IGNORED

Custom Amiga 1200 build

Daedalus2097

Just finished this build for another member of the Scottish Amiga Users Group. It has a new white ReAmiga 1200 motherboard, a new A1200.net translucent case, a mini Gotek and custom bracket, with on-screen display and keyboard control, and a Solas board to provide the RGB lighting (as well as some other functions). Might not be to everyone's tastes, but it's quite the eye-catching machine. I'll be sorry to be passing this one back to its owner!

DSC_7308.jpg

DSC_7280.jpg

DSC_7305.jpg

DSC_7253-small.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I would not own something like this as I feel it is tacky as hell and impractical.  That said, it is indeed eye-catching and a pretty piece of eye candy, especially with 3.2 under the hood.  Nice work.  Now, I guess the ReAmiga board supports a dual Kickstart, right?

Ha yes, chrome FTW :D

Yeah, the looks won't appeal to everyone, but the general practicality isn't affected - the Gotek can be controlled from the keyboard and has an on-screen overlay so there's no need to use the small screen and controls, and the RGB lighting is software controlled from Workbench, so can easily be turned off or toned down with a couple of clicks. The Re1200 motherboard does indeed have ROM switching built in - I added a small switch at the back of the case to select the ROM, and the SD card includes 3.1 and 3.2 OS installations.

• Like 2

The RGB controller reads the audio output at a hardware level, so any sound from games or music players can be used to trigger animations without any software required.

It doesn't have ARexx support just yet, but I'm working on it ;) Currently it can react to audio, disk access or Shell commands aside from the main configuration program.

8 hours ago, shoestring said:

There's a potentiometer near the Gotek, that must be for the RGB lighting adjustment.

It's actually a rotary encoder for the Gotek, so you can easily scroll through the entries, selecting by pushing on the shaft. Works well, but with the keyboard shortcuts isn't really necessary. Adjusting the lighting is done through the software, which looks like this:

SolasControl-1.png.9c78088f2c3fbc99b349eed07ba7c3e9.png

Edited by Daedalus2097
  • Like 1

Yep, the clockport address space is mirrored across 4 ranges starting at $D80001, $D84001, $D88001 and $D8C001. A directly connected device normally sits at $D80001, but most drivers will check all 4 addresses, so they can be used with clockport splitters. The Solas board internally responds at $D8C001, which allows the lower three (including the original address) to be used for other clockport devices at the same time.