IGNORED

Latest BIOS password?

Tjl289

6 hours ago, justclaws said:

Yes, it works. I checked immediately after the update. Others also verified this and posted.
The guy (a guy) on Reddit also wrote he was using a Bluetooth keyboard, which would not work for the BIOS screen at all usually.

Hi!  I'm that guy!  To clarify, I'm using the keyboard via wireless dongle on the VCS, sorry for the confusion!  

Anywho, I'm in contact with Atari at the moment, and they've promised to help me figure it out, but I'm anxious to get in!  I was just wondering if maybe you or someone else in the forum had any ideas of what the problem might be? 

Atar!C3l3br8te$50Ye4r$

That is exactly how I've entered the password, on three separate keyboards.  Though my BIOS is updated, I've even tried the older ones multiple times as well.  

8 hours ago, Tjl289 said:

Hi!  I'm that guy!  To clarify, I'm using the keyboard via wireless dongle on the VCS, sorry for the confusion!  

Anywho, I'm in contact with Atari at the moment, and they've promised to help me figure it out, but I'm anxious to get in!  I was just wondering if maybe you or someone else in the forum had any ideas of what the problem might be? 

Atar!C3l3br8te$50Ye4r$

That is exactly how I've entered the password, on three separate keyboards.  Though my BIOS is updated, I've even tried the older ones multiple times as well.  

I’m also in the same boat. I just received my vcs last week and the Piano and Celebrate passwords won’t work. 

• 2 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, PaulXMann said:

I'm about to upgrade my RAM, but from the sound of previous posts, the BIOS password has changed. I have 3,200 MHz RAM sticks, so I want to be able to get in and change the speed settings and GPU allocation. Is it true the "Piano18482" password no longer works, and if so, does anyone know the new one?

Check this thread....

-> VCS BIOS Password

Cheers,

andY

2 hours ago, andymanone said:

Check this thread....

-> VCS BIOS Password

Cheers,

andY

I checked that out first, but it's become somewhat meandering and self-referencing... the most recent discussion of passwords was from back in June. In fact, the entire last page wasn't about passwords at all, but settings retention. And several posts link back to the very, same post. Hopefully someone who has done the more recent bios updates has an answer. 

Edited by PaulXMann

8 hours ago, PaulXMann said:

I checked that out first, but it's become somewhat meandering and self-referencing... the most recent discussion of passwords was from back in June. In fact, the entire last page wasn't about passwords at all, but settings retention. And several posts link back to the very, same post. Hopefully someone who has done the more recent bios updates has an answer. 

The last one I know is: Atar!C3l3br8te$50Ye4r$

(To find in the VCS BIOS Password Thread)

Cheers,

andY

5 hours ago, andymanone said:

The last one I know is: Atar!C3l3br8te$50Ye4r$

(To find in the VCS BIOS Password Thread)

Cheers,

andY

Thanks, yeah, that was the one I was talking about not having been updated since June... if it's still relevant, we should update it so it's back on track talking about passwords again. The post I referenced was from September (about two weeks ago), and at that time, the posters were advising that neither the "Piano" nor "Celebrate" passwords from that old Passwords thread were working. I have my VCS completely disassembled and was hoping to have an answer by the time I put it back together and try to log in, but I guess I'll wait and see what happens! 

58 minutes ago, PaulXMann said:

Thanks, yeah, that was the one I was talking about not having been updated since June... if it's still relevant, we should update it so it's back on track talking about passwords again. The post I referenced was from September (about two weeks ago), and at that time, the posters were advising that neither the "Piano" nor "Celebrate" passwords from that old Passwords thread were working. I have my VCS completely disassembled and was hoping to have an answer by the time I put it back together and try to log in, but I guess I'll wait and see what happens! 

There ist another hack too, to access the Bios,  made by User @Charles Darwin ->  BIOS Hack

I did it too, (by soldering a switch-button to the pins) and it works fine, you can try it - at your own risk -.

Cheers,

andY

21 minutes ago, andymanone said:

There ist another hack too, to access the Bios,  made by User @Charles Darwin ->  BIOS Hack

I did it too, (by soldering a switch-button to the pins) and it works fine, you can try it - at your own risk -.

Cheers,

andY

Noted! Unfortumately, my soldering skills are crap ("skills" is not the right word)... I'll try out the passwords once I have my VCS together again and report back!

2 hours ago, PaulXMann said:

I can confirm 100% (from an Atari contact) that the latest BIOS password set by AtariOS is
the Celebrate one. I also have 2 VCS systems, both upgraded to the latest version of AtariOS
and BIOS (one from the previous version, and one from the original version) and that BIOS
password works perfectly for me on both systems, using various USA layout USB keyboards.

I cannot explain why it doesn't for some. We've tried various suggestions; it makes no sense.

5 minutes ago, justclaws said:

I can confirm 100% (from an Atari contact) that the latest BIOS password set by AtariOS is
the Celebrate one. I also have 2 VCS systems, both upgraded to the latest version of AtariOS
and BIOS (one from the previous version, and one from the original version) and that BIOS
password works perfectly for me on both systems, using various USA layout USB keyboards.

I cannot explain why it doesn't for some. We've tried various suggestions; it makes no sense.

Didn't some people say it works fine with some keyboards but not others?

Does your Atari contact know if they plan to change the PW in the future?

3 minutes ago, zzip said:

Didn't some people say it works fine with some keyboards but not others?

Does your Atari contact know if they plan to change the PW in the future?

I had it confirmed only that the password for the latest BIOS is still unchanged. 
Atar!C3l3br8te$50Ye4r$ 
From other conversations, I don't think they want to allow BIOS access for people with some basic knowledge.

I've used Dell and HP USB keyboards (USA layout), and Logitech and Rapoo wireless USB keyboards (USA layout).
Personally, I think the problems for those 3 people who can't get into the BIOS must be keyboard layout anomalies,
but it's only usually #/£ and \ and ~ and | keys which get screwed up, and the Atari BIOS avoids all difficult ones.
(Normally I'd suspect people had typed a 1 instead of an l (ell), or an O(owe) instead of a zero, but apparently not.)

Bluetooth keyboards absolutely won't work (according to my knowledge or experience) at the BIOS level on any PC
or server I've ever worked with, and the VCS is no different I believe. If in doubt, always plug a wired keyboard in!

1 minute ago, justclaws said:

From other conversations, I don't think they want to allow BIOS access for people with some basic knowledge.

I get that, it could create a support nightmare for them.    But I also thought I saw somewhere they were working on some middle ground to expose the safer bios options to everyone?

4 minutes ago, zzip said:

I get that, it could create a support nightmare for them.    But I also thought I saw somewhere they were working on some middle ground to expose the safer bios options to everyone?

Yes, I read that too, but I understood it's AMD who maintain the BIOS, so I suppose it's a collaboration request which delays things.
Although a lot of us are technical people, there are still many owners, I believe, who will never want to tweak anything in the BIOS!

UPDATE! 

After getting my new SSD and RAM installed and everything screwed back together tonight, I booted into the bios and discovered two things:

1. There's no more bios password! Seriously. I wasn't prompted once, and this was the first time I've entered the bios since I bought it. I guess the latest bios update remove it?
  2. Without any changes from me, the unit is running a 45W TDP (instead of the 35W shown in ETA Prime's video). It seems like the designers felt it was safe to bump it without any other modifications. 

So, all's well that ends well... no password, speedier RAM enabled, more memory devoted to the graphics, and a higher TDP from the factory. Hopefully the bios password is truly and forever a thing of the past! 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, andymanone said:

Cheers,

andY

Be really careful with this.  I did it, messed up and bricked a VCS.  Pushing button causing only Fuji to light up and fan to spin.  No picture, sound or any indication of boot up.

• Sad 2

On 10/2/2021 at 4:13 AM, rayik said:

Be really careful with this.  I did it, messed up and bricked a VCS.  Pushing button causing only Fuji to light up and fan to spin.  No picture, sound or any indication of boot up.

Did you connect the correct pins (red dots)? I have done it now a 100 times or so...no issues at all...but of course there is always a risk!

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Charles Darwin said:

Did you connect the correct pins (red dots)? I have done it now a 100 times or so...no issues at all...but of course there is always a risk!

I connected the correct pins as I soldered a wire to each pin.  But I did connected the wires before powering on.  So they were already connected when I pushed the power switch.  My fault for doing a PC CMOS reset when that was clearly not what you described doing.

I've put that VCS in the box and got a replacement one.  If the bios is ever on line I'll pull the BIOS chip off, reflash it and reinstall.

Edited by rayik
fix spelling

18 hours ago, rayik said:

I connected the correct pins as I soldered a wire to each pin.  But I did connected the wires before powering on.  So they were already connected when I pushed the power switch.  My fault for doing a PC CMOS reset when that was clearly not what you described doing.

I've put that VCS in the box and got a replacement one.  If the bios is ever on line I'll pull the BIOS chip off, reflash it and reinstall.

You mean you still have the original one?
I can supply the download to you directly if you need the Atari Flash package and cannot find it.

• Like 1

@justclaws

Thank you for the offer  I do have the file and flashing instructions.  I need to better read instructions.  I did not try that figuring it was bricked.  Yet the instructions say to do it for unresponsive bricked consoles!  I still have that VCS and will give it a try.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Ok so I just received my Atari VCS today and I can’t get into the BIOS with any of the previously discovered passwords. I’ve tried multiple keyboards and no luck. You can click on the BIOS Password box with a mouse and a digital BIOS keyboard will pop up. Nothing works. This is frustrating because I purchased a 2TB M.2 SSD, upgraded Wi-Fi/Bluetooth card, and 16GB of 3200MHz ram. I guess I’ll have to wait until I can get into the BIOS to upgrade everything. I KNEW THAT I SHOULDNT HAVE UPGRADED THE BIOS! My VCS shipped with BIOS 1.0.20. ?

Current System Software:

Operating System - Version 20210826.135839, production build - P#1205

BIOS - 1.0.23

Screen Shot 2021-10-14 at 3.10.26 AM.png

5 hours ago, ConstititutionalCommando said:
Ok so I just received my Atari VCS today and I can’t get into the BIOS with any of the previously discovered passwords. I’ve tried multiple keyboards and no luck. You can click on the BIOS Password box with a mouse and a digital BIOS keyboard will pop up. Nothing works. This is frustrating because I purchased a 2TB M.2 SSD, upgraded Wi-Fi/Bluetooth card, and 16GB of 3200MHz ram. I guess I’ll have to wait until I can get into the BIOS to upgrade everything. I KNEW THAT I SHOULDNT HAVE UPGRADED THE BIOS! My VCS shipped with BIOS 1.0.20. ?

Current System Software:

Operating System - Version 20210826.135839, production build - P#1205

BIOS - 1.0.23

Screen Shot 2021-10-14 at 3.10.26 AM.png

Have you reached out to Atari at https://atari.gamecentergroup.com/index.php?/VCS/Tickets/Submit ?

• Like 1

Atari needs to update the BIOS because a lot of new owners can't access the BIOS with the latest password.  I submitted a support ticket asking for the BIOS password and they responded with known password: Atar!C3l3br8te$50Ye4r$.  They should simplify the password without all of the special characters in the next BIOS update.

CC455CEB-A1C5-4D7D-82B1-927CDC4843C5.jpeg

Edited by ConstititutionalCommando