright...The Mighty Deadly Towers (and my other equal Favorite Faxanadu) are not for everyone  ;) 

PS Yeah it really is my Favorite!  Being one of my first purchases for NES,  it really blew me away!

On 6/1/2022 at 9:04 PM, jerseystyle said:

I love Sneak N Peek. Been playing it off and on for like 35 years now. Trying to get my daughter into it. I’d say my least favorite game back in the day is probably Jinx on the 7800. Could never play for more than like 5 minutes.

Oh..And I really like Jinks too!

That's OK...I know I'm a weirdo....I usually steer clear of these negative threads on purpose....don't know what I'm doing here (and yeah, I know I responded earlier here too)....   TBH I'd rather read peoples Favorites than what do you think sucks...But I see the value in all opinions so I'll stop whining now haha...Don't mind me.   Carry On.

17 hours ago, GoldLeader said:

I knew I was weird!  Usually when I tell people that my Favorite game on NES is Deadly Towers,  well this is how they react...^

S'alright...The Mighty Deadly Towers (and my other equal Favorite Faxanadu) are not for everyone  ;) 

PS Yeah it really is my Favorite!  Being one of my first purchases for NES,  it really blew me away!

Faxanadu was a great game... maybe a little too Zelda like for some but I enjoyed it.  My buddy and I played through that game over a weekend many many moons ago.  lol

But that Deadly Towers... still don't like it.  MAybe I'll give it a run on emulation one day to see how it's aged.  lol  Well maybe not...

• Haha 1

Donut County (Xbox Game Pass)

Good thing I didn't pay any money for this silly game.

It's dull and full of unnecessary 'text chats' between every stage.  

Not sure what this fascination is with cleaning simulations (you just suck things into a hole albeit with some puzzle elements), but I guess it's because kids these days don't do any work.

1 hour ago, Leonard Smith said:

but I guess it's because kids these days don't do any work.

I didn't care for Donut County either, but your comment is funny to me because --- I can remember the adults in the family giving me a similar argument about playing Frostbite when I was a kid!   They were building storage buildings and a couple of barns, and always gave me crap for building that igloo instead of coming out and doing some real work.

21 minutes ago, Razzie.P said:

I didn't care for Donut County either, but your comment is funny to me because --- I can remember the adults in the family giving me a similar argument about playing Frostbite when I was a kid!   They were building storage buildings and a couple of barns, and always gave me crap for building that igloo instead of coming out and doing some real work.

I guess they did have a point.

Idk.  This one just didn't connect with me.  Clearing the clutter from each screen by sucking up objects into an ever growing hole with some very basic puzzles. Yawn.  The never-ending text chat exchanges put the final nail in the coffin for me.  I also didn't connect with the main character. 

Me and my kid have this thing where every time I get a new flashcart with a million games on it we play whatever version of "Home Alone" is on it (she liked the movie) I haven't found one yet I can stomach for more than 30 seconds...we always get a laugh out of how bad they are...

ohno.jpg.90f630cdc4bcf7b9d67d6b4d4639f28f.jpg

19 hours ago, Crazy Climber said:

Me and my kid have this thing where every time I get a new flashcart with a million games on it we play whatever version of "Home Alone" is on it (she liked the movie) I haven't found one yet I can stomach for more than 30 seconds...we always get a laugh out of how bad they are...

ohno.jpg.90f630cdc4bcf7b9d67d6b4d4639f28f.jpg

Recently saw that video of AVGN with a guest appearance of Macaulay Culkin to go over those Home Alone games :D

They all sucked of course..

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ninjabba said:

Recently saw that video of AVGN with a guest appearance of Macaulay Culkin to go over those Home Alone games :D

They all sucked of course..

haha, no way!!

I'll have to check that out for sure. I'm not surprised at all AVGN did the Homa Alone games, every one of them I've played is awful..

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Crazy Climber said:

haha, no way!!

I'll have to check that out for sure. I'm not surprised at all AVGN did the Homa Alone games, every one of them I've played is awful..

I'm that weirdo that liked the first NES game. Did it have issues? Absolutely.  But, I kind of liked the spastic "stay alive for twenty minutes" premise, as last-gen as the concept was.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Yosikuma said:

I'm that weirdo that liked the first NES game. Did it have issues? Absolutely.  But, I kind of liked the spastic "stay alive for twenty minutes" premise, as last-gen as the concept was.

Did you own it back in the day?

That can have a HUGE impact...there are a few bad games I like but it's because I got them as a gift/etc back when I was a kid, so I didn't really have any other options...

If you are basically forced to choose between playing a bad game or nothing, you might end up giving a bad game more of a chance...and finding out it's not as bad as you thought :)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Crazy Climber said:

Did you own it back in the day?

That can have a HUGE impact...there are a few bad games I like but it's because I got them as a gift/etc back when I was a kid, so I didn't really have any other options...

If you are basically forced to choose between playing a bad game or nothing, you might end up giving a bad game more of a chance...and finding out it's not as bad as you thought :)

I didn't own but I rented it a few times. I was amazed by how many people hated it even then, but the way the game is set up is very akin to older systems and not the NES (you just have to survive 20 minutes and then you win, so no sort of progression, levels, adventure, etc.), so I kind of get that. The graphics weren't superb and those stairs suuuuuuck. So, I'm not blind to its flaws or how out of place it seemed on the NES.

Edited by Yosikuma
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Yosikuma said:

I didn't own but I rented it a few times. I was amazed by how many people hated it even then, but the way the game is set up is very akin to older systems and not the NES (you just have to survive 20 minutes and then you win, so no sort of progression, levels, adventure, etc.), so I kind of get that. The graphics weren't superb and those stairs suuuuuuck. So, I'm not blind to its flaws or how out of place it seemed on the NES.

Okay, Im going to give Home Alone another chance on the NES for you man ? 

I couldn't get very far into Metal Gear Solid V on PS4.  It never clicked with me - a shame since I liked the previous games - and I just gave it up.  The multiple "KONAMI" screens between cutscenes rubbed me the wrong way too.

Similarly, a friend of mine (who btw rarely gives up on a game he has purchased) stopped playing Death Stranding, calling it a walking simulator.  It looks completely uninteresting to me and I just can't help but wonder wtf happened to Kojima?!

16 hours ago, glazball said:

I couldn't get very far into Metal Gear Solid V on PS4.  It never clicked with me - a shame since I liked the previous games - and I just gave it up.  The multiple "KONAMI" screens between cutscenes rubbed me the wrong way too.

Similarly, a friend of mine (who btw rarely gives up on a game he has purchased) stopped playing Death Stranding, calling it a walking simulator.  It looks completely uninteresting to me and I just can't help but wonder wtf happened to Kojima?!

Yeah I think this sort of thing is why I picked gta v. When i said that I didn't really put much why, but to me having a series that does seem to tip over 180 is a controller/technical issue if it plays that differently. I have other reasons why I stopped playing gta v, namely it was boring and even worse than iv, but it was the technical issues too (played it on a 360 which is probably another flaw, but meh). 

I didn't mind mgs v so much as I took it for what it was, but breath of the wild is another one I got really frustrated with. I didn't quit it, like I did gta v (still haven't returned to it now, and maybe never will) but elements like the 10 enemy limit for weapons whether they were a clumsy made club or the master sword really got to me. 

When a series changes its mechanics, its trying to be innovative, but sometimes its done so poorly. Mgs v was a definite one for many people, mechanics were bad, controls were bad, ai was bad (things in mgs 1, 2, 3 and 4 suddenly disappeared). If anyone quit mgs v I wouldn't be surprised to hear it. 

• Like 1

I can't believe I never mentioned Cotton Guardian Force Saturn Tribute. Do you enjoy having 12 frames of lag in your STGs, or anything else for that matter? If you do, play that pile of garbage. They patched it and it's "only" ~10 frames of lag with the patch. Extremely disappointing, as I was really looking forward to Guardian Force, but it's very uncomfortable to play. Without exaggeration, I played it for about 30 seconds both before and after the patch and stopped.

• Like 1

On 6/2/2022 at 3:17 AM, masteries said:

Lee Enfield or Bob Morane the Chevaliere for Atari ST, Amstrad or C64

Be careful, the music can turn you crazy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E38bvF65Kb8

But how can you hate a game with a dancing bear?

20220628_075638_1.gif

24 minutes ago, swlovinist said:

Deadly_Towers_boxart.png

I see this game pop up a lot these days.  Something happening to cause a resurgence or some sort of increased interest suddenly?   Or just coincidence? 

I don't think I've ever really given it a chance, but thinking I may have to check it out. 

• Like 1

Well, I didn't stop because it was awful; I never started playing Dark Souls Remastered after I bought it for Switch on release day (October 2018) even though I didn't like the demo, because people assured me the game would be patched so that the menu buttons would not be inverted anymore. Almost 4 years later, still no patch, and it's all the more frustrating as it's really easy to program; I could do it myself actually. Also other games from the same developer or publisher don't have that problem, so it's just incredibly pathetic. ?

On 6/20/2022 at 2:16 AM, GoldLeader said:

I could maybe understand you thinking Deadly Towers is okay, but the fact that it's your favorite game on the NES ... I don't even know what to say to that. ;) 

I played Deadly Towers as a kid. I even finished it because my parents bought it for our NES, and we were stuck with it. All that I remember about the game is how ugly it was.

• Like 1