IGNORED

Good Programming Tablet?

KevKelley

I currently use an old Windows 7 Dell and Visual batari Basic to make my games. While my setup works great for what I do, I was looking at options to make programming a bit more portable.

I was wondering if there are any good suggestions for a small tablet or something that can run VbB, Stella, and the Atari Dev Studio (as I am meaning to eventually try programming in that as well). 

I was thinking if I get a small tablet with keyboard and mouse attachment it would be easier for me to lug it to work and then sit in my car or some corner to program.

32 minutes ago, KevKelley said:

I currently use an old Windows 7 Dell and Visual batari Basic to make my games. While my setup works great for what I do, I was looking at options to make programming a bit more portable.

I was wondering if there are any good suggestions for a small tablet or something that can run VbB, Stella, and the Atari Dev Studio (as I am meaning to eventually try programming in that as well). 

I was thinking if I get a small tablet with keyboard and mouse attachment it would be easier for me to lug it to work and then sit in my car or some corner to program.

If you are looking for a tablet that has a keyboard and mouse (touchpad) with USB ports that runs Windows, I suggest a Microsoft Surface Pro. They run full versions of windows and while I cannot vouch for VbB or the Dev Studio, I am sure they would run Stella. 

2 minutes ago, Dopy25 said:

If you are looking for a tablet that has a keyboard and mouse (touchpad) with USB ports that runs Windows, I suggest a Microsoft Surface Pro. They run full versions of windows and while I cannot vouch for VbB or the Dev Studio, I am sure they would run Stella. 

I assume most things would work. I know VbB isn't supported anymore but I'm sure it would work. My desktop is Windows 10 and it works but I rarely use it. I was tempted to get either a smaller old Netbook but I see newer Windows 10 tablets cheap with varying ratings online. I don't mind things not being super fast since I would only use it for programming, emulating, web browsing, and maybe some older programs I use.

One thing I'm not too familiar with are Chromebooks or Android tablets but I don't think they would offer me the most flexibility.

I did see a Surface Pro so I am considering that as an option. Just wanna weigh it all. 

17 minutes ago, Dopy25 said:

Chromebooks or android tablets wouldn't get you anywhere close to what you are looking for. My wife has a Surface Pro 4 running Windows 10 just fine. It runs her vinyl cutting software smoother than butter. 

Shhh. If my wife hears that she might want it for her vinyl cutter. Lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Netbooks have tiny screen, tiny keyboards and tiny mushpads.
I used them for many years when travelling overseas but you really need to love tiny to be happy with them.
I still use one occasionally as a serial terminal emulator for connecting to various bits of equipment and as a datalogger - where its small size is good.

Second hand laptops are cheap and have much nicer sized keyboards, screens, etc.

• Like 1