IGNORED

Getting ready for Forza Horizon 5

Is anyone else really excited for this game?  I'm a huge huge huge racing game fan and somehow I never bothered with the Forza series (horizon or motorsport) until this summer and I've been completely floored with how good they are, specifically the more arcadey Horizon ones..  I even preordered the hideously ugly Forza themed controller for the used xbox one (i wish i bought the X instead) i bought a month ago.  It's basically my forza machine now, but that's okay.

One thing I hate is that you cannot buy any of the expansion packs for most of these games anymore :(   So I'm missing huge chunks of the previous games (mostly forza horizon 2 and 3).  Anyone else like this franchise?  I can't believe I slept on it all these years.

Also, i've never played online on xbox live.. how does it compare to sony's online infrastructure?  I'm in a quandry also because it's free day one on gamepass.. but i dont want to keep paying 15 dollars a month just for gamepass if the only games i'm playing are these forza racing games..  i thought xbox was free online play for some reason too..  but this controller is so ugly it's gorgeous.

Xbox Wireless Controller – Forza Horizon 5 Limited Edition | Xbox

• Like 1

After hearing nothing but good things, I bought FH4 on PC a couple years back..  But I have to say..  I don't get it?    It looks gorgeous but hasn't been particularly fun to play.   What am I missing?    Maybe I'm just burned out from playing too many racing/driving games and they all start to feel the same after awhile.

Is it because it's open world?  Honestly I've never been a big fan of open world racing games.  I just picked up Test Drive Unlimited 1 and 2 for the 360 and eh.. not feeling them.   These kind of changed my mind a little bit on the open world games.  Picked up the 360 version of Blur (def my top three racing games) and I was shocked how much better the 360 looks on modern displays (4k) than the PS3 version.  I never knew the PS3 had no upscaler.  A remaster of Blur would be amazing, too bad that game didn't do well, they had a sequel in mind :(

8 minutes ago, NeonSpaceBeagle said:

Is it because it's open world?  Honestly I've never been a big fan of open world racing games.  I just picked up Test Drive Unlimited 1 and 2 for the 360 and eh.. not feeling them.   These kind of changed my mind a little bit on the open world games.  Picked up the 360 version of Blur (def my top three racing games) and I was shocked how much better the 360 looks on modern displays (4k) than the PS3 version.  I never knew the PS3 had no upscaler.  A remaster of Blur would be amazing, too bad that game didn't do well, they had a sequel in mind :(

I did like open world racers.   I played the hell out of "The Crew",  but when Crew 2 came, I wasn't feeling it as much,  maybe I just burned out on that formula

I couldn't get into either of the crew games.. I did like the boat racing in the crew 2 though because it felt a bit like hydro thunder.  that's another i finally was able to get to play recently, Hydro Thunder Hurricane for 360.  shiiiiiiit, it's waaaaay too hard though, i can't seem to get beyond the third water course. :(

57 minutes ago, NeonSpaceBeagle said:

Is anyone else really excited for this game?  I'm a huge huge huge racing game fan and somehow I never bothered with the Forza series (horizon or motorsport) until this summer and I've been completely floored with how good they are, specifically the more arcadey Horizon ones..  I even preordered the hideously ugly Forza themed controller for the used xbox one (i wish i bought the X instead) i bought a month ago.  It's basically my forza machine now, but that's okay.

One thing I hate is that you cannot buy any of the expansion packs for most of these games anymore :(   So I'm missing huge chunks of the previous games (mostly forza horizon 2 and 3).  Anyone else like this franchise?  I can't believe I slept on it all these years.

Also, i've never played online on xbox live.. how does it compare to sony's online infrastructure?  I'm in a quandry also because it's free day one on gamepass.. but i dont want to keep paying 15 dollars a month just for gamepass if the only games i'm playing are these forza racing games..  i thought xbox was free online play for some reason too..  but this controller is so ugly it's gorgeous.

Xbox Wireless Controller – Forza Horizon 5 Limited Edition | Xbox

I am. They've suckered me into digital deluxe for #3 and #4, which in the long run paid off for me because I've sunk hundreds of hours in the Horizon and Motorsport games.  I'll be buying the digital deluxe for 5, but I'm waiting till closer to launch.

I can't speak for Playstation's network, but I've never had any issues when I've played *shudder* online with other racers for Horizon and Motorsport using XBL.  

My only beef with Horizon is after a little while I just really hate the DJ chatter and I mostly hate ANNA and am grateful you can turn it off.  :)

I'm going to buy the base game physically since I have the other ones that way as well and then maybe wait for the sale for the expansion packs and stuff like that..  im really new to the xbox ecosystem (except for the OG xbox, though i never played online), do they have frequent sales for digital games?  I'm not a fan of digital, but at the same time they almost have really deep discounts at some point of another on playstation..  Unlike nintendo with their once every two years 3 dollars off Mario Kart 8th Deluxe type of sales.

I did play FH4 for a bit recently, just wanted to check out what modern racers are like. The racing itself was pretty good, but one thing that put me off was that you have to actually drive to every race. That's a crazy design decision (yeah, I know you could buy some houses after grinding for hours, but it's not really helping much). Also, the whole vibe of the game - the characters mainly -  was pretty bland and lifeless. I wouldn't say the gfx was that stunning - cars, maybe, but the rest was just okay. Overall, it's a competent racer but not something I'd buy full price...more like a brand/product lacking real spirit and character.