IGNORED

Balloon Girl / Sharkstorm Atari 2600 Dual Cart

Gemintronic

Just made a batch of Balloon Girl / Sharkstorm homebrew double enders!

Balloon Girl is a side-scrolling one button action game.  Made it because I enjoy Flappy Bird and Balloon Fight.  Plus, making an accessibility controller friendly one button game sounded like a worthy challenge.

Sharkstorm is the developer version of Twist R Shark.  Basically, a procedural top down boss rush shooter.   This was my last forray into boss rush games after Cyber Willy and/or BOSS.

Bringing this to the CORGs expo if anyone wants a copy!

dualcartcib.thumb.jpg.7d1427856a062bfe8ae5de49f93a1565.jpg

Balloon Girl related link:

http://www.indieretronews.com/2016/02/balloon-girl-tap-your-way-through.html

Sharkstorm related link:

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/264393-twistr-shark-limited-edition-atari-2600/

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Crazy Climber said:

You have another pic of that sweet custom double ender case?

Hey, Crazy Climber!  I keep wanting to tell you about Crazy Climber 2 being on the Nintendo Switch store but then I realized you'd be the one person who already knows :)

Got these older pics of the Gemintronic "dual cart" first runs.  Balloon Girl / Sharkstorm is obviously in the more wood colored flavor.  Can see the 3D print artifacts here and there.  What ya gonna do ?

UPDATE:  Forgot to mention we had to 3D print a custom insert (bottom right) to get the weird cartridge shape to fit in a case.

dualc.thumb.jpg.8a99e3ba0157b2db633e165cbe64d7e8.jpg

• Thanks 1

That's super awesome Draxxon!

Definitely less clean looking than the previous community art.  But, these are intentionally simple games.  Balloon Girl being one button gameplay.  I think the new label better communicates what it's all about.

UPDATE:  Yeah, Nitebear on Sleepystreet is another Gemintronic title.  Though the artwork there is from a cart brought to a convention by Neo Games for signing (to promote Atari 2600 homebrew development).

• Thanks 1

I would love to see the community art. I'm no expert, but I feel these homebrews deserve some kind of thumbnail to click on instead of a "No art available" placeholder.

I believe those are the only two games of yours we have in the flashback pack, but if you want us to, we can include them all.

Edited by Draxxon
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Draxxon said:

I would love to see the community art. I'm no expert, but I feel these homebrews deserve some kind of thumbnail to click on instead of a "No art available" placeholder.

I believe those are the only two games of yours we have in the flashback pack, but if you want us to we can include them all.

Any free ROM I made available here or at ROMHacking, PDROMs, etc.. should be fair game.  Some Gemintronic titles should already be in homebrew collections too.

I'd just try to avoid dumps of physical titles for obvious reasons.  :)

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Draxxon said:

This is what I've got. If you have something better, I would love to use it instead. But I have a question. Is Shark Storm a rom that is freely available? I cannot find it.

BalloonGirl.a26.png BLTBlast.a26.png Nitebear.a26.png  UppPlusPlus.a26.png

Neotokeo releases limited edition carts and does not release roms. The reason he gave was due to bootlegs being sold without permission. It also makes them more attractive to some collectors.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Gemintronic said:

Hey, Crazy Climber!  I keep wanting to tell you about Crazy Climber 2 being on the Nintendo Switch store but then I realized you'd be the one person who already knows :)

Got these older pics of the Gemintronic "dual cart" first runs.  Balloon Girl / Sharkstorm is obviously in the more wood colored flavor.  Can see the 3D print artifacts here and there.  What ya gonna do ?

UPDATE:  Forgot to mention we had to 3D print a custom insert (bottom right) to get the weird cartridge shape to fit in a case.

dualc.thumb.jpg.8a99e3ba0157b2db633e165cbe64d7e8.jpg

HA! Yeah, believe it or not I'm actually really bad at that game ;)

Wow, that cart is awesome!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

First unboxing and/or impressions coming in from YouTube.

Some great feedback.  Obviously the home made feel was intentional.. but, I'm always afraid people wouldn't get it :) 

It looks like he had one of the difficulty switches set to PRO for Sharkstorm as the level 1 boss usually looks like Jaws (no side segments)

• Like 2

I posted this in the Marketplace but want to put it here as well. 

Got my copy in yesterday. I really like both games. It took a minute to realize that the joystick you were referring to is shaped like a Nintendo controller but that totally makes sense now. The cart is cool and having a modern double ender is just sweet. It is neat how you created the custom cart holder piece for inside the case. The label is very nice. Love the artwork!