IGNORED

GameMaker 2 Studio (Development Tool)

justclaws

• 1 month later...

When I was setting-up my GameMaker2 to build binaries for the VCS, this page is really helpful.
https://help.yoyogames.com/hc/en-us/articles/235186168-Setting-Up-For-Ubuntu

The games work immediately on Windows, with GameMaker, or on an Ubuntu remote host.
Further, those games should also work on the VCS without a change, thanks to AtariOS (Linux).

https://help.yoyogames.com/hc/en-us/articles/235186168-Setting-Up-For-Ubuntu

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Gemintronic said:

Usually storefronts like Steam, Google Play, etc.. require specific things to be added - especially if you're intending it to be on their storefront.

Any clues on how to package up your GMS2 Linux game for the VCS?

I know that at least, Frog Hop and Ato are both games developed using GameMaker2.
Maybe others.

Atari will handle the bundling of packages, for the VCS Store. From conversations with
several developers, I know there are no complex requirements for VCS compatibility, 
and any special libraries that the developer wants can be bundled into the installation.

Steam has a different needs, because the DRM is in the games, and not the platform,
and Steam has a complex API for all sorts of services. The VCS platform is very easy.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey all!

i hope this post is appropriate for this section. I have attempted projects with IntyBasic etc., in the past, and the knowledge I once had of Basic (which I learned on the Commodore 64) is a bit rusty and antiquated. I learned about Game Maker 2 in the Atari VCS forums.

I just wanted to ask if anyone has used this tool, and whether it was flexible enough to develop whatever you want (i.e. a side scroller, etc.) without having to buy a template, like with Unity (otherwise, you have to program what you want from scratch.).

Edit: Thank you in advance for reading my post and responding!

Edited by ColecoGamer

Game Maker was made such that you can go no code to start and then ease your way into scripting.  It's language is very BASIC-like in that there are few things inherent in the code formatting to worry about unlike C (in my opinion).

Trouble is the new project diagram/Visio kinda layout for coding is horrible and weird.  But, if you're not used to the glory days of GM 5 - GMS 1 maybe ignorance is bliss.

Oh, and, don't get me started on the whole need to set up a Linux VM.  Or the fact Opera made Game Maker rent-a-software only.

• Confused 1

@ColecoGamer I can try and clarify if you're confused on a point I made.

Basically, Game Maker has gone though its ups and downs.  It has major advantages and disadvantages.  Some of them can be worked around like the IDE.  There is an alternative called GMEdit on itch: https://yellowafterlife.itch.io/gmedit

I liked Game Maker Studio 1 better but apparently that only compiles 32 bit Linux games.  VCS needs them to be 64 bit.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/21/2022 at 9:51 PM, Gemintronic said:

@ColecoGamer I can try and clarify if you're confused on a point I made.

Basically, Game Maker has gone though its ups and downs.  It has major advantages and disadvantages.  Some of them can be worked around like the IDE.  There is an alternative called GMEdit on itch: https://yellowafterlife.itch.io/gmedit

I liked Game Maker Studio 1 better but apparently that only compiles 32 bit Linux games.  VCS needs them to be 64 bit.

I really appreciate the thorough explanation, @Gemintronic. Thank you!

• Like 1