IGNORED

It's Just A Flesh Wound

BydoEmpire

No idea how this happened.  I went to play a game last night and saw a big, gaping hole in my 7800. It seems like something fell on it, but there was nothing around it.

The reset button broke off as well, although you can stick your finger in and press it.  Seems to be fully functional but kind of disappointing. This was the 7800 I bought back in the late 80s or early 90s and has served me well over many years.  I'd like to just glue the broken pieces back on, but I want to make sure I can still hit reset.  Maybe time to search for a backup. 

IMG_5807.thumb.jpg.74ffb74bbc6276efcd13f0d73b010b2a.jpg

On the plus side, at least it still works so not the worst thing in the grand scheme.

• Sad 7

2 hours ago, BydoEmpire said:

No idea how this happened.  I went to play a game last night and saw a big, gaping hole in my 7800. It seems like something fell on it, but there was nothing around it.

Seriously.. sorry it happened. That sucks. 

Ebay typically has a couple 'parts only' consoles up for grabs which could provide a nice top shell replacement..

and in case Satan should strike again.

• Haha 5

I thought one of my cats might have knocked the speaker off of the TV, or knocked something off of the shelf, but there was nothing around (plus a few months ago I velcro'd the speaker to the top of the TV to prevent just such an accident).  No idea, but it seems likely it was something like that. Maybe something got knocked onto it and my wife cleaned up whatever had fallen.  Who knows?

[edit] It probably was Satan, I hadn't thought of that before!  God wants me to buy another 7800... at least, that's what I'll tell my wife ;) 

Edited by BydoEmpire
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Trebor said:

Definitely an "Omen".  Time to purchase another 7800! :D

just bought two homebrews (Frenzy & Super Pac Man) and they arrived a few days ago.  I think it would be quite irresponsible of me to not get another 7800. Those carts might be sad if something goes wrong.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Well, yes. I do know plenty of videos that show how to make car parts, but they can be applied to replacement Atari 7800 shells. The process involves preparing the surface to make sure that the mold doesn't stick; laying the fiberglass and roll resin; letting said mold dry and cure; then preparing said mold; laying down carbon fiber sheets for infusion; following that with the breather cloth, hoses, vacuum bags, and the putty tape; making sure that the bag, hoses, and tape aren't going to leak; infuse the carbon fiber with resin; wait for it to harden, cure, and degas; remove the shell from the mold; make needed cuts; sand it down; drill the necessary holes to use for the threading tap; and prime it for paint. What I have just said isn't the most exciting process, but it was the most concise explanation.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Due to my impatience (I actually did this a few days after the accident), and the sloppy Gorilla Glue job that resulted from it, my 7800 is now dubbed "Frankenstein."  Fully functional, but the seems are a bit... ghastly.  I would have been better served by taking the case apart and gluing it properly from the inside, but I'm more of a function over form type of guy anyways.  I always improv...

IMG_6347.thumb.jpeg.4849ccc74f0c8f449a21a0bd11eaee72.jpeg

Edited by BydoEmpire
  • Sad 1