IGNORED

Atari Revised Annual Results

Nall3k

I know it's not directly related to VCS, but I still feel it's relevant because they reveal what two more games are coming. https://finance.yahoo.com/news/atari-revision-estimated-2020-2021-060000876.html

"The new strategy of the video game division, Atari Games, is aimed at improving cash-flow generation by expanding its portfolio of games, notably by publishing premium games for PC and consoles, re-releasing classic titles and focusing on the most profitable and high-potential mobile games in its portfolio. The first premium game, Centipede Recharged, was launched in September and three other games in the "Recharged" series (Black Widow, Asteroids and Breakout) will be released in the coming months. Also, several new titles have been put into production for release in 2022, including a new version of the classic Food Fight, an Atari 50th Anniversary Collection as well as Atari Mania, an original remix of classic Atari mini-games."

My concern is, how many times can you re-release old Atari games in a collection before consumers stop buying? Atari Vault has been out for years. They really need to get something new out, a new IP in some way. I just don't think another collection or a remix is going to do much, but I could be wrong.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nall3k said:

... an Atari 50th Anniversary Collection as well as Atari Mania, an original remix of classic Atari mini-games."

I'm curious how this 50th anniversary collection will differ from Atari Vault, a compilation that's been out since 2016. Maybe the package will be more like Intellivision Lives! on PC, with developer interviews, a history section, retro commercials, etc. (and the games to play, of course). I wonder who's handling development. Maybe Code Mystics again. Still, I'm looking forward to more info on that.

The brief description of "Atari Mania" reminds me of a WarioWare-style game they published in 2007 called Hot Pixel. It also reminds me of that really cool Atari database website (which I frequent regularly lol)

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, bugcatcher88 said:

I'm curious how this 50th anniversary collection will differ from Atari Vault, a compilation that's been out since 2016. Maybe the package will be more like Intellivision Lives! on PC, with developer interviews, a history section, retro commercials, etc. (and the games to play, of course). I wonder who's handling development. Maybe Code Mystics again. Still, I'm looking forward to more info on that.

The brief description of "Atari Mania" reminds me of a WarioWare-style game they published in 2007 called Hot Pixel. It also reminds me of that really cool Atari database website (which I frequent regularly lol)

This to me is the big dilemma for Atari. Fred sold most of their most valuable "contemporary" IP while simultaneously diluting the brand. The Recharge series is a good idea, but relying too heavily on 30+ year IP that has seen numerous compilations isn't going to grow your company. Imagine Activision relying on Pitfall or Kaboom still.

Have to get something new out there, like Minimum.

2 hours ago, Nall3k said:

This to me is the big dilemma for Atari. Fred sold most of their most valuable "contemporary" IP while simultaneously diluting the brand. The Recharge series is a good idea, but relying too heavily on 30+ year IP that has seen numerous compilations isn't going to grow your company. Imagine Activision relying on Pitfall or Kaboom still.

Have to get something new out there, like Minimum.

Out of all the IPs they sold post-bankruptcy, Alone in the Dark & Test Drive are the two biggest losses (IMO). Those names are still recognizable and a fanbase still exists for them. I do agree they should branch out and create new, original IP. With everything they sold off since, what do they have left besides the '72-'96 Atari consumer properties? That report still mentions owning over "200 franchises". I bet they also include the numerous classic compilations of the same old games in that number.

Minimum was an neat-looking game. The blocky aesthetic fits perfectly with how consumers view Atari today (a retro brand). I can't find much info on that one. I assume the game's been dead for a while now.