IGNORED

Were there any impressive 3D games on Apple computers before the mid-90's?

Leeroy ST

By 3D I mean polygon in this case. 

For several computers you can find polygonal impressive (for their time) software starting in the 80's all the way to 1993 before the bigger leaps.

But you don't really hear of impressive polygonal games coming from apple machines during that time frame. Usually it's bare minimum or they are behind.

But I thought maybe some Apple series or early MAC computer users could chime in. Were there impressive 3D polygonal games on Apple computers before the mid-90's??

2 minutes ago, JamesD said:

Filled polygons weren't really a thing in the 80s.
I tried looking up when the filled polygon algorithms were first created, but had no luck.
Wireframe was clearly the thing in the 80s

There were several computer games with filled polygons in the 80's (especially mid onward). On other platforms.

But this thread is specifying apple devices from the 80's until 1993. As from what I can find they were behind on that aspect. 

I thought they had a port of midwinter but seems that was not the case.

6 hours ago, remz said:

I remember Vette! on the classic Macintosh around 1989, with filled polygon. I believe there was a black&white version as well.

It was pretty impressive at the time.

It does seem to be for DOS and Mac. Stutters a bit but it does seem impressive on MAC for 1989 for that device. Though Midwinter came out the same year 

PleasedFrenchFrog-size_restricted.gif

I'm curious if the black and white version increases performance over what's in the above gif.

Although for the time that's actually not that bad. Seems to have a working rev mirror too. Nice. Also people are walking about so that's interesting. Definitely seems ambitious.

Some boats on the left side, those seem to move too.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Keatah said:

Lifestar on the Apple II. Had 2 or 3 polygon-based ships onscreen at once. Is it impressive? To a kid back then unequivocally yes. Today and in perspective? Maybe.

72890342_206a-LifeStar_000000000.png.0e1cbe7eb45c0209e6107ff78913ff9c.png

Now it's a bit iffy on the dates but apparently lifestar came out in 86, so I guess this would depend on if you look at the game broadly or just as an Apple II game.

Broadly probably not, as an Apple II game undeniably.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...