IGNORED

Best way to play Atari 2600 games on a modern TV?

Skippy B. Coyote

I think the Raspberry Pi Zero has been used in different applications as an analog video to HDMI converter (Amiga, ...?).
If I remember correctly, they made an interface board with video ADCs on it that interfaces with the Raspberry Pi Zero. So, you then probably have three PCBs over each other:
* The pcb of your computer/console

* The interface pcb that contains the ADCs and stuff

* The Raspberry Pi Zero with the HDMI output

Maybe with all that existing software for that already existing analog to HDMI converters based on the Raspberry Pi, it is not that difficult to adapt it to an Atari 2600.
As I am a huge fan of creating new motherboards for the Atari 2600 for different applications, there might be a good way to add space for such an interface solution.

Any ideas, anyone?
Bueller, anyone?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/18/2022 at 3:49 PM, GeekDragon said:

I heard you can plug your 2600 into a VCR, then hook that up to a HDTV and that should work.  I haven't tried it yet to see if it actually works.

I just did this.  I bought two items from Amazon for around $10; a connector to plug the 2600 jack into the VCR and a RCA jacks to HDMI convertor for the VCR out.  I haven't played with the settings yet to see if the picture can be improved yet other than switching to standard mode so the picture isn't stretched. It was just exciting to get my original 1977 Sears unit usable again!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

If you want to use composite or RF based tech on any LCD (or even £2000 Pioneer plasma TV of 2012 in my case) to get a decent picture you need a decent converter. Sad reality is the digitisers used inside these TVs are disgusting. If your machine doesn't output SCART RGB (RGBa analogue video) then you are screwed and a decent converter I would image with a professional quality fast successive approximation digitiser rather than the flash conversion rubbish in every LCD/Plasma TV is going to be over £150-200 sort of price range. 

Just keep a 14" Portable Sony CRT or something. LCD is for losers anyway, nobody except dumbshit millennials like LCD.

El 10/12/2021 a las 6:52, Skippy B. Coyote dijo:

Durante casi todo el tiempo que he estado en los juegos retro, que ha sido alrededor de una década, siempre he jugado juegos de Atari utilizando principalmente hardware original (un sistema Light Sixer con un carrito Harmony Encore en un par de Sony Trinitron CRT diferentes televisores ), pero mis circunstancias de vida están cambiando y el espacio es escaso, por lo que tengo que pasar a hacer todos mis juegos en un HDTV moderno. 

Reproducir la mayoría de los sistemas que me gustan en un HDTV es bastante sencillo. Obtenga un Mega SG analógico para juegos de Sega Genesis y un Super NT para juegos de SNES, un Retro USB AVS para juegos de NES, etc. El único enigma para mí ha sido qué hacer con el Atari 2600, ya que no hay un sistema Atari 2600 basado en FPGA plug and play fácil disponible que yo sepa y definitivamente me gustaría conservar la capacidad de reproducir los cartuchos originales que he recopilado. los años.

Entonces, me preguntaba cuáles son mis mejores opciones. ¿Hay alguna modificación de HDMI disponible para mi Light Sixer que le daría una buena imagen mejorada de 1080p o 720p manteniendo casi el 100 % de compatibilidad con juegos? ¿O sigo la ruta de la emulación con algo como el Retron 77 y trato de entender el enrevesado lío de cables que parecen ser necesarios solo para usar los controladores de paleta en él? Seguro que me gustaría poder seguir usando mi carrito Harmony Encore en cualquier sistema con el que termine, así que tal vez un Retron 77 no sería una buena idea.

En cualquier caso, agradecería cualquier consejo sobre características que son mis mejores opciones para jugar Atari en mi televisor moderno en términos de calidad de imagen y compatibilidad de juegos.

Look Skippy B. Coyote if you can play atari 2600 on modern televisions but it is a headache in fact you would be much better off connecting it to a 50 to 60 gh tube tv to make it work