IGNORED

Colecovision controller issues questions

Dopy25

15 hours ago, ChildOfCv said:

Okay so one of the Roller Controller outputs is working correctly.  The other has a problem.  The first thing to check is that the pins all make it to the circuit board.

Is there a schematic somewhere that says which pins connect to where on the roller circuit board? I seem to have continuity to all the pins on the board but for some reason it seems like some of the wires are shorted. I could swear I had the meter beep on the same pin for different wires through the cable. It could be my mind playing tricks. It was late last night when I checked, and I wasn't annotating anything, just checking to see if all lines had continuity from the board to the controller plug. 

5 hours ago, Dopy25 said:

Is there a schematic somewhere that says which pins connect to where on the roller circuit board? I seem to have continuity to all the pins on the board but for some reason it seems like some of the wires are shorted. I could swear I had the meter beep on the same pin for different wires through the cable. It could be my mind playing tricks. It was late last night when I checked, and I wasn't annotating anything, just checking to see if all lines had continuity from the board to the controller plug. 

Yeah I have the RC in my schematic set.Coleco.zip

You can look at the PDFs or if you know how to use Kicad, you can go with that.

Edited by ChildOfCv
  • Thanks 1

On 10/19/2021 at 2:35 PM, ChildOfCv said:

Yeah I have the RC in my schematic set.Coleco.zip

You can look at the PDFs or if you know how to use Kicad, you can go with that.

Ok so I looked through the roller controller pages and I will admit I am not as familiar with reading them as I hoped. I did find the board layout with the colors labelled (I added the color. I am pretty sure thats what it means) and am thinking I will desolder the wires at the board and test continuity between each one and resolder them back.

Is it safe to assume that none of them should contact each other? No shorts? 

9 hours ago, ChildOfCv said:

No shorts.  The pages to care about at the moment are 5 and 6.  At the bottom is a list of solder connections and the color of wire that connects to them.  The label says which pin the wire should connect to.

I am not sure why my image did not attach.

This seems to correspond to the pdf layout of the board and I think I got it right.

RollerSCH.thumb.png.0ad3c74051f5b81dc1bde5f72376284e.png

I am pretty sure there were some pins I tested that were shorted to each other. I will test individually by this weekend. When I checked before I was only checking continuity to see if any wires were broke. The thought hadn't crossed my mind that they might be shorted to each other until I got a feeling of deja vu when I tested a few different ones. Can't remember which ones. At that time I was exhausted and wanted sleep.

The glue all over the wires to the board doesn't help. Was that stock?

3 hours ago, Dopy25 said:

I am not sure why my image did not attach.

This seems to correspond to the pdf layout of the board and I think I got it right.

RollerSCH.thumb.png.0ad3c74051f5b81dc1bde5f72376284e.png

I am pretty sure there were some pins I tested that were shorted to each other. I will test individually by this weekend. When I checked before I was only checking continuity to see if any wires were broke. The thought hadn't crossed my mind that they might be shorted to each other until I got a feeling of deja vu when I tested a few different ones. Can't remember which ones. At that time I was exhausted and wanted sleep.

The glue all over the wires to the board doesn't help. Was that stock?

I don't know if it was stock or not, but it's definitely a help to prevent wires from breaking off.  Mine didn't have glue.  And it also broke a few wires while I was tracing it out.

It's possible that Coleco used cables from multiple manufacturers in their builds, which may have had different colored wires.  The color is less important than making sure the numbered pin matches.

It's also of course possible that there were multiple revisions of board.  They don't necessarily change the connections themselves, but may move them around in an attempt to make the traces neater.  There are 2 sides to this that you should verify.  1)  See if the brown wires end up at pin 1 of their respective connectors.  Red at pin 2.  Orange at pin 3, Yellow at pin 4, Green at pin 5, Blue at pin 6, Violet at pin 7, Grey at pin 8, and White at pin 9.  Wow, it's almost as if they decided to follow the electronic parts color band scheme ?

Once you've verified that the colors match the pins (or maybe don't, but you now have the new color to pin map), you can verify that they go to the right place on the board.

Edited by ChildOfCv