IGNORED

Must have C128 mods?

nadir

Found out about PLAster™/128 (PLA replacement for C128) – BackBit today, which sounds like a great solution for me using the BackBit cartridge in fast mode.  I popped open my (flat) C128 to confirm the PLA was socketed and unfortunately I've got one that's soldered.  That puts this mod out of my skill level.  So, I'm going to have to find someone else to do it for me.

If I'm going to have to hunt down someone to do more complicated mods than just swapping chips, what else should I look at (so I can just have it all done at once)?  Are there any other common internal mods for C128s?  RAM or video perhaps?

For a stock C128, you can upgrade the VDC RAM to 64k.  There is also a LumaFix for the 128.  You can also "upgrade" to a SID replacement, if so inclined, or at least a stereo SID.  Not sure of any others.

JiffyDOS is a must, IMNSHO.

• Like 1

You can put a BASIC 8 ROM in the empty internal socket. It adds graphics commands to basic for the 80-collum monitor.

The internal RAM can be upgraded to 512k.

I think there was a mod to use hardware serial on the user port. (It has RS-232 hardware, but some genius at commodore decided to bit-bang instead.)

And of course,  everything Old CS1 suggested.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, KG7PFS said:

The internal RAM can be upgraded to 512k.

I have heard of the 256k upgrade, but not 512k.  What is capable of using the expanded memory?

In addition to BASIC 8, that extra socket can also be used for a special GEOS 128 ROM which boots into GEOS instantly.  Actually really cool.  There is also The Servant, which I have no clue what it does but I got a copy on a dead 128 board :)

• Like 2