IGNORED

RE7 wip update

Frozone212

I have The beginning, Tape #1 and Tape #2 done on the commodore PET

I want to do graphics but i'm such a crappy artist that i think its better if i don't. Anyway, would appreciate the feedback. I know it's a bunch of print's and inputs but What else am i going to do? The PET only allows for two lines of text.

anyway, wish me luck

tape #1.d64 tape #2.d64 re7.d64

Some feedback on these partly interactive novellas.

Tape #1: You use SAVE on this one as well (see Dungeon) which I don't quite understand why. Also you would need the @: syntax to prevent an error.

Tape #2: The game over clause at lines 20-21 only works if the player types in "start over" or "end". Any other input will fall through to the cabins part.

RE 7: I can't recall exactly what will happen after the LOAD statement on line 68, if the new program automatically starts or if you still have any control in your first program. It might depend on loading addresses, from all I can tell the next program would overwrite the old one in execution.

For graphics, you might be interested that POKE 59468,12 will enable upper case/graphics while POKE 59468,14 enables lower case/upper case. Depending on PET model, those start in either of those modes and once you start playing with PETSCII graphics you want to ensure the right mode is enabled.

• Like 1

On 10/15/2021 at 3:35 AM, carlsson said:

Some feedback on these partly interactive novellas.

Tape #1: You use SAVE on this one as well (see Dungeon) which I don't quite understand why. Also you would need the @: syntax to prevent an error.

Tape #2: The game over clause at lines 20-21 only works if the player types in "start over" or "end". Any other input will fall through to the cabins part.

RE 7: I can't recall exactly what will happen after the LOAD statement on line 68, if the new program automatically starts or if you still have any control in your first program. It might depend on loading addresses, from all I can tell the next program would overwrite the old one in execution.

For graphics, you might be interested that POKE 59468,12 will enable upper case/graphics while POKE 59468,14 enables lower case/upper case. Depending on PET model, those start in either of those modes and once you start playing with PETSCII graphics you want to ensure the right mode is enabled.

line 68 is supposed to load tape #1 (like in the game, Derelict house footage is shown on vcr), then gosub back to the main game when done.

I'm afraid that loading another program doesn't work in that way, at least not if you load it into the same part of memory where your current program resides. For instance on the unexpanded VIC-20, it was common to have a first part loading that redefined graphics and displayed instructions. Then it loaded the main game with the graphics in place. Also since the entire game is suspended while you're loading anything, you might as well incorporate all parts of the game into the same file. It would take a little longer to load the beginning, but much less hassle, in particular if you intend to return to the main game.