IGNORED

Atari 2600 - Game Development Environment for Flash?

agentfive

Has anyone heard of any projects that are being developed to provide a game engine and set of tools for flash that would allow the easy creation of new Atari 2600 style games?

We created a 2600 style game called Hill Billy Whack! http://www.infinitemonkeystudios.com using Auran Jet but you have to install the entire engine to play and the game could easily be created in Flash. I would love to create a "Atari Flash Game Creator" in flash and create templates or other items that could be used to create entirely new games or relaunch classics and update them.

What do you think?

• 3 months later...

By Flash do you mean Macromedia Flash? How about Director 8.5 that also runs shockwav3D... now there's a paring... :D Anyway... I'm interested in such a venture... can we extend this to the 5200 as well. At work I have all the cool tools of the day: Photoshop, Premier, Studio MX, Director 8.5, and Maya... Probably all too much for the 2600, but I'd love to help create a development system. I've just begin to dabble in Lingo, and I'm a decent Java3D programmer.

Aaron

• 2 weeks later...

We have been making steady progress over the summer and are now using components to make the code modular. I would be really interested to see what you think after we get the first game out the door. Are you interested in helping out with Artwork or coding? We are planning on doing 5200 and 7800 versions of the original game and then doing some other versions of the game.

The 2600 version is where we are at right now...

By Flash do you mean Macromedia Flash? How about Director 8.5 that also runs shockwav3D... now there's a paring...  :D  Anyway... I'm interested in such a venture... can we extend this to the 5200 as well. At work I have all the cool tools of the day: Photoshop, Premier, Studio MX, Director 8.5, and Maya... Probably all too much for the 2600, but I'd love to help create a development system. I've just begin to dabble in Lingo, and I'm a decent Java3D programmer.

Aaron

• 3 weeks later...

I have not heard about anything like this for Flash, and I doubt there is.

I am a Director developer mostly so I would like to see this in a format that works in Director, but it seems everything is Flash these days. Too bad because I know Lingo better than action scripting.

I make my games in Director 8, many of them are Atari like in their look and feel... I like the old school look.... :)

I have some games, demos, up on my web site, just click on games. You need the shockwave plugin to see them.