IGNORED

Monthly Gaming Quiz: can you guess the games based on tiny screenshots?

Mr_Horizon

Hello everyone,

I'd like to test your gaming knowledge, and have prepared a series of monthly riddles. I've been doing this for a while in various online communities (over twenty by now, for example here and here), and would love to include the Atari Age forum if there is interest (Games for Atari Consoles or Home Computers are frequently part of the answers). No worries, this is just for fun - no ads or business intentions.

I wasn't sure if this is the right section of the forum - @mods please move it if necessary.

The quiz can be about finding all games used in a fake screenshot (with answers) :

R89tW27.png

...or about guessing the right games from 25 cutouts:

Amiga Games: http://i.imgur.com/G9xHBli.png
quiz solution: https://i.imgur.com/mgDluHN.png

comics pixel: http://i.imgur.com/y0oMnuI.png
quiz solution: http://i.imgur.com/xWWYLh7.png

DOS classics: https://i.imgur.com/tjJ1grW.png
quiz solution: https://i.imgur.com/EuvVd67.png

I'm confident there's lots of gaming geeks here that will score well on any of these. :)

Feedback is welcome, the quiz for October is already runnung...and it's got an Atari theme. ;)  If no one shouts STOP I'm going to post it here in an hour!

Edited by Mr_Horizon

TNAZIfC.gif

October Quiz - Atari Games

This time we honour a former giant that needs no introduction in this community. Quite a few classics can be attributed to Atari Inc, which rose to become the biggest manufacturer of video games in the early 80s. A whole lot of hardware has come together over the years, with quite a few titles... I won't be able to please all fans and I might have left out some classics, but I still want to put you to the test: 

No matter if console, home computer or handheld, exclusive or multiplatform - do you recognise these games? :)

Deadline is Sunday the 31st of October, participation via http://www.retrogamequiz.com/.

Here comes the quiz, have fun:
2pCATBb.png
Direct link: https://i.imgur.com/2pCATBb.png

October Quiz - Clues #1

Notice something? This round we're capitalising RETRO, one fellow player called it a "real boomer quiz"! You can see the focus just by looking at the release dates.... ten of the games were released before 1989, twelve in the 90s, and only three in this millennium. So it's a long way into the past, but don't lose heart! Just look up some Atari Arcade classics ;)

So far, only 25 people are participating, the scores are low and a top 10 place is already up for grabs with 13 correct titles. With this post, I'll bring the thread back up and give you some hints...

Hints #1:

1) In game #4, you control a tank.
2) There are also arcade versions of the following game series: 1, 2, 4, 5, 6, 8, 10, 15 and 17.
3) Title #3 is a licensed game, there are movies and comics with the same name. 
4) Game #7 was a launch title of the Atari 2600.

Deadline is Sunday the 31st of October, enter via http://www.retrogamequiz.com/

Here's the quiz again, good luck. :) https://i.imgur.com/2pCATBb.png

October Quiz - Clues #2

So my dear friends of video games, honour your classics and join in this round! There are less than ten days left before October is already over.

There are only about 40 players so far, and two from this community. Sure this round is frustrating, but remember - every single point helps your forum in the yearly ranking. :) So even if you only recognise one game, don't hesitate to submit your entry.

Hints #2:
1) #6 and #15 are multiplatform remakes of Atari classics for the new Atari VCS.
2) Do you like cat-themed mini games? Maybe game 12 is something for you.
3) Number 8 is a game with only three letters, which was ported to all kinds of systems between 1981 and 2010.
4) Title 11 is one of the most successful Atari 2600 games and sold millions of copies.

Deadline is Sunday 31 October, enter via http://www.retrogamequiz.com/

Here's the quiz again, now let's go!
Direct link: https://i.imgur.com/2pCATBb.png

11 hours ago, jeremiahjt said:

Same thing happened to me. I had to enter the url manually.

So strange, I can see that instead of the URL shown, the linked address is indeed just this forum page.

I don't know how it happened, guess I'll have to pay extra attention to this next time!

Test Testhttp://www.retrogamequiz.com/

TNAZIfC.gif

October Quiz - Answers & Score

Just like the most glorious phase of Atari, this round is now over. Once again I am happy about the almost 100 players, even though the games really were not easy. :) Are you ready for the results?

Ah wait, to the bonus question: 58% of you have never owned Atari hardware, 41% of you have... and it paid off, the latter scored 5 points more on average (11 vs 16). :D

The scores are at the end, now first the names of the games as text, then the pictures, then the high score table.

1) Jr Pac-Man
An update/successor to the best-selling Atari 2600 game of all time. All but three players recognised the Pac Man series. :)
Answer rate: 97%
Other suggestions: -

2) Tempest 2000
A colourful 90s update of the simple original for the Atari Jaguar (only years later on other systems).  
Answer rate: 77%
Other suggestions: -

3) Alien vs Predator
I always thought the idea of being able to play all three parties (Aliens, Predators & Marines) was pretty cool.
Answer rate: 85%
Other suggestions: Gloom

4) Battlezone 2000
A version of the classic tank game for the Atari Lynx.
Answer rate: 77%
Other suggestions: Grebz, Battle Tanks

5) Asteroids
A port of the arcade classic for Atari 8 bit home computers... I think the colourful asteroids confused many of you.
Answer rate: 69%
Other suggestions: Wizball, Star Wars, Space Invaders, Mad Planets, Defender.

6) Centipede Recharged
The new Atari VCS was released this year and offers the original Centipede as well as this remake - not for epileptics. ;)
Answer rate: 70%
Other suggestions: Geometry Wars, Mushrooms in Space, Space Invaders, Spider Fighter.

7) Combat
A launch title of the Atari 2600. No, not "Tank", that's an arcade game where the tanks look different.
Answer rate: 72%
Other suggestions: 4x Tank(s), Adventure, Battle City, Indy 500.

8.) Qix
No, not "Missile Command", that's number 15! This is "Qix", the abstract action game in which you... yes, how do you actually describe it?? Anyway, here you can see the version for the Atari Lynx.
Answer rate: 60%
Other suggestions: 11x Missile Command

9) Yar's Revenge 
Answer rate: 55%
Other suggestions: Galaxian, Space Tunnel, Guitar Hero

10) Gauntlet 3rd encounter
A Gauntlet spin-off for the Lynx handheld.
Answer rate: 53%
Other suggestions: Zombies Ate My Neighbor, Evil dead, Chips Challenge.

11) Demon Attack
Another super hit for the Atari 2600.
Answer rate: 53%
Other suggestions: 6x Space Invaders, 5x Phoenix, Crackpot

12) Iron Soldier
3D polygon mecha action on the Jaguar.
Answer rate: 61%
Other suggestions: 7x Transformers

13) Alley Cat
Mini-games revolving around a street cat, one of my very first encounters with computer games.
Solving rate: 45%
Other suggestions: Custer's Revenge, Cat Trax, ET, Mouse Trap, Raiders of the Lost Ark.

14) Dungeon Master
The front door of this classic multiplatform dungeon crawler.
Answer rate: 42%
Other suggestions: Transformers, Sinistar, Pitfall Mayan Adventure, Bloodwych.

15) Missile Command Recharged
Answer rate: 63%
Other suggestions: Space War, Gravitar, Geometry Wars, Asteroids.

16) Oids
A mixture of Gravitar and Choplifter, Oids was an exclusive game for the Atari ST (later also for the Mac).
Answer rate: 34%
Other suggestions: 5x Defender, Galaga, Thrust, Lunar Lander, Gravitar, Choplifter, Gravity Force.

17) Night Driver
Answer rate: 39%
Other suggestions: 4x Fatal Run, Road Race, Space Invaders, Moon Patrol, Lotus Racing, Great American Road Race, Enduro, Back to the Future.

18.) Hunter.
A true open world sandbox game, with lots of usable weapons+vehicles and completely in 3D.... from the year 1991! :)
Answer rate: 41%
Other suggestions: Highlander, Midwinter

19) Midnight Mutants
All sorts of undead creatures are out to get you in this Atari 7800 action game.
Solving rate: 35%
Other suggestions: ET, Friday the 13th, Graveyard, Horror Zombies from the Crypt, King of Grabs, Living Dead, Zombi, Zombies ate my neighbour.

20) Skull Diggery
An exclusive title for the Atari ST, only a scant third guessed it correctly.
Answer rate: 32%
Other suggestions: Boulder Dash, Monster Bash, Halloween.

21) Ultra Vortek
A brawling game with creative characters but modest scores, exclusive to the Jaguar. 
Answer rate: 46%
Other suggestions: Primal Rage, Vicious Circle, Rise of the Robots, Killer Instinct, Kasumi Ninja.

22) Substation
A rare find... an fps for the Atari ST!
Answer rate: 30%
Other suggestions: Doom, Wolfenstein 3D, The Corporation, Robocop, Galactica, ET, Battle Star Galactica, Alien Breed 3D. 

23) Battlesphere
Space battles on the Jaguar.
Answer rate: 19%
Other suggestions: Star Raiders, Space War 2000, Lunar Lander, Hover Strike, ET, Captain Blood, Aliens.

24) Alien Brigade
The most difficult entry of this round! A mean screen fragment from a rail shooter for the Atari 7800... can be played through in under 20 minutes, by the way (I guess this is due to the genre). 
Answer rate: 11%
Other suggestions: Bruce Lee, Rambo, Missing in Action, ET, Bad Dudes.

25) White Men can't jump
Speaking of mean clips... this one was purposefully chosen to mislead you, I don't understand how almost 20 of you figured it out anyway. Congrats! ?
Answer rate: 19%
Other suggestions: 7x Sim City, 4x Rollercoaster Tycoon, 4x Citytopia, Fast Food Tycoon, Zany Golf, Township, Theme Park, Paper Boy, Lunar Battle

Here is the quiz picture again, followed by the solution:
2pCATBb.png

Solution:
lQp2ZFJ.png
Direct link: https://i.imgur.com/lQp2ZFJ.png

HIGH SCORE TABLE

01 - 25 points - hcg - windfish
01 - 25 points - pop - PUH
01 - 25 points - rta - AuraPaladinne
01 - 25 points - mnc - Mangamaniac2171
01 - 25 points - hcg - excelsior
01 - 25 points - rta - Marek
01 - 25 Points - ntl - lifer
08 - 24 points - eab - Havie
09 - 24 points - spz - The_BACH
10 - 24 points - mnc - Gerhard S.

11 - 24 points - mmx - fedprod
12 - 24 points - mmx - Knuckles
13 - 23 points - gsg - TheLastToKnow
14 - 23 points - mnc - Dream-Team
15 - 22 points - rta - Roarer
16 - 22 points - eab - darkwave
17 - 22 points - lgs - AirBaeron
18 - 22 points - gsg - partykiller
19 - 22 points - rta - residentgrigo
20 - 21 points - rta - EmmaDansTonU
21 - 21 points - eab - Nobby_UK
22 - 20 points - mtc - Valdien
23 - 19 points - rtc - Antiriad2097
24 - 19 points - m!g - lmarvin
25 - 19 points - gav - Wizdom
26 - 19 points - mtc - Wibblewozzer
27 - 19 points - mtc - Parsnip
28 - 18 points - sh2 - Vino
29 - 18 points - eab - Biscuit
30 - 18 points - rta - malus
31 - 18 points - hcg - teroknor
32 - 17 points - spz - Striderblade
33 - 17 points - ntl - GrailUK
34 - 17 points - ata - JeremiahJT
35 - 16 points - hcg - dsparil
36 - 16 points - ata - BydoEmpire
37 - 16 points - ftg - Lurker
38 - 16 points - hcg - Alexmate
39 - 15 points - gpo - Bully
40 - 15 points - rta - EarthPainting
41 - 15 points - m!g - geohound
42 - 15 points - rta - Cucurbitacée
43 - 15 points - can - M.Rick75
44 - 15 points - can - Dark Kariya
45 - 14 points - rta - Illusionary
46 - 14 points - ata - jgkspsx
47 - 13 points - gpo - rave
48 - 13 points - gms - kopyright
49 - 13 points - rtc - elginmcqueen
50 - 12 points - nto - curlybird
51 - 12 points - pop - Guzzi
52 - 12 points - sh2 - Gatar
53 - 11 points - mnc - Dolphin
54 - 11 points - pop - a gentle breeze
55 - 10 points - eab - Mailman
56 - 10 points - rpg - Zion
57 - 10 points - ftg - Cappy
58 - 10 points - rpg - D4rkD
59 - 10 points - mnc - elementalMaster
60 - 10 points - gsg - Drapondur
61 - 10 points - m!g - Red XIII
62 - 10 points - mnc - Yeboah17
63 - 09 points - pop - Arne
64 - 08 points - mmx - Dnamei
65 - 08 points - sh2 - godzella
66 - 07 points - mtc - Mutant Strawberry
67 - 07 points - pop - Sascha
68 - 07 points - gpo - Eddie
69 - 06 points - ntl - Dogorilla
70 - 06 points - mnc - HomiSite
71 - 06 points - lgs - Numfuddle
72 - 06 points - mmx - LittleChoco
73 - 06 points - mtc - FunnyJay
74 - 06 points - hcg - snake
75 - 06 points - mmx - Klunky
76 - 06 points - gpo - Konsolomio
77 - 06 points - gpo - Navarone
78 - 06 points - pop - Don Como
79 - 06 points - lgs - Mister_L
80 - 05 points - mmx - Lynx
81 - 05 points - mtc - QFNS
82 - 05 points - rtc - stayAwhile
83 - 04 points - sh2 - BVBFabi09
84 - 04 points - nto - 4C8en
85 - 04 points - mnc - Mitschel
86 - 03 points - pop - Daiyama
87 - 03 points - nto - Ande
88 - 03 points - m!g - Kong
89 - 03 points - rta - Blufunk
90 - 02 points - gms - hellermarie
91 - 02 points - sh2 - FoxSpitzer
92 - 02 points - gms - hellifanboy
93 - 01 points - lgs - kristheb
94 - 01 points - mmx - Shades
95 - 01 points - 4py - Scorplian
96 - 01 points - rta - luke88
97 - 01 points - nto - Eims
98 - 01 points - gav - Yoshi

4py - 4players 
ata - Atari Age
can - PC Canard
eab - English Amiga Board
ftg - fontgeek
gav - Gaming Village
gms - Gamestar
gpo - Gamepro
gsg - Gamersglobal
hcg - hardcore gaming 101
lgs - last game standing
m!g - Man!iac
mmx - Multimediaxis
mnc - old maniac
mtc - Metacouncil
ntl - NintendoLife
nto - NTower
pop - Powerplay
rpg - RPG Maker
rta - ResetEra
rtc - RetroCanteen
sh2 - Shock²
spz - Spazio PC

Participants from here are in bold, in case of equal scores weighted points decided (less frequently guessed titles give more), if all else fails the date of the first entry.

Well then, an award ceremony: Congratulations to PUH, windfisch, AuraPaladinne, Mangamaniac, excelsior, Marek and lifer... you all got FULL POINTS and won this round!

Also congrats to Havie, The_BACH and Gerhard S, together you are the TOP 10. :)

LOCAL HIGH SCORE:

1 - 17 points - @jeremiahjt
2 - 16 points - @BydoEmpire
3 - 14 points - @jgkspsx

Congratulations to JeremiahJT for the local lead. :)

Thanks to everyone for playing and see you next time, for the last quiz of the year!

Edited by Mr_Horizon
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, jeremiahjt said:

I am 99% sure that the Asteroids pictured is 7800 Asteroids and not Atari 8-bit computer Asteroids.

I cannot believe I missed a Jaguar game and a 7800 game. Well I have never actually played Battlesphere, but I have finished Alien Brigade. How could I miss that one?

You are right, Asteroids is the Atari 7800 Version! I updated it from the (a bit drab looking) 8 bit version before posting the quiz, and must have had forgotten about the change by the end of the month.

I'd say missing Alien Brigade is forgivable, that was a difficult screen fragment. That machine only shows up once, and the perspective makes you think it's some sort of platformer.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Mr_Horizon said:

I'd say missing Alien Brigade is forgivable, that was a difficult screen fragment. That machine only shows up once, and the perspective makes you think it's some sort of platformer.

I should have gotten that one.  It looked like a 7800 game, but I didn't see any aliens in it and I've never personally played Alien Brigade.  My guess was the unreleased Missing in Action game.

• Like 2

ik7JeVp.gif

November Quiz - Metroidvania

So, here is the last quiz of the year! A few months ago I had you vote on which themes you would like, and Metroidvania had made second place. So why not have a round about this popular genre with somewhat "fuzzy edges", because where does a souls-like start, and which title is more of an action adventure?
I hope you enjoy this one, even if some genre classics are not included because they were already in another quiz. 

Next year there will also be another Make-a-Wish quiz, so please enter your wishes in the bonus question! :)

Deadline is Tuesday 30 November, enter via http://www.retrogamequiz.com/.

Here comes the last quiz of 2021, have fun:
pIZpeA9.png
Direct link: https://i.imgur.com/pIZpeA9.png

57 minutes ago, jgkspsx said:

Submitted. I think I did pretty decently. I recognize 24 and I think 25. 24 is something I have seen in the eShop. I am going to kick myself the next time I see it.

There are two from either a game or its sequel… do we have to get which game it was correct?

You were fast, one of the first ten. :) And about "main game or sequel", the game series is usually enough, especially if the screenshot could have come from either game.

2 hours ago, jgkspsx said:

For the benefit of others:

Image link: https://i.imgur.com/pIZpeA9.png

Quiz site: http://www.retrogamequiz.com/

Thanks! Next time I'll remember that for some reason in this forum I have to edit the finished post to update the links. ?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Mr_Horizon said:

Thanks! Next time I'll remember that for some reason in this forum I have to edit the finished post to update the links. ?

You should be able to just post the link text and it will automatically become a real link when you post. I think you are clicking the “link” button in the WYSIWYG editor, then not setting the URL, which creates a link to the current page.

5 looks familiar but I couldn’t place it. I know I’ve seen 6 but I can’t remember it. I will probably end up kicking myself on that one. The one I guessed for 7 and 8 are somewhat forgotten, but I would be super impressed if that’s what they are. 17 looks really cool, looking forward to finding out what it is. 18 is clearly one of the gory ones that are not my thing, I guessed the one that keeps going on sale on the eShop. 20 looks interesting. 22 and 23 eluded me. The rest I am confident enough in.