IGNORED

Couch Compliant Logo

KevKelley

After seeing some discussion of the term "Couch Compliant" by @littaum and @ZeroPage Homebrew, I was playing around with the idea of a logo to be jokingly displayed by games, kind of like how games had the teddy bear logo before. 

I started with some pixelized couches and went from there looking to make something that would be easily recognizable if small. 

This is what I ended up with: 

COUCH COMPLIANT LOGO.tif

Couch Compliant Logo.png

Edited by KevKelley
  • Like 12

I was considering placing a small version of this on something I was making and thought I would share.  If anyone has some ideas I would love to see.  This was fun.  Usually when I make little art projects I start with an idea and just keep editing things and flow with it to see what it morphs into.

• Like 1

Very nice! Expanding off of yours, here's my take on it.

I've simplified the couch and given it a more pixelized look. I've also added in two joysticks to imply that all the options in the game can be accessed from the couch. I've also added in the words 'Couch Compliant' to make it clear what it is.

I'm not a graphic artist so things could definitely be cleaned up, such as making all the line thicknesses the same and better spacing. This is also simple enough that it could be done with 2600 graphics on the intro screen (minus the words).

- James

image.png.7d86aafb87cee06fb542737ce3c7537f.png

• Like 3

3 hours ago, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

Very nice! Expanding off of yours, here's my take on it.

I've simplified the couch and given it a more pixelized look. I've also added in two joysticks to imply that all the options in the game can be accessed from the couch. I've also added in the words 'Couch Compliant' to make it clear what it is.

I'm not a graphic artist so things could definitely be cleaned up, such as making all the line thicknesses the same and better spacing. This is also simple enough that it could be done with 2600 graphics on the intro screen (minus the words).

- James

image.png.7d86aafb87cee06fb542737ce3c7537f.png

I had originally went a similar direction but instead I had the couch and then beside the couch I had the controller type, like COUCH+JOYx2. But I couldn't get the joysticks to match my couch aesthetic.

I also tried so many variations of lettering above and below and in the couch. I like this though. Everything has a nice matching style.

1 hour ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

Like it. I made a slightly more comfortable variation which also matches the 2600 pixel aspect ratio.

image.png.ff86b593a95611db284da35f1b704e1a.png

Ooh. This is really nice. I may have to use this. I like how it looks when @vitoco made it small next to an emoji. I was currently playing around with my logo next to the teddy bear icon but I think this looks well beside it. I like how the word couch is kind of like the back cushions.

• Like 3

The black and white logo by Thomas looks good but these old eyes find it hard to differentiate the words from the line-art.

So I edited them to fill in the cushions to make them a bit more solid to my eyes.

couch-grey.png.1dbebb69b7bf98cb1b775fe310b8bed6.pnggrey fill-in

couch-black.png.7b5c68de738cc5e2c7334a0fdefffb5a.pngmonochrome fill-in

couch-brown.png.688d6b1ddc83442a958657cc66cd51d2.pngbrown fill-in

couch-dithered.png.be5674574d7ff416911198d977f9ab32.pngmonochrome dithered

couch.png.baaab237324cf0ee66b0b60ec26cf095.pngoriginal

Probably only the monochrome ones will work on an actual VCS.

• Like 1

On 11/4/2021 at 5:22 AM, MarcoJ said:

hahaha I love this. It makes a big difference for games that need restarting often. 

Oh man, that's for sure. Tanya and I have to take turns sitting on the floor for some of the Activision Patch challenges for games that need 'rage resetting'!

- James

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

Oh man, that's for sure. Tanya and I have to take turns sitting on the floor for some of the Activision Patch challenges for games that need 'rage resetting'!

Someone should develop a console mod which allows resets from the distance. Can't be too complicated.

Actually.... there's a reset and select switch installation option for the RGB mod I have in the 2600. The problem is that I didn't like how you had to mod a joystick, and then ALWAYS use that joystick, to make it work so I didn't install it. I'm not skilled enough at electronics to make it work without a joystick but I'm sure there's a way to connect a wired detachable lead coming out from the board with two buttons for reset/select.

- James

image.thumb.png.62c51f8f3941554bcebddd0b308e23fb.png

2 minutes ago, Gemintronic said:

What is the definition of Couch Compliant?

I imagine that it'd be a game that lets you:

* Toggle difficulty through joystick

* Exit title screen and game over via FIRE

* Allows return to title screen at any point by some joystick combination

That's Couch Compliant Gold standard. For Couch Compliant Bronze level, you only need a reset function at game over. :) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 5

3 minutes ago, Gemintronic said:

I would definitely say the above is necessary to meet compliance.

More obscure options that are available through the difficulty switches, such as ones that are user preferences and only set once, I don't think would be necessary to be accessible via the joystick. For example the flicker options in some games, you either like them on or off and don't usually change them once they're set.

3 minutes ago, Gemintronic said:

This would be VERY challenging to do with one button on the 2600 and I don't think would be necessary. It's easy enough to lose all your lives in most games and get back to the title screen to start over.

- James

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

That's Couch Compliant Gold standard. For Couch Compliant Bronze level, you only need a reset function at game over. :) 

Hahah, love the Bronze, Silver and Gold certifications.

If you want to see some good examples of possible Couch Compliant Gold Level certification upgrades to classic games check out any of @Omegamatrix's menu hacks!

- James

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

Actually.... there's a reset and select switch installation option for the RGB mod I have in the 2600. The problem is that I didn't like how you had to mod a joystick, and then ALWAYS use that joystick, to make it work so I didn't install it. I'm not skilled enough at electronics to make it work without a joystick but I'm sure there's a way to connect a wired detachable lead coming out from the board with two buttons for reset/select.

- James

image.thumb.png.62c51f8f3941554bcebddd0b308e23fb.png

Another thought is that the actual modification on the joystick is essentially wiring in a small PCB that routes the combinations + button press to do the functions. That PCB could be installed into any controller and wire in the same was as it is on the standard CX40. In fact, I've got a client wanting me to install this into a SEARS Arcade II controller if I'm able. So if you could get just the part that needs to go into the controller, then any controller that has been modified with the PCB inside it and an extra button installed could be made to work. After all the modification on the 2600 doesn't limit it to that controller only. You can still use a normal controller but then you would also have the option to use a modified controller that would work with it when you wanted.

15 hours ago, stepho said:

The black and white logo by Thomas looks good but these old eyes find it hard to differentiate the words from the line-art.

So I edited them to fill in the cushions to make them a bit more solid to my eyes.

couch-grey.png.1dbebb69b7bf98cb1b775fe310b8bed6.pnggrey fill-in

couch-black.png.7b5c68de738cc5e2c7334a0fdefffb5a.pngmonochrome fill-in

couch-brown.png.688d6b1ddc83442a958657cc66cd51d2.pngbrown fill-in

couch-dithered.png.be5674574d7ff416911198d977f9ab32.pngmonochrome dithered

couch.png.baaab237324cf0ee66b0b60ec26cf095.pngoriginal

Probably only the monochrome ones will work on an actual VCS.

These are all great!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

Someone should develop a console mod which allows resets from the distance. Can't be too complicated.

I had always thought of a more mechanical solution, like having a small device sit on top the game select and reset switches (or all of them) with a push-pull solenoid on it. Activate the device and it would push or pull the various switches. That way you don't have to mod the system.

Sadly my electronics skills are not that sophisticated. I am limited to simple diagnostics, cleaning, and repairs. Designing something like that is a bit beyond my level!

Edited by KevKelley

44 minutes ago, Gemintronic said:

My thought was allowing base gameplay or simple decisions made through menus/buttons and to start the game or reset the game at game over from a button. 

• Like 1

On 10/30/2021 at 5:50 PM, Thomas Jentzsch said:

I made a slightly more comfortable variation which also matches the 2600 pixel aspect ratio.

16 hours ago, stepho said:

I took both comments and made V2 of it:

CouchCompliant-v2-demo.png.fd0926435fec4fdfd5355842b2100f06.png

I wanted to test it both as player and playfield graphics in a CRT before posting it (it matches both pixel and PF ratios), but as many people are reading this right now, I think it was better to receive the comments ASAP.

Update: Fixed "U".

CouchCompliant-v3-demo.png.7d609649abe28994621350ad5a2a8cb3.png

++V

Edited by vitoco
  • Like 1