IGNORED

Any homebrew coder looking for an artist?

salstadt

Hey all,

I'm a hobby pixeller and professional GBA artist and I've been incredibly impressed with some of the homebrew titles I've seen on this website; I had no idea the Atari development scene was so alive and kicking. I was wondering if any coder working on the 2600 could use an artist on a game or two. It's the consoles I grew up with, and I've always dreamed of working on a game for it.

You can see samples of my work at www.adamtierney.com. If you're interested, or want to request some art to play around with, message me. Thanks!

- Adam

• 2 weeks later...

I checked out some of the art on your page. It's really cool. I just wrote a homebrew game called "Backfire". The label artwork contest just started a couple of days ago. You can get more information in the contests forum. I hope that you will consider submitting some artwork for the contest.

At some point I would like to get into doing some home made PC games, or possibly a homebrew for PS2 or XBox. I don't have any immediate plans to take on a new programming project, but I will keep you in mind for the future. When I do write another game, I am definately going to need someone to do the art.

• 7 months later...

Hey guys,

I just thought I'd bump this topic up. Fade Out's going well but it looks like I don't have any coders for the other projects. If you're interested in collaberating on any of the below games (which are all the initial screenshots, hence they're a little ambitious), let me know. I would also be interested in supplying any graphics you might need for your own projects (I've done a couple of quicky jobs for a few people around here already). :)

Post below or email me at adamctierney@hotmail.com.

- Adam

atari4.gif

Fade Out for Atari 2600

Description: 2-player shooter involving like-colored sprites and backgrounds so that you can hide form your opponent.

FM_Game.gif

The Flaming Monkey Game for Atari 2600

Description: Similar to Crazy Taxi, you control a monkey on fire and must steer him to the next monkey, then steer that monkey to the third monkey, etc. lighting each on fire before the flame goes out.

fall_11.gif

Pool Hoppers for Atari 2600

Description: A very simple 2-player game. Blocks on either side of a pool duplicate (like amoebas), spawning two new blocks every few seconds. However after each two spawnings, the original blocks dissapear. The idea is to be the first to get across the pool.

mattie_atari.gif

Mattie & The Evil House of Evil for Atari 2600

Description: Monsters are searching for Mattie in her bedroom. She must cast out her shadow to defeat them. However, once her shadow is cast, she is vulnerable until it returns, and it can't retun until the shadow gets a monster. Previous shadow paths cannot be retraced and any monster stepping on a shadow path will slide down it quickly.

- Adam

Hey all,

I'm a hobby pixeller and professional GBA artist and I've been incredibly impressed with some of the homebrew titles I've seen on this website; I had no idea the Atari development scene was so alive and kicking. I was wondering if any coder working on the 2600 could use an artist on a game or two. It's the consoles I grew up with, and I've always dreamed of working on a game for it.

You can see samples of my work at www.adamtierney.com. If you're interested, or want to request some art to play around with, message me. Thanks!

- Adam

This sounds very interesting.Are you interested in painting graphics on the ATARI 800 ?

There is a program called "graph2fnt" which allows more than the classic 4-color graphics, 128-color pictures with some limitations are possible.

Most of the existing pictures made with graph2fnt are converted from C64, which has only 16 colors.

For new ATARI 800 XL (and 5200) games, this technique could be used for making pictures and probably sprites (the ATARI XL has hardware sprites, but they´re limited in color and size, so the idea is to create software sprites with hardware sprite overlays = 7 color sprites+backgrnd possible ).

For more information, you could post in the ATARI 8 Bit Forum here on ATARIAGE.There you should find Graph2fnt, too.

We certainly need pictures for games (title-screens, intros, extros), demos or ATARI shows and sprites for games and there are several interesting projects "in the making" now.

Thimo

Don't expect that all you ideas (though they are the best ever presented here :thumbsup:) will come true soon. There are still only a few homebrewers (though thanks to Andrew the number is increasing) and most of them have a lot of own ideas that they want to become true first.

Pool Hoppers is definitely doable on the 2600. I even once made a static screen demo. :)

Oh yeah, I know. I'm just bored. ;) Thomas, I'm open to all platforms although I would definitely prefer to stick to the more basic ones (like 2600). The lower the resolution and color count, the greater my chance at producing some impressive artwork.

- Adam

I should mention that having an experienced graphic artist work on even 2600 games can help. I'm somewhat of an artist myself, but having the Chapman Brothers (professional cartoon artists) do some of the graphics for the Homestar RPG resulted in a huge improvement in the graphics.

-paul

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there!

Well what do you mean' date=' exactly? Were you just asking out of curiosity or are you planning on making a title to that effect?[/quote']

Hm... I played some "Silicon Warrior" lately for the 8-bits. You might know it, this is a little action game with up to 4 wizards playing a game like Tic-Tac-Toe on a 5*5 grid. Or "Connect-5".

While I don't like this particular gameplay that much, the theme seemed very interesting and fresh too me. Since a lot of your concepts are single-screen two-player games, I just thought to see wether you had a good idea for such a battle between two wizards.

Well, wether I'd make a title based on this or not would mainly depend on a good idea, and so far I admittedly didn't have one.

(Same with my idea about doing a game where you're playing a venus-flytrap plant... cool theme, but I never had any clue about the gameplay... :) )

Greetings,

Manuel

(Same with my idea about doing a game where you're playing a venus-flytrap plant... cool theme' date=' but I never had any clue about the gameplay... :) )[/quote']

Now I know where you get your ideas! ;)

Anyway sounds interesting, though I also have no idea how to make a game out of it.

(But I had an idea today, a mix of Space Invaders and The Game Of Life. Instead of aliens, you shoot at cells which spawn if you don't shoot enough of them. Though I would be surprised if this idea would be new.)

(Same with my idea about doing a game where you're playing a venus-flytrap plant... cool theme, but I never had any clue about the gameplay... )

Neat idea!

Here's an idea: The Venus Flytrap Plant is centered on the screen. You are hungry and must eat to live. Your energy meter continually dwindles. Various flying bugs and/or power-ups fly in various patterns and formations over the screen and you must catch and eat them. The catch is, each movement also requires energy, so when you make any false movement the meter would go down. There could also be bad bugs that if eaten would take the life meter down. When the life meter is gone, the game is over.

The gameplay would use the keyboard controller, and play somewhat like Holey Moley. I think that it would be neat if a new homebrew used the keyboard or children's controller. If it ever got off the ground, overlays could be made and everything... Merchandising... how 'bout a Venus Flytrap puppet...AAAAAAAAAAAAAH!@

Sorry, I got a little bit over-excited there. ;-)

(Same with my idea about doing a game where you're playing a venus-flytrap plant... cool theme, but I never had any clue about the gameplay... )

This reminded me of this character I made up in grade school. He's a "man -eating" plant. I wasn't very creative back then so I called him "Enormous Eddie" and the name stuck.

Just for kicks, Here's a few scans of him in some comics I did for my junior high and high school newspapers, plus an extra one I had in my files.

I remember trying to create a game based on this character in Qbasic several years ago, but like you guys, I couldn't think of an interesting game concept. Though I like mojofltr's idea! 8)

Weston 8)

post-2955-1083655444_thumb.png

post-2955-1083655445_thumb.png

post-2955-1083655446_thumb.png

post-2955-1083655447_thumb.png

post-2955-1083655448_thumb.png