IGNORED

How To Convert PSID to RSID?

I'm trying to convert a SID file of Skate Or Die's intro music I have to midi using SID2MIDIw. It says the file loaded is not a proper SID file despite it working perfectly fine in Sidplay2 which I use to play SID files on my Windows PC.

Only a few SID files I have will work in the to MIDI converter, and these files that do work I notice is a "PlaySID one-file format (PSID)", while the ones that doesn't are "Real C64 one-file format (RSID)".

Trying to look up how to convert between these two different types of SID files leaves nothing, and was wondering if any of you know how to fix the issue.

BTW this is the only program I can find that directly converts SID files to MIDI.

RSID are files that require a full C64 environment (emulated) while PSID also are possible to play on older PlaySID and libsidplay1 based programs. Generally RSID is used for multi-speed tunes, songs using samples and/or additional interrupts or do busy loops that would cause older SID emulators to lock up.

See the file HVSC/DOCUMENTS/SID_file_format.txt for more information.

I don't know if you simply can hack the headers to pretend that a RSID file is a PSID file. Eliminating the samples in the music surely would do the trick, but it would require more work. A while ago I tried something similar with Ghostbusters but I gave up and used a different SID source when feeding the data to SID2MIDI.

While the converter is free to use, I can't recall if the source ever was posted for anyone to pick up and enhance it to accept RSID files, at least skipping past the samples since it might be asking too much to convert 4-bit samples to MIDI notes.