IGNORED

Submarine [Magnavox Odyssey] Port from the PC-50x

Mikebloke

Yes, its another demake for the Magnavox Odyssey! That's the original Odyssey, not the Odyssey 2 of course!

I love the idea of demakes - that is when a game is converted to run on an older system, so naturally that's what I tend to end up doing. 

I also wanted to do a game that required some modification of the Multicard that I had paid to be produced - as some unique features can be created through use of the pins - some of which were never utilised in its original games.

This game can also take benefit of the Rifle, if you have it.

Submarine is a game for 2 players, and uses counters to flip for chance. You can download these with the package, or you can just flip normal coins instead. Like usual, I use OBS through my computer to present an overlay digitally instead of using a 'real' overlay to go on the screen. I've attached pictures of the equipment required (really, the system and the Multicard is the only thing you need) and what it looks like on screen (well, hardly pretty is it!).

DSC_0978.thumb.JPG.165348a9e0e9c423240b48aa137526d8.JPG

It looks more impressive like this than it does on screen!

Using a particular pin layout, we can take advantage of the 'Roulette' game feature where a player square shoots onto the screen - due to the way the Multicard works (happy accident?!) the square shoots from the bottom. This allows for 'Space invader' type games to be made - however its the "bullet" that disappears rather than the victim - but that's just the limitations of the Odyssey system itself. Thanks to the Multicard features, you can replace one of the game elements with the Rifle to make it a little more exciting for the second player.

1219710416_obsscreenshot.thumb.png.ebdc84010caf975ed8464a23728bb084.png

Example of a torpedo going towards the destroyer player using OBS as an overlay screen

I'm still working on the wording of the ruleset, as I think it could be made simpler, and also with pictures. Essentially, you have the Submarine player and the Destroyer player. The destroyer player moves on patrol, the submarine player attempts to torpedo it. If it hits, Destroyer player takes a hit counter. If it misses, the Destroyer player gets to flip a counter to see if they counter attack successfully - Submarine player gets a hit counter if it is successful (this is the part that can be replaced with the Rifle - the Submarine player gets into position and moves like the Destroyer, and then the Destroyer player can attempt to shoot the Submarine). A player that gets 3 hit counters loses.

The other feature is the Ping counters. The Submarine player has to be hidden at the top of the screen (this ensures that when the reset button is pressed to 'fire' it shoots from the bottom to its original position). The submarine player can use a ping counter to reveal themselves (this works both ways of course!) as a way of seeing how close they are to the Destroyer. The Destroyer then flips that ping counter and if their image (the bigger one) lands face up, they can move the submarine to a random position!

I did try the game myself with the gliding feature on and off, if you find the torpedo goes too slow, you can make it faster by turning off the [A 1] switch, also documented in the files.

For those with the multicard, I'll be adding a post in that thread about pin layouts for those that want to experiment - I got a few more ideas up my sleeve.

Included in the Zip file:

Rules in a word document

Overlays including original size and 1080 HD version

Counters to print - sorry I did this on paint and it shows, I stick row 1 and 3 onto card, then cut row 2 and 4 out for the opposite side. Each coin goes with the image below. I wasn't smart enough to align them, so some work required!

Blue are sonar ping counters - smaller shape is the submarine side, bigger shape is the destroyer side - flip decides whether destroyer gets to move submarine player

Orange/Purple is the fire counter for the counter attack flip for result- orange is a hit against the submarine, purple is a miss - or use the rifle settings for more fun

Red counters is for counting hits, these just go face up with the ship hit and are not flipped. 3 counters indicates a lose.

Submarine (Odyssey) Demake.zip

Edited by Mikebloke
  • Like 2

On 10/1/2021 at 5:09 AM, Odysseus said:

Very interesting! Any chance of a physical release?

Thanks! I don't know, probably not to be honest. There is much more established people developing for the Odyssey who are able to make homebrew physical releases for the Odyssey, being based in the UK doesn't help me either, as most owners are in the US (which makes perfect sense!). If one of those developers wanted to support me in making a physical release, I might be up for piggybacking off one of their packs so these demakes can be a bonus game or perhaps even packaging up some of my games into a set. My DM's are open for those who have the means!