IGNORED

Atari 7800 Game Releases (in VCS Store)

justclaws

1 hour ago, sixersfan105 said:

Yeah I did think of the easier one-tap access for the standalone titles; good call. Definitely didn't think of the crappy Internet thing. Does everyone not have gigabit internet these days?!

Ha!  I literally live in an area where it's available to the north and south of me, but not where I live.  But really there are definitely more people in the world without access to gigabit Internet than there are that do.

On 12/10/2021 at 2:40 PM, justclaws said:

Alien Brigade was one of my favourite games on the 7800, with or without a light gun.
I thoroughly recommend it. ? Here's a nice video from another (random) YouTuber!

They should work with the Sinden guys and get light gun support!!

• Like 2

13 hours ago, sixersfan105 said:

So it would appear as though all of the Atari 7800 games for sale through the Store are also playable in Antstream Arcade, which every VCS owner gets for free (ad-supported version), right? So I'm a little curious as to why people are dropping money on these titles when they're already accessible for free. If I'm missing something, please let me know. I'm a brand-new VCS owner, so I very well may be out of the loop on something. 

it really comes down to personal choice.   I'd rather not use an ad-supported streaming service but others might.

11 hours ago, leech said:

Ha!  I literally live in an area where it's available to the north and south of me, but not where I live.  But really there are definitely more people in the world without access to gigabit Internet than there are that do.

I know, I kid. The vast majority of people in the world also do not have access to or the funds for a VCS, too. 

43 minutes ago, zzip said:

it really comes down to personal choice.   I'd rather not use an ad-supported streaming service but others might.

Yeah, to each their own. Thus far, the ads seem to be pretty minimal. I've played a few games and no ads have popped up yet. 

4 minutes ago, sixersfan105 said:

Yeah, to each their own. Thus far, the ads seem to be pretty minimal. I've played a few games and no ads have popped up yet. 

It's less about the ads.   The AWS outage a couple weeks ago took down a whole bunch of services and people were unable to do basic tasks like make coffee, use their doorbell or use their baby monitors according to press reports because these services were all tied into and dependent on the cloud.   I simply do not want to become dependent on online services like that and want to keep my stuff locally.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, zzip said:

It's less about the ads.   The AWS outage a couple weeks ago took down a whole bunch of services and people were unable to do basic tasks like make coffee, use their doorbell or use their baby monitors according to press reports because these services were all tied into and dependent on the cloud.   I simply do not want to become dependent on online services like that and want to keep my stuff locally.

Yes.  This is why 'cloud' still means someone else's computer, and every cloud service has had some downtime of some sort.  AWS is the cloud that other clouds depend upon, so that double screws everyone.

2 minutes ago, sixersfan105 said:

All fair points! Though if there is an Antstream service disruption that happens to coincide with a moment I get a craving for some 7800 goodness, I'll simply play on my real 7800 ?

There is that!  I finally got a modded one, had to fix the composite output, as the original modder didn't use the correctly segmented 3.5mm connector.  And then I found that I had ordered an RF to VGA box that works surprisingly well...

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, leech said:

Yes.  This is why 'cloud' still means someone else's computer, and every cloud service has had some downtime of some sort.  AWS is the cloud that other clouds depend upon, so that double screws everyone.

Yes it's become way too centralized to the point that a foreign power could launch a cyberattack against AWS and it would cripple a lot of our infrastructure.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

If I wasn't buying every game in the VCS Store to make videos on my YouTube channel I don't think I'd be buying the 7800 games personally otherwise due to them being available on Antstream, which is one of the cooler things on the VCS. The big difference is whether you are using bandwidth and need an Internet connection to play it. 

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, SabertoothRetro said:

Alien Brigade is the only one that they've released so far that I don't already have on physical cart. But I like the convenience of launching them from the VCS. Plus, they're so inexpensive!

Alien Brigade needs to support the Sinden Light Gun!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mockduck said:

If I wasn't buying every game in the VCS Store to make videos on my YouTube channel I don't think I'd be buying the 7800 games personally otherwise due to them being available on Antstream, which is one of the cooler things on the VCS. The big difference is whether you are using bandwidth and need an Internet connection to play it. 

I mean... you need one to buy it and download it... but then if you qre going old school qnd taking it to a buddy's house to play games, you won't need to hook up the internet to play, or grab the carts of all the games you want either. 

(Not that we socialize with friends anymore... haha!)

46 minutes ago, SabertoothRetro said:

Alien Brigade is the only one that they've released so far that I don't already have on physical cart. But I like the convenience of launching them from the VCS. Plus, they're so inexpensive!

Yeah, that's true too, this lets you just launch the game directly from the Home screen, which I mean we are only talking $3 here. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Rob Merritt said:

Are there any 7800 games best to avoid? I don't mean the quality of the games. I owned must of them original for the 7800. I don't expect them to be any better than what was on the 7800 originally. Are there any that are bad emulation or other problems not related to the original game? 

So far no, they are all well emulated.

• Like 3

I think the next 7800 game is going to be Super Skateboarding, judging by ATARI's Facebook post for Centipede.

The question to win next weeks Flashback Friday game asks to guess next weeks RAD game.

Super Skateboarding's box art has RAD on it, so that's my guess.

If it is then more of the Imagineering games will be coming, coupled with the fact that a quality David Crane game will be playable on the VCS.

Edited by Gunther
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Gunther said:

I think the next 7800 game is going to be Super Skateboarding, judging by ATARI's Facebook post for Centipede.

Wow, surprised that they'll be dipping into Absolute's titles. That bodes well for our chances of, say, Midnight Mutants, which was a licensed title (but published by Atari). 

• Like 1