IGNORED

Steam Deck

Reaperman

1 hour ago, Zoyous said:

Cool! Is there anything I can do to prepare on Steam in advance, or just wait until I have the device in hand?

Nothing really to do from the Steam end until you get the power of awesome in your hands : )

Here's a vid showing the setup (and excluding Steam Rom Manager) so you can check it out now.  The current EmuDeck setup is a bit different from that vid, but not much.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Well so far I've been really enjoying the Steam Deck! I was wondering, though... regarding shaders in Emulation Station - I like to use a CRT shader most of the time, but I'm having to select and load it every time I start a new game. I've tried to find a way to apply it universally to every game by default, but so far, no luck. Has anyone else tried that and had success?

One other issue I've noticed is in regards to the Xbox emulator, Xemu. Namely, that the sensitivity of the analog sticks is quite a bit different from the original hardware. I found a way to adjust the deadzone in the SteamOS, which helped a bit but it still feels too sensitive. Also, the deadzone appears to function kind of opposite to how I expected. Usually I have considered the deadzone to be in the center of the stick, but in SteamOS it looks like the center of the stick is the active area and the deadzone is around the perimeter. The result is the action near the center is way too sensitive. Back in the day, I was ranked in the top 25 on the global leaderboards for Outrun 2 and Outrun 2006, but on the Steam Deck/in Xemu I can barely finish a stage with the next-to-lowest ranking. I did try plugging in an Xbox Series controller when playing through a dock, and had the same problems. So I'm leaning toward it being primarily software-based, although I can't definitively say that the OG Xbox S controller and the Series controller have comparable analog sticks internally. I think there are several factors, not least of which is that Xbox emulation is still in a fairly rough state (although much improved over the past 2-3 years!) but yeah, that's one thing that's been a struggle and I'll keep tinkering with it.

G8Bv90Um.jpg

Sneak level 68 and counting. 🤣

The order of thought processes on this one:

• I don't like skyrim, but everybody just loves it--better give it another chance.
  • I'm currently on a ps3 kick, but skyrim legendary edition is really ugly. Better buy it on switch.
  • Oh wait, I'm dumb, I own it on steam already. 
  • Oh wait, it won't let me grind my sneak ability on a secondary monitor while I'm using the computer for actual computer things.
  • Let me get that steam thing I use for youtube in bed.
Edited by Reaperman
  • Haha 3

Got a fully loaded steam deck and dock.  This thing is a game changer.  Nothing like playing Alan Wake or Uncharted 4 in bed!

In the months ahead i need to figure out how to do emulation and all that.   Seems weird you can't add apps like Youtube, Netflix, etc.

Overall SUPER happy with this device!  This is my next console moving forward, no more Sony/Xbox except for what I already have.  Nintendo can stay :D 

7OoYHXTFXqgh5r70V8yfrskeuXP1R7X5VzYBHdV2m0NO-hYG7LUwR0zXI8ELyCy1eeVu67CUiuU1OUBZuBs7T9iCDFUnnuDxc62O5GFPbUK1RGc2smndvabnkJbxSBz1MMwfsUnATaUYrcvCa8gC6IQlyV00L9QIpwoePO9Y5YvFXzhmeuOyY0wXZ30y7ZaplKPCuIm7NOeNJZfV_B0166EEKXDuQYDK5m695CQV719Ep0yd0-4e_C7_TvZcgfHZkdzbBTulh1dvNW6FuZ67-m_WYNqVQWM4_9VGOSEx77_dLuveHmiDlB3Z9M2BCrwdG7VnlqFM27XU9ZU8K6yAzd2t43sNUNFjpVPN4K5tECSmr7bWYcMsEqbrit1etBNYiBPViTJ64O2JicfQs22edkm2wPliZIhmDrk6sPQn44z725rcqx9t7D4-q0uzbz73s1ZcLZd7j2qc1Mc5lLDpAOM2o5Y72zLURhNpkrZaoLgBZHs1dNP5qkBEz8J6MbADsu7iLV9lu6e4UxCfdsoiNQi2cXXhAKE6qXROL7v3fN22tb7aeP_EBF9BSyESWzo8DDMgV3z22Eomq32ZDJGs3IFoToMu2wLq_X9oSwLWdaFrfZ5_uNunyC6Iyk1dCP0g-X5GH8oH6MTyYt4-oS7R10Wwf4Q3tu_4p8QETgoiQNIX0ierDD6feYbdMK-nxNjS3Q5lojUUQ9FGd4SGjxSy46pIp_MkRe3Y1wEwdqWyZe4AHcUtYDGObpo5U6yNVGYjyiVI-gSimpzaAMkEAuzFdqFBTJYDKw5Usw0ZePMCPMCtK2fSU3EfCKBeuXltI1C5__JkkJ5Xq9H40iCU8cyam3VIZMVHGOWKA6UOnPiLj3Y9YOF1WSmVLzeFlwQv_EG6zos4yT7O5CZ1st58soOKee1JmydJcZc_pQLLBio=w1282-h961-no?authuser=0

Edited by Rick Dangerous
  • Like 2

On 10/20/2022 at 8:41 AM, Rick Dangerous said:

Seems weird you can't add apps like Youtube, Netflix, etc.

I didn't have any trouble adding the Brave browser in over the standard browser for my youtube fun. I don't think those sites have pc apps. That sounds more like a phone-stuff.

I wonder if web shortcuts could be added to the steam menu by using maybe a .lnk file--I'd try it, but my menu is already all crapped up with that last brush with emulation. I still have to undo all that trash, especially since I noticed my steamdeck categories carry over to desktop steam. It makes sense, but I don't like it.

Edited by Reaperman

The other thing i like is that this fits in my big man hands comfortably.

The switch has always felt tiny in my hands.

Played Alien Isolation last night in bed...Amazing!!  It feels like handhelds have fully caught up with home consoles.  Remember in the 90's/2ks they were always 1-2 gens behind? 

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/16/2022 at 6:45 PM, Reaperman said:

G8Bv90Um.jpg

Sneak level 68 and counting. 🤣

The order of thought processes on this one:

• I don't like skyrim, but everybody just loves it--better give it another chance.
  • I'm currently on a ps3 kick, but skyrim legendary edition is really ugly. Better buy it on switch.
  • Oh wait, I'm dumb, I own it on steam already. 
  • Oh wait, it won't let me grind my sneak ability on a secondary monitor while I'm using the computer for actual computer things.
  • Let me get that steam thing I use for youtube in bed.

That is hilarious! It’s been a while since I played, but is there some other skill that can be upped just by button presses? I may be thinking of an older Elder Scrolls game when jumping everywhere upped a physical skill.

just set up a drinking bird to press a button….

• 1 month later...

I recently grabbed Persona 4 Golden during the Steam sale. I played through it on the Vita way back and absolutely loved it. I've already got 80 hours in on it. It's better than I remember it being.

I also bought Forza 4 with a gift card during the sale. This game runs perfectly on the deck!

I now have to begin the arduous task of moving EmuDeck to the SD card slot. My SSD is filling fast. Forza 4 alone is 100GB of space. Man I hope this is as easy as it sounds.

• 2 months later...

anybody else suddenly getting terrible battery life? Just me?

I usually use the steam deck to watch youtube in bed, or while I'm playing games on other systems 🙄

And lately I've noticed I get maybe an hour out of it. Browser I use is brave, and I've tried setting a per-game profile with low CPU and GPU, but it doesn't seem to help.

Outside of the regular updates, the only change is that I bought it a 512gb samsung card to replace a slower 512gb sandisk card.

Basically I'm wondering if the regular update broke something and others are seeing it too.

Edited by Reaperman
  • Sad 1

okay, it's looking like this is a known thing. a battery life/health calibration mismatch(?).

I start up youtube on a fresh battery @21:42 with per-game cpu+gpu cranked all the way down.

it reports '21 minutes left' in (this image) 9 minutes later (21:51). 5.1w consumption...

four minutes later (21:55) it reports 46% battery in (this image). I've stopped youtube at this point.

I boot into desktop mode, (this image) shows the battery health warning.

I restart and sit on the big picture mode default menu. it bottoms out at 0-3% (variable) by 22:03, 20 min from full charge,

but doesn't shut off, just keeps going.

If shut down, it won't turn back on if it thinks the battery is low, without the power cable being briefly attached.  and it can get pretty naggy with those low battery alarms/notifications/chimes.

These symptoms started abruptly late last week

(This article), and the video below seems to have the same issue.  have not tried this "fix"--sounds bad for the battery to drain it to zero.

Edited by Reaperman

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/7/2023 at 2:14 AM, roots.genoa said:

But it doesn't seem to fix the problem for good, though. 😒

it sure doesn't work very long. 🤣

A few charges later it goes back to completely not working. It's not the 100% most annoying thing, since it doesn't sleep at it's imagined low-power (like they did at launch).

if I take it somewhere I have to plan carefully, because I only get to power on/unsleep once.

(unless I briefly plug it in)

Edited by Reaperman

• 4 months later...

The steam deck got bad enough that Valve is RMA'ing it. They actually have pretty awesome support. I know that interaction is mostly via chatbot, but it's efficient, and for something like this it probably at least had to be quickly skimmed by a real human before approval. 

I've been having a worse and worse time with getting it to charge/discharge normally, and it looks like this these days--and yes, it does charge up about as fast as it drains 🤣:

Edited by Reaperman

• 1 month later...

So now, my headphone jack doesn't work. Probably never has on the replacement deck. 🙄 Google says this is a software problem from at least a year ago, and suggests it probably works properly in desktop mode. Since I can hear the jack plugging in, I'll just bet it's that, and not a problem with the jack itself.

Up to this point, I've been using bluetooth headphones for 'youtube in bed' on the new deck. But bluetooth's delay is unsuitable for actual gaming. There's a punchline somewhere in there about the steam deck too, but it's early, and I've no mood left to polish it up.

Decking still feels better than rebuying games for switch. I've got a vacation coming up, and I plan to be 'roughing it' with just the steam deck and analogue pocket--no 'proper' laptop this time.

Edited by Reaperman

• 1 month later...

The consensus seems to be that the newer APUs in other handheld PCs are only getting much of a performance bump if you throw a lot more power at them. You can get twice the performance but the price is half the battery life and a bunch of overheating issues.

The new Steam Deck should still be quite competitive in watt-for-watt terms, and you should actually get a full two hours of out it unthrottled now. Mainly though, the screen is no longer the thing that's holding it back.

https://store.steampowered.com/sale/steamdeck_2023

Older LCD Steam Decks are being discounted as they are phased out. As I mentioned before, I have been primarily using my 64GB Steam Deck as the brains of my MAME cabinet and then secondarily for handheld gaming on occasional trips. The built-in screen isn't that big a deal to me, so I might grab another one for a vertical MAME setup if the discounts get to be more significant.

I've had the steamdeck+dock for about a year now.  Works mostly fine for me, although probably only 1/5th of my library is Verified.  Then again I usually use it docked to play Minecraft since my home comp isn't strong enough to run it anymore.

I haven't noticed battery issues yet, but as I said I use it docked most of the time.  Biggest irritation for me is that occasionally while docked the Steamdeck suddenly forgets it has a keyboard/mouse plugged in.  Not helpful when you're surrounded by a field of sculk sensors, shriekers, and wardens...  I can usually fix that by unplugging the deck from the dock for about 5-8 seconds then plugging it back in.  It's a bit flaky in how often that happens. I can game all day long sometimes without issue, then it'll happen 2-3 times in a row on another day.

Overall still satisfied with the deck. There are certainly things that it could do better, but honestly it's outperformed my expectations going in.  I'll probably end up skipping the oled upgrade but I'll keep an eye open for the next gen.

For what it's worth the new deck has held up well on the 9-day vacation I'm finishing up--the first leg of my 'retirement village visiting quest.'

I still basically use it to watch youtube in bed--on minimum brightness, in yellowy night-mode, so obviously the upgrade to OLED isn't high on my priority list. 🤣 I think I used it for 'actual gaming' all of about an hour over that 9-day trip. with some Demon's Tilt and a flavor of Geometry Wars. Most gaming was done on the pocket. --BUT-- I didn't bring a laptop thanks to this thing, which is a big plus.

But things I've noticed about the new deck:

• I have gotten its headphone jack working, though I have to regularly make specific audio device changes in the settings menu every time I switch between docked and headphone use--regular speakers work in both modes. 🙄 I shouldn't have to do this.
  • it has a different model of stick module making it incompatible with my gulikit upgrade. The sticks it should really come with from the factory...
  • Also the sticks on my old one were rough and quickly accumulated coloration from 'thumb filings'--the new steam deck has only one stick that does that, the right stick is smoother so remains black.
Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Finally took the plunge and got the Steam Deck OLED 512gb model.  It is a big boy and I am not 100% certain I made a (very good) financial decision.  But, I can say that I have begun my journey on the device by playing Super Woden GP II, which was (highly) recommended by others.

Edited by Hwlngmad
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...