IGNORED

Is Godfall a good game?

sn8k

The game looks really cool. But almost every review I watch says it's shit.

One guy even outlines why the game is shit but says he can't stop playing it for some reason. Over 20 hours...  it's a bad game he wont stop playing....

I don't get it. User reviews on google are generally pretty positive on the other wnd of the spectrum.

• 2 months later...

I picked up Godfall pretty cheaply about a month ago, and it's really good!  The graphics look sharp and the gameplay is just simple, old school hackin' & slashin' with a giant sword (or whatever weapon you prefer).  However, I've only spent about 5-6 hours with it and in the meantime I'm also playing Chorus (also fun as hell, I needed a good space shooter) and Kena: Bridge of Spirits (which just looks stunning, like playing a Pixar movie).

Edited by glazball

I started playing Godfall again Sunday morning, and my plan was just to play for a bit and move on to another game...  but I played all day and every evening since!  This game simply has it's hooks in me.  I'm at level 25 and I believe the game caps at 50, so I suppose I'm about halfway through the game.  If I can go ahead and answer the OP's question: yes, I would say that Godfall is a good game!

Firstly, the graphics are stunning.  Everything looks vivid and vibrant, and sometimes even seems like you're in a giant (waterless) aquarium because the colors are so rich.

Enemies really appear have physical mass and presence.  When you sprint into a group of enemies, you really feel like each one is solid and their animations superb (as opposed to a game where you just shoot hordes of similar-looking baddies/soldiers/zombies).  Some are spellcasters and their magical effects just pop.  One thing I've noticed is that the high graphical quality may come at the price of having less enemies on screen.  That's not a problem for me and I think it just looks fantastic.

One minor issue is that when purchasing a weapon, most games will show you what you have equipped so you can compare, but Godfall does not.  I haven't found a way to do it, which can be a bit frustrating, but the plus side of that is that you aren't really inclined or supposed to change weapons all the time (like Borderlands, etc).

The game itself brings nothing really new to the table, gameplay wise.  However, I think everything the devs wanted to do comes through and I'm totally ok with the lack of originality.  I admit I'm still in the honeymoon phase of my PS5 and 4K tv purchases, so I'm inclined to ooh and aah at just about any game, lol.

Godfall's not a game for the history books, but it is fun and definitely worth a few hours of your time.