IGNORED

Rust + Jaguar?

cubanismo

Although it would be very interesting to see if the LLVM/clang combination can be used for Jaguar development?

If someone could add support for the Atari Jaguar RISC CPUs (inside Tom & Jerry) to the LLVM backend :)

arm-none-eabi
armv7a-none-eabi
arm-linux-gnueabihf 
arm-none-linux-gnueabi
i386-pc-linux-gnu 
x86_64-apple-darwin10
i686-w64-windows-gnu # same as i686-w64-mingw32
x86_64-pc-linux-gnu # from ubuntu 64 bit
x86_64-unknown-windows-cygnus # cygwin 64-bit
x86_64-w64-windows-gnu # same as x86_64-w64-mingw32
i686-pc-windows-gnu # MSVC
x86_64-pc-windows-gnu # MSVC 64-BIT
tomnjerry-risc-cpu # Atari Jaguar 64-BIT

Edited by phoboz

10 hours ago, LordKraken said:

{rust programmer} ∩ {jaguar programmer} = ∅.

Hehe. Looking that way, yeah. For reasons, I could use more excuses to learn more about Rust. I was thinking getting a "Hello World" program running on Jaguar would be good motivation for me, but wanted to see if anyone had already done the legwork.

10 hours ago, phoboz said:

If someone could add support for the Atari Jaguar RISC CPUs (inside Tom & Jerry) to the LLVM backend :)

That's about 100x more effort than what I had in mind, but yeah, that'd be pretty cool. Probably easier than reviving the gcc backend.

• Like 1

but wanted to see if anyone had already done the legwork.

Never heard of Rust in the Jaguar world so far... Now isn't the problem that writing your game exclusively for the 68k is the guarantee to miss the real power of the Jaguar?

Now on Rust itself... We used Rust at work for one (important) project. The language is interesting and the first impression when getting it running from vs code is great. But for people used to the "craziness" of C/C++, the language definitely feels a bit too strict (that's the point one could argue). If you want to feel that, after getting your "hello world" up and running, just write a simple game, a pong for instance. Good luck ;) 

(now for the little story, in the end we delivered the project in time and in a sound state, but it has been a mess to support it since then because finding new hires with Rust expertise happens to be VERY difficult...)

Edited by LordKraken