IGNORED

HSC18 Round 18: PRINCE OF PERSIA + SEASON CATCH-UP

10 hours ago, carlsson said:

I got exactly 1 screen further after learning that I can move slowly. And I managed to do that once on multiple attempts. Great game, but not for me.

If you walk to the very edge of a platform he will teeter but not fall, if you walk again he will fall. Not all need to be on the edge you do get used to it ;-)

10 hours ago, AtariSphinx said:

Made it to level 2 in PoP!  Got a ways into level 2 before getting killed.

Not sure I like the controls but impressed that this game can run on an Atari 

Last time through I  made it to that exact same guy.  I think he's the 3rd one you fight on level 2

On 11/5/2021 at 2:51 PM, AtariSphinx said:

I think he was the third one too. Not sure I will give this another shot.  Great looking game and amazing work just not my favorite type of game. 

Well i got past that guy and the next guy you have to jump over an elevated chasm before you fight, and I just die right away.  Maybe there's another way but I'm close to stopping as well.

I can blow through the first level now no problem but the fighting is so hard.  Up to block is hard to time, and although I think I'm getting better at swinging I still die all too often on the first guy in level 2, let alone making it consistently to the 4th.

EDIT:  Since I have an NES and a RetroUSB cart connected to same TV as my 1200XL I thought I'd give that version a try.  I actually like the Atari version way better.  It looks better and maybe this isn't fair because I've played it more, but I thought the Atari version controlled better.  I didn't even get to the sword on the NES.  I will never touch the NES version again, that's for sure.  Kudos to the team that brought this to the Atari.

Edited by 8BIT 1337
  • Like 2

Finally I made it to level 2 as well, and defeated like 3-4 of the swordsmen before my luck was over. I'll admit it grows on you once you've figured out the controls properly and start to learn the mechanics on each level, but so far I play it because I "have to", not because it is irresistible.

On the other hand I played Phoenix Lair because I had to, not due to I loved the game so it probably goes for a lot of HSC games.

Edited by carlsson
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, rensoup said:

Block timing is actually easy, just Up Up Up Up Up Up Up Up Up Up Up Up Up Up Up Up Up ...

I tried that and maybe I need a new joystick because it did not work for me LOL

Having said that, I've beat the 4th guy and even a 5th, and made it to the door at the end of level 2.  I also managed to find the extra health bar just before the end.

I believe I opened the door after a long jump one screen to the left of it, but I died coming back.  Ugh.  Need another break :)

End of Level 2.jpg

Extra Health!.jpg

• Like 2

If I'm stating the obvious, then please ignore me, but the game doesn't end after you die.  If you die, pressing the action button sends you back to the beginning of the level you're currently on.  The overall objective is to rescue the princess within the 60 minute time limit.  I see a lot of folks saying they got to a certain point, died and them it seems like they stopped playing.

Or are we playing to see how far we get in 1 life?  I just want to make sure I'm playing the same way everyone else is.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Deteacher said:

If I'm stating the obvious, then please ignore me, but the game doesn't end after you die.  If you die, pressing the action button sends you back to the beginning of the level you're currently on.  The overall objective is to rescue the princess within the 60 minute time limit.  I see a lot of folks saying they got to a certain point, died and them it seems like they stopped playing.

Or are we playing to see how far we get in 1 life?  I just want to make sure I'm playing the same way everyone else is.

I am playing until I've had enough for that session and then saying "this is as far as I got" :)

Of note:  if you don't restart fast enough the game starts back on Level 1.

I did *finally* get to level 3.  That last jump back vexed me for so long, as I kept trying to running jump it (since that's how I got over there).  But I realized I can standing jump back - what a relief.

Whomever said Level 3 is hard wasn't lying.  I found the pressure plate but haven't made it all the way over to the gate that is dropping yet.  I've had enough for at least a little while :)

Level 3.jpg

• Like 3

Yes play for level reached...

[pal crt screenshot - looks lov-er-ly]

Photo3743.thumb.jpg.cfcc3f5cfd9fa4d3960998d507815f58.jpg

so far I'm at the end of level 2 (repeatedly) but I cannot make the big jump to the floor panel on the left, this is really the crux of the game as it seems to be a case of leggit and push up diagonal and hope you are in the correct place, as you fall to your death each time it's a bit frustrating.  Smaller jumps you can walk to and then jump - noticed [space] also jumps for those with a tricky diagonal. Otherwise an excellent game, really atmospheric, skillful and interesting :thumbsup:

Am I missing something or is there a trick to the big leaps?

• Like 2

16 hours ago, therealbountybob said:

Am I missing something or is there a trick to the big leaps?

Definitely make sure you are holding the button when you do leap - if you're close enough you'll grab the ledge.

There's a big jump earlier in level 2, and I just found a spot on the ground I look at and jump from, and never miss.  I've done the same for that last big jump to the left.  BUT, know that you can't do a running jump on the way back, you have to get close to the edge and leap (holding button!)

Since you can't run jump right afterwards I've wondered if you can stand jump left too but I'm not sure.  I just had a bit of a go but I let that last guy beat me just before I got to the jump so I couldn't test it.  I will though.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, carlsson said:

It's just a jump to the left
And then a step to the right
With your hands on your hips
You bring your knees in tight
But it's the pelvic thrust
That really drives you insane

Err... perhaps not the right context?

More appropriate last weekend :)

• Like 1

I'm not sure I'll ever be able to beat level 3 at this rate.  I know what I have to do, but damn I can't see how I'm going to get all the way over to that gate before it closes.

BTW:  I confirmed that that last jump at the end of level 2 can be made standing.  Use the botton to get yourself all the way to the left that you can, and jump while holding it.  You'll grab the other ledge and have to pull yourself up.  Then do the same on the way back.

I can clear the first two levels in like 4 mins very consistently now, but I'm not sure what I'm going to do about it.  I did manage to find a health bonus on level 3 while I was looking to see if there was another way around on level 3.

Health Bonus Level 3.jpg

• Like 2

I'm having issues with the movement in this game. 

Moving with the button held down is supposed to make you step slowly right? Seems that it doesn't always work, on my set up at least. I press the trigger and then move, and it seems like it's 50/50 whether I walk or run. I guess it must be something wrong with my set up. I don't usually use Altirra, so perhaps there's a setting I don't know about 

3 minutes ago, McKong said:

I'm having issues with the movement in this game. 

Moving with the button held down is supposed to make you step slowly right? Seems that it doesn't always work, on my set up at least. I press the trigger and then move, and it seems like it's 50/50 whether I walk or run. I guess it must be something wrong with my set up. I don't usually use Altirra, so perhaps there's a setting I don't know about 

It has to be your setup - I'm playing on real hardware and the button has never failed to act appropriately.  

From what I experience, you must first press fire button (e.g. Numpad 0 if you have the default config) and then push in either direction to walk slowly. You can not move in one direction and then suddenly push fire in order to crouch slowly. Whether this is particularly obvious on emulation, I'm not sure.