IGNORED

BPM Boy (by RetroNinja) - (in VCS Store)

justclaws

54 minutes ago, davpa said:

Also remember, the $20 on BPM Boy will also include the future DLCs. The game is going to be expanding in regular-ish increments with DLCs. These will be free expansions. So there will be more mileage on the game.

This right here - you’re paying for future DLC and improvements to the game overall. The developer has said many times that he is not finished with BPM Boy, and that we can expect new levels, etc.

Imho, I believe the $20 price tag is justifiable in lieu of what the developer promised.

• Like 3

On 6/10/2022 at 10:41 AM, E. King said:

Just turned on my VCS and I see BPM Boy in the VCS store.

I was fairly excited until I saw it was $20 as for some reason I was expecting it to be less.

Without a Classic Joystick control that is suitable for play, I am on the fence with this game for now.

For now sadly, I may be holding off on this one.

Quoting myself here because it is necessary.

I was way off on this one and I should have waited before jumping to conclusions on this game.

BPM Boy is far better than I expected and without a doubt worth the $20 price.

The deeper you get in the game the more the quality of the game shows.

It plays great with a modern dual analog and no other controller types are needed for this one.

Edited by E. King
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, E. King said:

Quoting myself here because it is necessary.

I was way off on this one and I should have waited before jumping to conclusions on this game.

BPM Boy is far better than I expected and without a doubt worth the $20 price.

The deeper you get in the game the more the quality of the game shows.

It plays great with a modern dual analog and no other controller types are needed for this one.

Respect, my brother! ? Admitting when you’re wrong about something takes a lot of courage. It’s also a testament to how this person is willing to keep an open mind.

Edited by ColecoGamer
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Okay, I'm all caught up on the thread now... whew...

So, I'm really glad people are having fun with the game.  Sorry for people that don't think it's a proper value or it's not for them.  Hopefully, I can get you something more to your liking on the next one.

Super appreciate everyone who have put out videos, positive posts and in some cases; blazed through the game in 3-4 days.  Awesome sauce!

And yes, I'm working on the first DLC drop, as we speak. It will include some enhancements, some refinements and some new challenges!

Again, thanks to everyone who bought and support! Means a lot and stay tuned!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 6

4 minutes ago, Tony Barnes said:

Okay, I'm all caught up on the thread now... whew...

So, I'm really glad people are having fun with the game.  Sorry for people that don't think it's a proper value or it's not for them.  Hopefully, I can get you something more to your liking on the next one.

Super appreciate everyone who have put out videos, positive posts and in some cases; blazed through the game in 3-4 days.  Awesome sauce!

And yes, I'm working on the first DLC drop, as we speak. It will include some enhancements, some refinements and some new challenges!

Again, thanks to everyone who bought and support! Means a lot and stay tuned!

This game looks awesome, and I will be getting it soon. Look forward to seeing what else you are coming up with.

• Like 2

A quick primer that might get you up and running more quickly than it took me:

The A button: Does a jump, can hit twice for a double jump. If you are within targeting range of a prisoner or other target it will get a glowy ring, press A twice to jump up then slam into the target. At that point, you can either move or fall relatively straight down based on directional input.

The B button: Swaps between Blue/Red, need to be the same color or take damage on anything Red/Blue. You have to touch the object, double jumping over it (like in the tough level 9) is what you need to do.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

This game looks so interesting and after a few reviews it sounds like something I would really like.  I think I will pick it up this week and support the developer and the VCS.  I am really enjoying my new VCS and I am pretty happy with the online library, while not giant, it does have a lot of interesting titles to try.

• Like 6

I hadn't checked the VCS forums in a while, but when I saw this was out I couldn't wait to fire up my VCS and get it. Very fun game, just as I expected it would be after looking at the preview videos. Well worth the price IMHO, and I'm only on the 4th level!

• Like 3

Picked up the game and I'm really enjoying it.  The VCS is forcing me to learn how to use a modern controller.  I could BARELY handle playing SNES, before.  

Anyway, the game is great and I feel I'm getting more than my money's worth out of it.  Thank you!  :)

• Like 4

I just completed my casual playthrough of BPM Boy. It's a very fun game and an easy recommendation to fans of roller platformers & platform games in general. I'm looking forward to added levels coming our way in future updates.

Levels 33-34 linked below. All available levels are viewable in my BPM Boy Playlist.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
23 hours ago, stirrell said:

You know what is a great feeling? When you’re careening out of control and you spot a fan to rescue and breaking the cage allows you to get to safety and back on track.

Right?!

As a matter of fact, some speed-run techniques require building up more speed than you could ever really manage and then using a well-placed cage to regain control.

There's even a level in the upcoming DLC (free to VCS owners) that kind of necessitates mastering that technique and others... ?

-TB

BPMBoy_Rapidfire.gif

• Like 6

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Ever wonder what it's like to voice a videogame character? Here's a great text interview conducted by RickR with Patrick Hickey Jr., who voiced DJ Git Bizy in BPM Boy about his experience working on the game.

A fun peek behind the curtain!

https://forums.atari.io/topic/7411-an-interview-with-bpm-boy-voice-talent/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I notice the game has been updated in the VCS Store, and it appears to have 40 levels. I myself have not been very good at this game and haven't really been able to get too deep into it due to simply not being able to progress, but there are now 40 levels, which is higher than the earlier number, so presumably some new levels added? 

• Like 3

As BPM Boy works its way onto other platforms, RetroNinja does not forget its roots!

Announcing: BPM Boy has received it's first official "BPM Update #1" for the Atari VCS, adding 6 additional levels, additional music, hazards and enemies as well as a number of bug fixes and optimizations, providing VCS owners with the best BPM Boy experience!
Be sure to update your VCS to play the newest content.

BPMBoy_Screenshot_072022.jpg

BPMBoy_Screenshot_092122_1.jpg

BPMBoy_Screenshot_081522_1.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2