IGNORED

CoCo3 - how to copy *.dsk to real floppy?

sm3

I have this Color Computer 3 where I just installed a Boomerang E2 (512K). Love the new ports of Defender, Joust, Donkey Kong etc!

I have a CoCoSDC, a real floppy drive with an FD501 and modded MPI (for use on the CoCo3). My question is, what is the procedure to copy a dsk image from the CoCoSDC to a real floppy?

Not been able to find any information on doing this outside of DriveWire. While I've owned this CoCo3 for a number of years, I really haven't done anything with it until now so am a bit clueless. I did manage to format a floppy on the disk drive and read back the contents so at least I know the drive is good.

Thanks.

OK that didn't work. While the FD501 drive works fine if I have it plugged directly into the side of the CoCo3 or in slot 4 of the MPI, I can't get it work while also using the CoCoSDC.

I get ?IO ERROR when I try to access it, although it does seem to make some noise at first before printing the ?IO ERROR

Also, I did type DRIVE 1, OFF. Still doesn't seem to matter. Oh, my switch is set to slot 1 where the CoCoSDC is located and I have the FD501 in slot 4.

I'm wondering if my issue is because the Tandy FD501 is hard coded as drive 0? I'm not sure. I'll be honest, finding information on the internet is a bit difficult for the Color Computer.

10 hours ago, tlindner said:

I would say yes, the command didn't work because your drive is configured as drive 0. Try

Then:

Wow! Thanks, this worked! I really appreciate the help, I just couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong.

I have my CoCoSDC in slot 1 of the MPI with the switch set to 1 and my real FD501 in slot 4. Once I typed the commands you listed, the drive started ticking away and performed the copy.