IGNORED

Should Atari SA have added a DVD drive to the VCS?

Leeroy ST

While the goal seems to be mixed, it's clear Infogrames Atari SA intended for the VCS to he somewhat competitive, and being able to run windows on it is a plus. It's basically a computer posing as a console.

Well I guess that's not much different from Sony and Microsifts latest offerings...hmm.

But anyway, I think one thing I find baffling is that Atari SA did not include a DVD drive. If you run windows or Linux there is much software on discs, especially if you configure things to run older software. Some software require disc for install, there are still games released on DVD for PC (though more for just the license and 90% of the time the games barely on the disc), and of course DVD playback for movies, and storage for storing files. Maybe also disc burning.

As it is, it seems lacking without the Disc slot. It also would have helped Atari reach more retailers having new fp or third party software in boxes. Making it a more serious competitor to the general consumer.

While pricy for questionable reasons, it's cheaper than the new consoles and has decent specs. It's the one thing they are missing to really sell the "game console" vibe to the general consumer instead of a "dedicated device" vibe, or the "Pi+" reception it's getting now.

It's still not to  late to make another version with one but Atari would likely price the device higher than the current VCS, even though from breakdowns I've seen, the current VCS price is already inflated.

And yes I know the new consoles have 4K BR drives, but PC never really went in that direction and those drives are expensive, unlike cheap DVD drives. It's not really necessary. 

Eh, for those who could get use out of a DVD drive nowadays you can get a pretty inexpensive USB one that would do the trick. Besides adding to the overall size and footprint, you'd raise additional noise concerns, and increase the price, which is already considered too high for some people. 

• Like 3

I’m just using my old Xbox 360 HD DVD drive with my VCS for laughs, but job done it works a treat on Windows 10 and I’m able to install my disc based PC games and watch DVD’s. I definitely think Atari made the right call not adding a drive to the VCS it’s good that the console is open though and you can pretty much upgrade and add as you like. 

• Like 2

I don't believe the Atari VCS or Atari SA wanted to compete with anybody. I think it was a cost and development benefit on Atari SA to just do a mini PC in an updated Atari VCS shell. They made it just powerful enough to be able to run some games from other streaming services and easy enough for the home brew community to take advantage of. If they included a DVD drive, then people would've demanded physical releases and Atari SA wants no part of that. 

15 hours ago, Atari_JaguarVCS said:

I’m just using my old Xbox 360 HD DVD drive with my VCS for laughs, but job done it works a treat on Windows 10 and I’m able to install my disc based PC games and watch DVD’s. I definitely think Atari made the right call not adding a drive to the VCS it’s good that the console is open though and you can pretty much upgrade and add as you like. 

I agree totally. The VCS has no moving parts, just like the original 2600/VCS hardware will have a long life as a result.
I have also connected a cheap USB DVD to the system, to install some old Windows games in PC-Mode, no problem.
The reviews would have all been saying things like "Atari discovers the DVD drive years after everybody else abandons them"
or some such comment. I imagine also "new VCS only has DVD, and not BlueRay". No, very few people actually wanted DVD.

I've personally never installed Linux software from DVD, except the operating system, and I've used Flash installs for 15-20 years.

There is so much available digitally.   The PC game market moved beyond discs awhile ago, so you don't feel like you are missing anything by not having a DVD.   If you really need one, you can get a USB one for not much money.   This one is only $22

https://www.amazon.com/External-CD-DVD-Drive-Compatible/dp/B07MJW5BXZ/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=external+usb+dvd&qid=1633353836&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&smid=A1IFALQUYV0JUU&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzM0NMOEhJUElSQ0ROJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNDk5ODQzM0NXQ0M0UVRJUktJNCZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwODAzMTMwMVNYWUdBMTVKR1E1SyZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Edited by zzip
  • Like 1

Totally against this idea...  I've played all manner of games and consoles from the past 40-odd years, and have run all kinds of software on PCs, Macs, Chromebooks, Linux, and various other devices, and for at least the past 10 years or so, have really not have had need for a disc drive (not since PS3-era, basically). Adding one would add easily broken, outdated, bulky, and questionable functionality to a device whose functionality is already being questioned. And it would cost more.

If the VCS was going to go with physical media, it should be a cartridge (i.e., embrace retro). But that's not what they're trying to do. 

• Like 1

Less moving parts means less broken VCS' and warranty claims for the company and they can save on manufacturing and shipping costs of physical media. It's just more cost effective these days. DVDs have been long gone for a while now, Blu Rays are on their way out as well. There isn't really a need for games on disc anymore. Physical media is great for collectors but that's really it. Although I think having some sort of Physical media like an RFID card with some nice box art like what Intellivision is doing with the Amico would be cool.