IGNORED

BPM Boy (by RetroNinja) - (in VCS Store)

justclaws

• 2 weeks later...

BPM BOY HAS GONE GOLD!

For those that don't know (especially since development terms have been co-opted and misused), "Gold" means the game is ready to release and it's off to the manufacturer... or in this case, Atari.

Just in case the movie I attach here doesn't work, here's a link to the announcement that BPM Boy has gone gold for the Atari VCS:

https://streamable.com/6hb69q

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Happy to get back to my solo-dev roots; 9 months, including 2 months off on other projects, but BPM Boy is finally here!
My mother's favorite game was Marble Madness and I felt the need to pay homage to her, as well as just making a fun little arcade game.
Timed-exclusive on Atari VCS; other platforms... going to be a while. ?

• Like 5

Is this for real coming out tomorrow?  I am totally excited for the first VCS Exclusive game.  It looks so awesome in the videos.  I am trying to get AMaze out for the NUON and this comes out...  Marble Madness FTW!  I love the funky robot you have putting it out there!

Just turned on my VCS and I see BPM Boy in the VCS store.

I was fairly excited until I saw it was $20 as for some reason I was expecting it to be less.

Without a Classic Joystick control that is suitable for play, I am on the fence with this game for now.

I am curious if it will work well with my Atari Arcade Stick.

Can we get a free demo in the VCS store with a few playable levels?

Are the online leaderboards working? Were boss fights added as was mentioned earlier?

How many levels are in the game?

For now sadly, I may be holding off on this one.

Edited by E. King

@E. King

1) The game can technically be played with the Classic Controller, its just not as enjoyable.  So even though the functionality is there, its not listed as being supported. 

2) There are 34 levels.  Additionally, because the game uses earned XP to unlock later levels, you're encouraged to replay levels to improve your time, collect all of the notes, and find the "Fuji" secrets hidden in each level. 

3) Online leaderboards work but use the name you pick in the game and not your VCS username.  This is because the VCS leaderboard functionality wasn't available as the game was being built so the dev used his own system (similar to the implementation in Guntech 2.0).   

4) I haven't got to a boss fight yet but its still early in the day! ;)

Its a fun game with great music, level design and is unique in the VCS library. If you enjoy platform games of the roller variety, its an easy recommendation at $20.  Plus, its a true VCS exclusive!

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, zzip said:

Just picked it up on my lunch break and played a quick round.   Looks great!   I'm confused by the red gates though,  it implies that you can't pass until they open, yet I can jump over them?  Is that how it's supposed to work?

You press "B" to change the color of BPM Boy between Red and Blue.  This will allow you to pass through gates, roll over platforms, and cross certain bridges.

Just now, SabertoothRetro said:

You press "B" to change the color of BPM Boy between Red and Blue.  This will allow you to pass through gates, roll over platforms, and cross certain bridges.

So I'm supposed to turn red to go through the gate,  not simply jump over lol?    Is that a bug?

5 minutes ago, zzip said:

But what I'm saying is it seemed like I could just hit the jump button and bypass the gate, no matter what color I was

I think if you have enough height and momentum you can bound over the gates.  Otherwise, you should be bouncing back.  On a normal jump I haven't been able to clear a gate.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, zzip said:

You can pair modern playstation/xbox controllers with the VCS if you have any.   Not too familar with the Atari Arcade stick.

Thanks but I am trying to avoid modern dual analog controllers as weird as that may sound to most people.

So far my impressions of the game are extremely positive, it’s plays and looks absolutely amazing! it’s great to see a game like this on the VCS and should also hopefully show haters of the VCS that the system can indeed push out visually stunning games with the right developer working with it. I also gave the game a quick test with the joystick it’s actually not to bad to be honest but I could imagine it being a bit more difficult to use as the game progresses perhaps. I’m looking forward to spending more time with the game later. I can see myself playing this on and off over the weekend. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, SizzleAtari said:

Bought it right away. Not really what I was expecting. Price point is probably too high for this one. Regret my purchase honestly. Appreciate the effort in making the game, but probably won't spend much time with this one.

I have not bought it but I was thinking the same thing that it looks more like a $10 game.  I guess the exclusivity makes it a higher price tag which is understandable. If this game was on Steam I could see it selling at $8 to $10.