IGNORED

How access to Mame emulator since dashboard VCS

.nIk0.

I run Mame emulator from the vcs dashboard. 

If you want access to Mame

- Start VCS on linux distribution

- mount VCS game partition

- allowed read/write on game partition

- find folder in "Games folder" with Mame laucher and folder roms

After, you do enable emulator 7800 icon on dashboard.

In first do backup copy of bundle.ini and lauch-mame files.

To be continued later 

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like this and the 7800 emulator are packaged with a recent system update.  I couldn't download them from the store, just "rate" them. 

So you just add a flash drive with dos games in and the system will detect they are DOS when you try to launch them and launch DOSbox?  How best to work this?

I wonder if i could load the 7800 library as well to use with that emulator..or if it only works for the storefront 7800 titles.  Not that i don't want to support Atari i'll probably buy a few. 

1 hour ago, Rick Dangerous said:

Looks like this and the 7800 emulator are packaged with a recent system update.  I couldn't download them from the store, just "rate" them. 

So you just add a flash drive with dos games in and the system will detect they are DOS when you try to launch them and launch DOSbox?  How best to work this?

I wonder if i could load the 7800 library as well to use with that emulator..or if it only works for the storefront 7800 titles.  Not that i don't want to support Atari i'll probably buy a few. 

I don't think anyone has figured it out yet.  My guess is the DOSbox one is for some eventual DOS games they own being released (though for the life of me I can't think of any DOS era games Atari made).

For the 7800, if we could figure out what AtariOS needs to display things (like do they use the xdg .desktop files?), then how a command line works with the current 7800 games and add artwork, etc.  Does it even support a78 roms, or did they make a custom emulator?

On 10/17/2021 at 9:55 PM, .nIk0. said:

I run Mame emulator from the vcs dashboard. 

If you want access to Mame

- Start VCS on linux distribution

- mount VCS game partition

- allowed read/write on game partition

- find folder in "Games folder" with Mame laucher and folder roms

After, you do enable emulator 7800 icon on dashboard.

In first do backup copy of bundle.ini and lauch-mame files.

To be continued later 

Have you figured out a way to do a storage mount?  I have my mame collection on my NAS.

Yes, for emulated atari 7800 it use Mame emulator. Yes you can add emulators bios. 

no for the moment no external support because not possible to modify the system part and write on it. 

when i change system partition the vcs does not start correctly. I need to do more research

52 minutes ago, .nIk0. said:

the emulator is Mame. and a line of code allows you to directly launch the 7800 emulator. when we delete the line we have access to Mame's dashboard. yes read a78 files. You can add emulators bios and games. 

This is amazing, as it opens pretty much everything under the sun.  PS1 games anyone?  Though at that point using the internal storage for the AtariOS is very important, or as I suggested, adding in an sshfs or nfs share into the mix for storage.

This excites me in all the right ways.

• 8 months later...
On 10/18/2021 at 4:49 PM, .nIk0. said:

I have some questions on using mame over VCS menu.

After applying above changes I can use mame and add other 7800 games and emulator roms, but when I press a button on my joystick in a game mame ends and I am back at VCS Menu. When I use a Keyboard to play the games they work properly. What can I do to play games with VCS joystick?

After a little research I figured out that is is much easier to access mame on VCS than modify the mame-laucher.

Just download a random 7800 game from the e-store.

You have to plug a USB-Keyboard to VCS.

When it is startet you can press TAB and voila you are in Mame UI for 7800 machine. Joysticks working properly on this special rom.

If you load another game over the file manager, you have to use the keyboard to play it. When you press joystick button you go back to VCS-Menu...

If you want to play a 7800 homebrew game like Scramble or any other with joystick, you can modify the bundle.ini of the downloaded game and change the filename with rom-name of the game you want to play. (you have to copy the rom to the same folder of the downloaded 7800 game) In this case the joysticks works well with that homebrew rom, but sometimes you have to edit the joystick controls over mame UI (TAB) for the machine, don't know why this is so... It's a little workaround until I figure out how to modify mame.ini.