IGNORED

Season 12 ~ Week 1 ~ Space Invaders

Vocelli

Does anybody know what the difficulty switches are by default on the Blaze Atari Retro Handheld? It is probably an academic question, as the shots spend more time invisible than visible, making a high score next to impossible, but I was going to give it the old college try anyhow.

EDIT: if the A settings are easier than the B settings, I don’t stand a chance. This is twenty minutes of trying.

F123D682-5C75-4654-9C11-2EB0F5ED8B05.thumb.jpeg.3eb7e9869519d92327184a12510be40a.jpeg

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, jgkspsx said:

Does anybody know what the difficulty switches are by default on the Blaze Atari Retro Handheld? It is probably an academic question, as the shots spend more time invisible than visible, making a high score next to impossible, but I was going to give it the old college try anyhow.

EDIT: if the A settings are easier than the B settings, I don’t stand a chance. This is twenty minutes of trying.

F123D682-5C75-4654-9C11-2EB0F5ED8B05.thumb.jpeg.3eb7e9869519d92327184a12510be40a.jpeg

Don’t know what the default values are, but A setting causes your character to be double width. From your above image, your current setting is B.

(I assume the player-2 difficulty switch only controls player 2’s width at all times, even during one player only game settings)

• Thanks 1

Getting on the board with 1745.  Playing the game 6 variation makes me realize I almost always played the easiest variant of pretty much every game I had growing up ?  Colecovision Game 1, Atari, Intv, etc.  Guess I just liked trying to get as high of a score as I could.

SpaceInvaders.jpg

• Like 3

On 11/8/2021 at 2:01 PM, G-type said:

2014921808_ScreenShot2021-11-08at3_00_08PM.thumb.png.58dd7b52e9cbb7644f4c4f60b6581bd7.png

finally broke 2k!

be honest, how many times have you reset because you died in the first 5 seconds?

At least 50 times XD I tried again for another hour tonight but only managed to break 2K once. All these 3K+ high roller scores are just bonkers to me! I wonder if there is some kinda pattern to the enemies' fire that can be memorized, cause random close range death shots that happen too fast to react to feel inevitable a lot of the time. ?

Whelp, I think I finally figured out the secret to getting crazy high scores in this one! As soon as the round starts take out the two leftmost vertical columns of invaders to give yourself plenty of room to hit the command ship when it appears at the top of the screen, then focus all your attention on shooting the command ship every time one appears. There's two of them per round and they're worth 200 points each, making up 400 of the 1,030 points available per round. Hitting all the command ships is definitely where it's at if you're trying to score big :)

Space Invaders (Game 6, B/B Difficulty): 4,130

IMG_20211110_001523.thumb.jpg.2c28baed474e41fdd61298de6580792b.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Skippy B. Coyote said:

Whelp, I think I finally figured out the secret to getting crazy high scores in this one! As soon as the round starts take out the two leftmost vertical columns of invaders to give yourself plenty of room to hit the command ship when it appears at the top of the screen, then focus all your attention on shooting the command ship every time one appears. There's two of them per round and they're worth 200 points each, making up 400 of the 1,030 points available per round. Hitting all the command ships is definitely where it's at if you're trying to score big :)

This is the key.  You need to score the points early with this game variation since once you get to the 4th or 5th board, it's near impossible to make it across the entire screen to take out the bottom row before they land.

You can get more than two command ships per round.  I typically score 1430 in the first round.  I occasionally have a first round score of 1630 and once managed a score of 1830.

Command ships appear about 15 seconds after the start of the round, after losing a life, or after the previous command ship left the screen (either by being destroyed or by making it safely all the way across).  You can get more command ships per round by not taking out too many invaders early, keeping their descent at the slowest speed possible.  They first speed up after you've taken out 15 invaders.  You can also get more command ships by taking them out quickly, resetting the 15-second timer sooner.  I think there is a point (perhaps when there are 4 or fewer invaders) that they stop showing up.  At least I don't ever recall seeing a command ship show up when I'm frantically trying to take out the last few fast-moving invaders.

• Like 2

The Command Ship will keep coming out as long as there are 7 or more invaders on the screen.  Once you cut them down to 6, the command ship will not appear until the next board.

6,290!  The board where they start at their lowest is starting to get easier.  I'm going for rollage.  The trick is to wait for a half a second or so before strafing across the screen.  When you start the run, take out the first 2 invaders of each column, starting with the 2nd column.  Once you've done that, go all the way back to the first column and nab those two.  You have enough time to do it before they drop a level.

Space Invaders (1980) (Atari)_2.png

• Like 5

On 11/4/2021 at 8:04 AM, Vocelli said:

Took a season off and you do not have a Season 11 Final End of Season Rank… Post a score on  Space Invaders:

Get 10 bonus points!

If I've taken the last 15 seasons off do I get 150 bonus points? 

Haha, anyways, just happened to notice a new season started so count me in this year  ? 

Game 6 B/B (which by the way is much harder than any Space Invaders I'm used to lol) 

20211110_185232.thumb.jpg.9e13ca0ee035fde90c8c87579f133014.jpg

2180 points

I think I can do better..Figured I'd post now just in case I forget the deadline! Don't want to miss out on those sweet sweet bonus points :) 

• Like 3