IGNORED

Newsweek Article about VCS

justclaws

I wish there were a way to know if that reviewer spent $400 of his own money on the VCS. It’s nice that he had some praise though, and I wasn’t aware that Atari was selling 7800 ROMs for $3 apiece on Flashback Fridays. That’s the kind of retro store people say they want, and I’m a little surprised they haven’t put it on Steam for the wider audience. 

• Like 3

And Atari is continuing to refine PC mode, with plans to make a more simplified USB plug-in available for purchase later this year.

I wonder what this means?   It isn't hard to boot through USB now, unless they are providing a way to boot OSes that don't support secureboot?

• 1 month later...
On 10/17/2021 at 2:11 PM, Flojomojo said:

I wish there were a way to know if that reviewer spent $400 of his own money on the VCS. It’s nice that he had some praise though, and I wasn’t aware that Atari was selling 7800 ROMs for $3 apiece on Flashback Fridays. That’s the kind of retro store people say they want, and I’m a little surprised they haven’t put it on Steam for the wider audience. 

You can skim through the rest of the guy's reviews here:

https://www.newsweek.com/authors/scott-tharler

He seems to be the kinda guy who has a really positive outlook about everything he writes about. The world needs more of that. ?

As for selling the 7800 games elsewhere, I'd expect that they'll eventually batch them up either as another expansion to Vault or the exclusive part of a rebranded compilation. They've historically done that about once every five years or so, and Vault is that old now.

In the meantime though, it doesn't exactly hurt to have something exclusive to offer on the VCS.

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/18/2021 at 11:10 AM, zzip said:

I wonder what this means?   It isn't hard to boot through USB now, unless they are providing a way to boot OSes that don't support secureboot?

there was an interview on youtube on this very subject. "Atari VCS  Deep Dive Interview with Michael Arzt"

He said ---mostly quoting, or paraphrasing ---> as easy as you find it now, it will get even better.  It will be PC mode on a stick.  It will be productized.  They will either bundle it with systems, or make it $24.99 on the website.  

He then goes on to say it really is more of an expert thing, rather than easy, and the hardest thing for people is making bootable drives.  He then talks about SSD, saying you buy it, and get it home and unknowingly find out it is a 4k sector drive as opposed to a 512 sector drive, and boom its not going to work.

So then he repeats it's pc mode on a stick, but they cannot get you windows, you have to supply that, but then this product makes it easier.

hehe, ok, I"m not sure he really did answer the question.  Sounds like for the technical it is easy today, for the non-technical, how will they really make it easier, if someone has to supply their own windows.  But I guess they plan to try.

• Like 1

Just to spell it out bluntly, Newsweek have stuck numerous affiliate links to GameStop throughout the article so they'll make money if someone clicks on them and goes on to buy a VCS.

They openly admit this at the bottom of it:

Newsweek may earn a commission from links on this page, but we only recommend products we back. We participate in various affiliate marketing programs, which means we may get paid commissions on editorially chosen products purchased through our links to retailer sites.

That's not an entirely uncommon practice these days, I suppose, but it's a bit of a red flag if you're looking to find an impartial review.

• Like 2