IGNORED

38 Years in the Making ... the Digger Dan Trilogy is now Complete!

simonh

@simonh - Thanks for providing the new binary. Hopefully, this will run from my Ultimate Cart. Since I’m from the US, I hadn’t heard of your software before. I’ve had fun playing ROTF. I look forward to playing the earlier two games as well. 

Thanks again for your new game after all these years. 

Bob C

Here's a version that adds joy2b support, letting you use button 2 to detonate the mines. It's a simple hack, I've included the source code in case anybody is interested.

Thanks for this game, @simonh, and also for Dan Strikes Back, which was one of my favourites back in the day. I got it along with my first Atari in 1985 (Atari Smash Hits vol. 1 ❤️).

rotf2j2b.xexrotf.asm

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 9/21/2021 at 8:29 AM, CharlieChaplin said:

Another method that worked for me is "relocating" one segment of the ROTF file, the segment $0800-0DB2 that causes the loading problem. Lucky for us, the next segment starts at $2600, so we have some free space between those two segments.

There is a program named SuperCopy that can "relocate" programs or program segments, so they load fine with DOS or at least a gamedos/bootloader. Supercopy always relocates to $1F00-xxxx (max. program length $8000 or 32kbytes!) and always uses a run adress of $1F3F. So I simply put that one segment onto a disk, loaded Supercopy (load as EXE, save as FCopy, then load as FCopy, save as EXE) and created a new segment which now uses memory $1F00-25D6 and run adress 1F3F, so it just fits under the other segment that starts at $2600. Copied the relocated segment to the original program (removing the original segment) and saved it - and it seems to still load fine.

So here you have another version, it is still unpacked (executes faster), but should work with most loaders out there.

ROTF2.zip 16.62 kB · 28 downloads SupCopy.zip 71.34 kB · 14 downloads

Trying out this version under Altirra 3.90.

Cannot get the game to start.  F2 and Left-Control don't seem to be doing anythin.  What do I need to do to start it?

3 minutes ago, TheNameOfTheGame said:

Trying out this version under Altirra 3.90.

Cannot get the game to start.  F2 and Left-Control don't seem to be doing anythin.  What do I need to do to start it?

I had the same problem, until I read Simon's infotext: move the joystick in any direction to start the game.

1 hour ago, TheNameOfTheGame said:

Oh thanks, I thought I had tried that, but sure enough that works.

I had the same problem before I read the documentation. If I had the ability to patch the game, I would put a message “move joystick to start”. I am used to pressing fire or the Start key, but this is the first time I have seen this method to start a game. 

Bob C

• 1 year later...

Necropost, I know, but just wanted to mention that since RetroUnite, mentioned in the first post, is no longer online in its original location, I've rehosted the original article and download here: https://retrounite.wordpress.com/2021/09/20/return-of-the-fungi-digger-dan-trilogy-simon-hunt/

I'm sure it's been archived elsewhere by this point, but just wanted to provide that update in case anyone found themselves looking for it at the original location! :)

Cheers!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1