IGNORED

HSC18 Round 18: PRINCE OF PERSIA + SEASON CATCH-UP

13 minutes ago, carlsson said:

From what I experience, you must first press fire button (e.g. Numpad 0 if you have the default config) and then push in either direction to walk slowly. You can not move in one direction and then suddenly push fire in order to crouch slowly. Whether this is particularly obvious on emulation, I'm not sure.

Yeah it doesn't like something about my joystick. I can hold the trigger and take one step, but then the next movement (with the trigger still held down) would be a run, or vice versa. Anyway I'll play with my Mega drive controller instead. Sort of getting the hang of it a bit. Made it to the skeleton on the 3rd level 

1 hour ago, McKong said:

Yeah it doesn't like something about my joystick. I can hold the trigger and take one step, but then the next movement (with the trigger still held down) would be a run, or vice versa. Anyway I'll play with my Mega drive controller instead. Sort of getting the hang of it a bit. Made it to the skeleton on the 3rd level 

I'm going to have to try a Genesis controller then because I can't see how I will ever make that long run/jump at present.

Level 4!

The Genesis controller wasn't helpful, but I *did* finally make that jump.  So happy there's essentially a save point after that as I died on the skeleton the first time we fought (but after he fell down the first ledge)

Made it a reasonable amount of the way through level 4 (got the powerup) but after about ~30min of playing I'd had enough.  I can blow through the first 2 levels in 5 mins or less.  I'm wondering if I'll get through level 3 quicker now but we'll see.

Level 4.jpg

• Like 2

On 11/9/2021 at 12:49 PM, 8BIT 1337 said:

Definitely make sure you are holding the button when you do leap - if you're close enough you'll grab the ledge.

There's a big jump earlier in level 2, and I just found a spot on the ground I look at and jump from, and never miss.  I've done the same for that last big jump to the left.  BUT, know that you can't do a running jump on the way back, you have to get close to the edge and leap (holding button!)

Since you can't run jump right afterwards I've wondered if you can stand jump left too but I'm not sure.  I just had a bit of a go but I let that last guy beat me just before I got to the jump so I couldn't test it.  I will though.

It really was that simple, pace up to the edge, keep button in jump across, climb up, sort of less skillful than the run and jump. ok level 3 now but playing on emulation as away from Atari for most of the rest of the round. Will play the game more :thumbsup:

This round is longer than usual;  ideas for next poll welcome ;)

POPScreenshot.png.fe0b1e6bfdc6653873391c9e792bc05b.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, therealbountybob said:

It really was that simple, pace up to the edge, keep button in jump across, climb up, sort of less skillful than the run and jump. ok level 3 now but playing on emulation as away from Atari for most of the rest of the round. Will play the game more :thumbsup:

POPScreenshot.png.fe0b1e6bfdc6653873391c9e792bc05b.png

Games suggested by McKong ?

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, McKong said:

Games suggested by McKong ?

I had a look at your latest list of game suggestions and focused on the lesser known ones that yet haven't been played in the HSC. It would yield four interesting candidates:

Blinky's Scary School (7.6 on AtariMania)

Lone Raider (7.4)

Skool Daze (9.5, recent port)

Great Escape (7.0, recent port)

I don't think we need more than four choices in a poll to get more distinctive results.

Edited by carlsson
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, therealbountybob said:

I love Synapse games - something from them would be fun.

Or Broderbund.  Lode Runner is one I love playing.

Do we avoid Activision games because they're watching or something?  I'd love to play an Activision game too, and I've got legit copies of River Raid and Pitfall II :)

Activision.jpg

• Like 2

4 hours ago, carlsson said:

I had a look at your latest list of game suggestions and focused on the lesser known ones that yet haven't been played in the HSC. It would yield four interesting candidates:

Blinky's Scary School (7.6 on AtariMania)

Lone Raider (7.4)

Skool Daze (9.5, recent port)

Great Escape (7.0, recent port)

I don't think we need more than four choices in a poll to get more distinctive results.

The only one I've played is Lone Raider, which is a great game. We have played it before in HSC, but not recently

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tompateus said:

Thank's to carlsson, i can now play these games that i did't have on my sd card. ☺

Pheonix lair: 4250 pts. (hate this game)

Space mines: 27100 pts.

:thumbsup:

There will be additional catch-up points for good performances, i'll try and come up with something fair at the end of the round ;-)

• Like 1