IGNORED

BPM Boy (by RetroNinja) - (in VCS Store)

justclaws

I guess it all depends on how much content there is to play.  To me $20 is a little steep but maybe the amount of content is worth that price.  I'll give it a go anyway... if only to support the dev and Atari.  I have never played anything like it before and it looks like fun.  I have more experience with traditional platformers, arcade style games and FPS.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, SizzleAtari said:

Bought it right away. Not really what I was expecting. Price point is probably too high for this one. Regret my purchase honestly. Appreciate the effort in making the game, but probably won't spend much time with this one.

What were you expecting? It is an exclusive and I expect the VCS exclusives to sell for higher prices. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Atari_JaguarVCS said:

So far my impressions of the game are extremely positive, it’s plays and looks absolutely amazing! it’s great to see a game like this on the VCS and should also hopefully show haters of the VCS that the system can indeed push out visually stunning games with the right developer working with it. I also gave the game a quick test with the joystick it’s actually not to bad to be honest but I could imagine it being a bit more difficult to use as the game progresses perhaps. I’m looking forward to spending more time with the game later. I can see myself playing this on and off over the weekend. 

Thank you very much. Glad you're having fun... This made my morning.

I really wanted to make something that had "retro DNA" but was "modern". As a person who grew up with and has been working in the videogame business for the majority of my life (I've been making games for 40 years, this year), I love old / retro experiences, but there are few and far between that I want to go back and put hours into. I keep thinking how great would it be to get that old "feel" and "flavor", but a bit smoothed out and modern, and that's largely what RetroNinja's about; old meets new.

I also really wanted to make something that showed what the machine could do (or at least what *I* could do solo with the machine in ~9 months).

Anyway, glad you're having fun.  More to come, so stay tuned.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, E. King said:

I have not bought it but I was thinking the same thing that it looks more like a $10 game.  I guess the exclusivity makes it a higher price tag which is understandable. If this game was on Steam I could see it selling at $8 to $10.

This isn't a hobby for me, I don't work on games in my "spare time", I'm a professional game maker and have been for 40 years now. This game represents 20 hour days for 9 months (less, really) in an attempt to bolster the Atari VCS' library, as well as show what's possible. The game is exclusive to the platform that I'm trying to bolster and won't be on a platform such as Steam.  Ignoring the massive amount of shovelware on Steam (and some other platforms, tbh), they have user bases that are in the millions, not in the thousands, which also factors into pricing. ?‍♂️

I'm sorry my game looks like a budget game to you. I don't expect the game to be for everyone, so that's fine.

Maybe I'll be able to hit the mark for you, next time. ?‍♂️

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, Atari_JaguarVCS said:

I’m still enjoying the game so far it’s super addictive! I was up till the early hours playing it so for me it was worth the price and I’d 100 percent buy it again. I think it’s worth more than the asking price tbh it’s priced £15.98 here in the UK I’d gladly have payed £19.99. 

I knew the price would be controversial, especially after Donut Dodo decided to launch at $5 (I think that's a $10, easily, but that's my opinion).

I intend on supporting BPM quite a bit, too. I don't think it's appropriate to have such a screen inside game or on the store page, but more content is coming. Not just because of the price, but because I want to... I have more that I'd like to pour into the game, but I needed to ship it (especially in light of the people who were starving for VCS games). By getting the game into people's hands, I can also judge what new content makes the most sense to focus on, versus just some task list I made 8 months ago. ?

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Tony Barnes said:

I knew the price would be controversial, especially after Donut Dodo decided to launch at $5 (I think that's a $10, easily, but that's my opinion).

I intend on supporting BPM quite a bit, too. I don't think it's appropriate to have such a screen inside game or on the store page, but more content is coming. Not just because of the price, but because I want to... I have more that I'd like to pour into the game, but I needed to ship it (especially in light of the people who were starving for VCS games). By getting the game into people's hands, I can also judge what new content makes the most sense to focus on, versus just some task list I made 8 months ago. ?

I haven’t purchased the game yet, but $20 seems fair to me, especially when I have spent $70+ on games for modern console systems.

I wouldn’t concern yourself with complaints regarding the price. I mean no disrespect to those who have complained, but if $20 is too much for them to spend on a brand-new, exclusive game for the VCS (or any other console system for that matter), then they are in the wrong hobby.

Just my 2 cents.

I plan on buying BPM Boy and enjoying it. Congratulations on the release, btw! Don’t allow the negativity to dampen your spirits either; the VCS and its users want (and need) people like you to support the system!

Edited by ColecoGamer
  • Like 5

8 minutes ago, ColecoGamer said:

I haven’t purchased the game yet, but $20 seems fair to me, especially when I have spent $70+ on games for modern console systems.

I wouldn’t concern yourself with complaints regarding the price. I mean no disrespect to those who have complained, but if $20 is too much for them to spend on a brand-new, exclusive game for the VCS (or any other console system for that matter), then they are in the wrong hobby.

Just my 2 cents.

I plan on buying BPM Boy and enjoying it. Congratulations on the release, btw! Don’t allow the negativity to dampen your spirits either; the VCS and its users want (and need) people like you to support the system!

Thanks.  And I've been in this game of making games for a LONG time. I've been on some pretty high-profile franchises and worked at companies that were once beloved and now hated (that seems to be a trend in the biz, in general tbh), so I've got a thick (enough) skin. 

Plus, I get it... I mean, I don't "get" $10, but I get $20 causing a pause... unfortunately.  But I feel the value, passion and dedication to the platform are there.

As I've said before, I intend on supporting BPM for some time. Even if no one said anything about the price, I have a post-release roadmap that I think will be a huge value add. I do these things not just to pay my bills, but because I enjoy making games so much that I feel the need to be constantly making them. At 50, there's only so many 7-year / 200-people AAA-extravaganzas that I didn't have 100% control over, left in me. I'd much rather spend my time making arcade-type games in 3 / 6 / 9 months, for people that actually want them... even if that means top ramen and no fancy office. BPM will be supported for free, as will all my games to be released on the VCS.

Anyway, glad people are enjoying the game. That really does mean a lot to me.

Hopefully, anyone not having fun or put off, I hope I can get you on the next one, because I have more to come!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Mockduck said:

What is the button to break cages? I can't tell if it is hitting A or B twice, holding it down, pressing once and ramming it or what. I seem to ricochet off the cage a lot, seems like I am doing it wrong.

It's hitting the A button twice. I find that it's best to release the thumbstick as you hit the cage so that you land squarely on the base.

3 hours ago, Tony Barnes said:

This isn't a hobby for me, I don't work on games in my "spare time", I'm a professional game maker and have been for 40 years now. This game represents 20 hour days for 9 months (less, really) in an attempt to bolster the Atari VCS' library, as well as show what's possible. The game is exclusive to the platform that I'm trying to bolster and won't be on a platform such as Steam.  Ignoring the massive amount of shovelware on Steam (and some other platforms, tbh), they have user bases that are in the millions, not in the thousands, which also factors into pricing. ?‍♂️

I'm sorry my game looks like a budget game to you. I don't expect the game to be for everyone, so that's fine.

Maybe I'll be able to hit the mark for you, next time. ?‍♂️

I can very much appreciate the time and effort you have put into BPM Boy.  Not having played it, I could be completely wrong in my previous assessment and only making an initial opinion based on what I have seen of your game which is surprisingly very little. 

As much as I really like the VCS, I am not one to just buy a game just because it is an exclusive.  I still have not purchased Kombinera since it did not look like a game I would enjoy even though so many others have.  Not every game is for every gamer but I think BPM Boy looks like way more fun than Kombinera and I would 100% buy BPM Boy before I bought Kombinera.  If I do buy BPM Boy, it will be mostly for review purposes as I have not really seen any reviews on it yet so others on the fence might benefit from me giving an honest review of my experience playing it. 

I searched Youtube and have still not found anyone post a gameplay video of complete levels with music sound. Davpa had a nice video where he did show 2 levels but it was without sound for some odd reason and I thought it could be due to copyright claims on the music.

Is the music creator copyright claiming gameplay video of this game? If I were to purchase the game, which I still might, I would want to make numerous videos showing the gameplay with the music and give my review of the game. 

If I do decide to buy it and give it a fun run of play, will I be able to post videos with music without getting a copyright claim?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Clint Thompson said:

For anyone thinking $20 is too much for a newly developed game of this apparent quality, I highly advise you to stay very, very far away from the Atari Jaguar lol

Very big difference between spending $20 on a non-refundable digital game that can not be resold or refunded compared to spending money on a collectable physical game cartridge that can be resold and possibly even go up in value.

I can very much appreciate the time and effort you have put into BPM Boy.  Not having played it, I could be completely wrong in my previous assessment and only making an initial opinion based on what I have seen of your game which is surprisingly very little. 

As much as I really like the VCS, I am not one to just buy a game just because it is an exclusive.  I still have not purchased Kombinera since it did not look like a game I would enjoy even though so many others have.  Not every game is for every gamer but I think BPM Boy looks like way more fun than Kombinera and I would 100% buy BPM Boy before I bought Kombinera.  If I do buy BPM Boy, it will be mostly for review purposes as I have not really seen any reviews on it yet so others on the fence might benefit from me giving an honest review of my experience playing it. 

I searched Youtube and have still not found anyone post a gameplay video of complete levels with music sound. Davpa had a nice video where he did show 2 levels but it was without sound for some odd reason and I thought it could be due to copyright claims on the music.

Is the music creator copyright claiming gameplay video of this game? If I were to purchase the game, which I still might, I would want to make numerous videos showing the gameplay with the music and give my review of the game. 

If I do decide to buy it and give it a fun run of play, will I be able to post videos with music without getting a copyright claim?

I also created all the music in the game, so I seriously doubt there's any copyright claims and if their are, they aren't from me. ?

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, E. King said:

Very big difference between spending $20 on a non-refundable digital game that can not be resold or refunded compared to spending money on a collectable physical game cartridge that can be resold and possibly even go up in value.

It's also more unnecessary plastic that will end up in landfills. Aside from a few gems here and there, most of those Atari Jaguar games are garbage to be quite honest. It's 2022, everything is digital now. The days of game cartridges are long gone and even the modern day disc games are on their way out. Physical media is dying man. With the rising cost of inflation, oil prices and everything it's just not cost effective anymore. I understand the nostalgia factor of people wanting to collect things but it's not cost effective anymore for a company to ship game cartridges at reasonable prices especially now with inflation and the rising cost of oil prices and everything going in the world.

2 minutes ago, Djmicklovin said:

It's also more unnecessary plastic that will end up in landfills. Aside from a few gems here and there, most of those Atari Jaguar games are garbage to be quite honest. It's 2022, everything is digital now. The days of game cartridges are long gone and even the modern day disc games are on their way out. Physical media is dying man. With the rising cost of inflation, oil prices and everything it's just not cost effective anymore. I understand the nostalgia factor of people wanting to collect things but it's not cost effective anymore for a company to ship game cartridges at reasonable prices especially now with inflation and the rising cost of oil prices and everything going in the world.

While I very much disagree with you, I will refrain from getting into a digital media vs physical debate since that is not what this thread is about. I am sure there are plenty of other threads in Atari Age forums for that debate but thanks for sharing your opinion.

32 minutes ago, E. King said:

While I very much disagree with you, I will refrain from getting into a digital media vs physical debate since that is not what this thread is about. I am sure there are plenty of other threads in Atari Age forums for that debate but thanks for sharing your opinion.

Are people really complaining about $20 on a game this man has spent several months working hard on and went out of his way to make exclusives for the VCS to bring us some much needed content after a long drought? I mean $20 vs $70 for some of the new Xbox and PS5 releases is nothing. You can't even fill your gas tank for $20 anymore. That's a bargain compared to what the big three charges for some of these new AAA games. 

Fifa 22 is $90 on PS5 and Xbox, and I think that is a ridiculous price. Not for me but im sure there are still fans of the series willing to pay that.

Edited by Djmicklovin
  • Like 3

20 minutes ago, Djmicklovin said:

Are people really complaining about $20 on a game this man has spent several months working hard on and went out of his way to make exclusives for the VCS to bring us some much needed content after a long dry spell? I mean $20 vs $70 for some of the new Xbox and PS5 releases is nothing. You can't even fill your gas tank for $20 anymore. That's a bargain compared to what the big three charges for some of these new AAA games. 

Fifa 22 is $90 on PS5 and Xbox, and I think that is a ridiculous price. Not for me but im sure there are still fans of the series willing to pay that.

I wouldn't know anything about that since I do not have a PS5 or an XBOX Series X and have zero intention of ever getting one.

Comparing Atari VCS games to PS5 games seems unfair to me though but again that seems like a topic for another thread.

Please though, maybe you can share if you have purchased BPM Boy and what your thoughts are on this game to help others like myself make an informed decision on buying the game.

If you think it is a great $20 game, please tell me why you think that after having played it.

Thanks again.

Edited by E. King

11 minutes ago, The Helper said:

I am amazed that the 20 dollar price tag on this game is an issue.  The developer already said what he put into it.  A deal at twice the price!

Have you bought it? If so, please share your thoughts on the gameplay experience.

I wouldn't know anything about that since I do not have a PS5 or an XBOX Series X and have zero intention of ever getting one.

Comparing Atari VCS games to PS5 games seems unfair to me though but again that seems like a topic for another thread.

Please though, maybe you can share if you have purchased BPM Boy and what your thoughts are on this game to help others like myself make an informed decision on buying the game.

If you think it is a great $20 game, please tell me why you think that after having played it.

Thanks again.

I’m just putting things into perspective. If people want to complain about prices when they could be paying like $90 for Fifa. That in my opinion is not a good value. But i’m sure there are people that love those games, so i’m not gonna judge. It’s their money.

Atari VCS releases are few and far in between. So just appreciate the few developers still interested in making games for the system. Complaining about $20 really does a disservice to the developer who put months of hard work into it and other VCS games.

The game is fun and reminds me of Jet Grind Radio and Bomberman 64 with the Jazzy music and all. That is the generation of games I grew up with. This is also one of the few if not the only game in the store that really shows off the power of the VCS, and it’s an exclusive. That is well worth the cost in my opinion. And the fact that he has other games in development for the VCS. So we should pay him for his work. $20 is fair.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, E. King said:

Thanks again.

Can you explain why you’re crapping all over the developer’s game? Sure, you like physical releases and dislike digital, but your passive aggressiveness on the topic is pretty telling. I respect your opinion on preferring physical releases, but it seems like your destain for BPM Boy is a bit deeper than it just being $20. Care to elaborate?

1 minute ago, ColecoGamer said:

Can you explain why you’re crapping all over the developer’s game? Sure, you like physical releases and dislike digital, but your passive aggressiveness on the topic is pretty telling. I respect your opinion on preferring physical releases, but it seems like your destain for BPM Boy is a bit deeper than it just being $20. Care to elaborate?

LOL, I bought it an hour ago and am playing it now.  I had no intentions of "crapping on anyone's game".  I guess you expect everyone to be blindly positive about a game with no concerns ever. Ok but that is not me. 

Just now, E. King said:

LOL, I bought it an hour ago and am playing it now.  I had no intentions of "crapping on anyone's game".  I guess you expect everyone to be blindly positive about a game with no concerns ever. Ok but that is not me. 

Being optimistic is different than being ‘blindly positive’, but I digress. So, if you bought the game, can you add some context to your previous comments? Do you like the game? What don’t you like about it? I’m not home to log into my VCS to buy BPM Boy (otherwise I would).