IGNORED

PentaGo

darryl1970

@darryl1970

How does it proceed?

Any clue to when it’s completed and ready for release?

Can demo-players (here) help you in giving feedback in playtesting/de-bugging it?

- - -

My own situation right now have me stuck with an iphone and an ipad… cannot much more than these devices allow. So it is.

But, man, do I look forward to play this game hands-on… ???

Edited by Giles N
  • Like 1

On 10/17/2021 at 5:36 AM, darryl1970 said:

I agree the "Alternative" / 5200 is my preferred experience. I also prefer it miles ahead of the GameGear and Genesis music. Popcorn is my second favorite, but it's not original to the game.

I'm obviously not 100% certain, but I'd wager that Popcorn is the original Pengo music. In Japan and any arcade I went to in Asia when the game was brand new.. all of them had Popcorn.  'Course I guess they played fast and loose in the video game world back then with copyright material. :lol:

It was only when I saw the game on US-created Starcade on TV did I realize there was one with different music (and also didn't have the "screen clearing" at the beginning of each round which I thought was really odd).  I was actually pretty glad when I found the 5200 version had the US music because I thought it was something different. :)

• Like 1

Hey Darryl @darryl1970,

THAT'S SOME GAME and a nice pick for the soundtrack from when I was a kid growing up listening to 70s Top-40 AM radio (93 KHJ) BITD, "Popcorn" by Hot Butter. :) 

I'd love to do a review on her someday on The Atari Report - 7800 Edition, much like I did with your other masterpiece, Popeye.

Right about now production of TAR has been put off for quite some time due to my HD CapturePro dying on me a couple of months ago, I have to get another one so I can review it and present it properly (a direct tap to the display, in which is the big change from Season 1, rather than pointing the camcorder towards the TV like we did all last season).

Edited by BIGHMW
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Giles N said:

@darryl1970

Any clue to when it’s completed and ready for release?

No. I feel as if it could be considered done at this point. I think it's pretty balances and bug-free.  However, there may be a few more surprises with it. IDK.

The other problem is that it's more complex than me saying, "It's done." Popeye has been done for a long time, but the box, labels, and manual were tedious. Once I had a decent idea of the basic format, I found that some of my dimensions were still off. Then there was proof-reading by Al. He found a lot of things that I just would not have seen. I can't imagine having to do this for multiple games. With that, it went back and forth.

Also, I had people offering to help with box art and stuff for Popeye. There doesn't seem to be the same excitement around Pengo. I am not even sure if Al is interested in Pengo. He may have too much other stuff going on, but I do not have artwork to even start a box, manual, and labels.

18 hours ago, Giles N said:

Can demo-players (here) help you in giving feedback in playtesting/de-bugging it?

I welcome feedback for any issues noticed. There are some issues that have been addressed since the last demo release. I am not looking for suggested functionality though.

16 hours ago, NE146 said:

I'm obviously not 100% certain, but I'd wager that Popcorn is the original Pengo music. In Japan and any arcade I went to in Asia when the game was brand new.. all of them had Popcorn.  'Course I guess they played fast and loose in the video game world back then with copyright material. :lol:

It was only when I saw the game on US-created Starcade on TV did I realize there was one with different music (and also didn't have the "screen clearing" at the beginning of each round which I thought was really odd).  I was actually pretty glad when I found the 5200 version had the US music because I thought it was something different. :)

That was poorly worded on my behalf. Here's were I clarified that statement. (I thought I already responded to this, but I can't find my reply. If this is a repeat response on my part, I apologize.) I know Popcorn was the original song chosen, but the alternate tune is original TO Pengo. I find that more fitting for an 80's game, where the games defined sounds and music that never existed before the game. To me, that makes it more special.

As for seeing Pengo oversee, that's pretty cool. Were they in candy cabinets, or were they like the ones we have at that time? I wonder if the copyright issue wasn't an issue there.

14 hours ago, BIGHMW said:

Hey Darryl @darryl1970,

THAT'S SOME GAME and a nice pick for the soundtrack from when I was a kid growing up listening to 70s Top-40 AM radio (93 KHJ) BITD, "Popcorn" by Hot Butter. :) 

Thanks. As you may have read, I believe Popcorn was the first song in the release. By the time I saw it in the arcade, it had already been converted. I also had the 5200 version before seeing the arcade, so Popcorn was weird when I first saw it in MAME. Both are fun tunes.

I'd love to do a review on her someday on The Atari Report - 7800 Edition, much like I did with your other masterpiece, Popeye.

Thank you.

Right about now production of TAR has been put off for quite some time due to my HD CapturePro dying on me a couple of months ago, I have to get another one so I can review it and present it properly (a direct tap to the display, in which is the big change from Season 1, rather than pointing the camcorder towards the TV like we did all last season).

That's a bummer. I hope you can get things working again.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, darryl1970 said:

There doesn't seem to be the same excitement around Pengo.

I don’t know how strict use of old art from back in the days when these games where making waves, are as of today.

Here is some old poster-thing I found and gave a tiny edit.

FC869458-AE43-49BD-9650-A8AD18BBBBA4.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks @Giles N. I appreciate the ideas. I am pretty far off from being able to start packaging at this time.

I will need very high resolution art for print, and I would want to get permission from the author. If you have information about the artist or links to where the artist posts his or her art, I could email them to ask.

I think that I would probably shy away from the original Atari artwork, if possible. They had great art. Most of the images, Internet or scanned, are going to have artifacts from the original box print.

If you have the site for the artist with the custom work or any other ideas, feel free to send me a private message.

--Darryl

On 10/28/2021 at 4:29 PM, Bill Loguidice said:

This is fantastic. It's a great game and concept and I'm 100% onboard with tweaked difficulty versus the arcade original.

With my handfull of 7800-projects, I’m into probably ordering 3 in the first place… when everything’s ready for release…

Edited by Giles N
  • Like 1