IGNORED

Keystone Koppers [Done]

Muddyfunster

Thanks Steve :) 

I am really pleased with Koppers and I'm glad folks like it.

I would also reiterate what I said on the stream, without the input and hours of testing from you, @-^CrossBow^- and @Trebor it wouldn't be half as polished as it is.

That's without the wonderful box art from @Atariboy2600 and work by Tony and @Albert on the final materials, manual and box, and fantastic tunes from @Synthpopalooza. You guys all absolutely rock!

Thanks @ZeroPage Homebrew for inviting me on and giving me the chance to talk about the game :) 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/30/2022 at 12:37 AM, Albert said:

If you're not able to attend the show, Keystone Koppers will be available in the AtariAge Store in early November!

Hello there!

Just checking in on this release, since it looks fantastic.  I assume the release is pushed back a little bit?

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Propane13 said:

Hello there!

Just checking in on this release, since it looks fantastic.  I assume the release is pushed back a little bit?

Thanks!

I think the plan is to have them in the store in the very near future. I'm sure @Albert will update on the release schedule soon for all of the new releases hitting the store.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

I've recompiled the "final" cart build into a new demo that will work with Concerto with all the POKEY tunes working fine.

This demo has a couple of bugfixes over the previous RC demos.

edit - this version should be used only with Concerto as it has the amended header. Content wise (other than a couple of rare bugs being fixed, it's identical to the RC4).

Big thanks to everyone that supported this project :)

Keystone_Koppers_Dec22_demo.a78

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, xeex said:

I can't get the music working on MiSTer's 7800 core for this demo version. Sound effects work. And music works on the RC4 demo. Is there a setting I'm missing?

Nope, no settings missing. It seems the latest demo version only has POKEY sound on the Concerto. Content wise this is identical to the RC4 version.

I suggest using the RC4 version for Dragonfly and MiSTer users.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, xeex said:

I can't get the music working on MiSTer's 7800 core for this demo version. Sound effects work. And music works on the RC4 demo. Is there a setting I'm missing?

Here is the latest version for everything but Concerto:

Keystone Koppers (Demo Dec 22) (20221222).a78

For the Concerto only:

Keystone Koppers (Demo Dec 22) (Concerto Fix) (20221222).a78

Spoiler

For all interested parties, here are the distinctions for both files to ensure fully compatibility during development and releases - the *.bin file is exactly the same for both:

Utilizing the latest 7800basic release (0.21 as of this post), and ensure leveraging pokeysound.asm from it.

If a previously release of 7800basic is being utilized, nothing older than the proper pokeysound.asm for 7800basic 0.20.

Instead of "set pokeysupport on", utilizing "set pokeysupport $450" when coding.

Performing the above will work across all devices equally and still ensures full compatibility.

If the above is applied, then the file difference between Concerto and all other devices currently is pokey@450 is stripped from the *.a78 header only.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

I've been waiting for the release of Keystone Koppers for some time. I just happily purchased it. 😀 

I don't know what would be involved, but I'd also love to see this made available for the Atari VCS as well. With 18 new releases planned for it this year why not make it one more? 😉

Edited by Aragorn7
  • Like 1

On 11/6/2021 at 6:14 AM, Muddyfunster said:

Keystone Koppers

Latest DEMO is here (dec22)

Keystone Koppers is my take on a port of the classic 2600/5200 game by Garry Kitchen. Keystone Kapers is one of my all time favourite Atari 2600 games!

This adaptation for the 7800 is based on the 2600, 5200 and C64 versions and takes elements from all three versions.  It's the first proper port I've attempted and I hope folks enjoy giving it a test run :)

Objective

Hoodlum Harry & his gang of krooks have broken out of jail and are looting Southwick's Emporium. Your job is to avoid the boobytraps and obstacles and apprehend the fleeing felons!

There are additional on-ROM instructions accessible from the title page. 

Controls

Left & Right - move left and right.

Up - enter the elevator.

Down - Duck or leave the elevator.

Fire - Jump.

On the title screen 

Up + Down to select level (1-12).

Left & Right (or SELECT) - flips the music mode between A & B & Off.

Fire 1 - Start game.

Fire 2 - Instructions.

Scoring 

Catching the krook awards 1,000 points + a bonus based on your remaining time X your merit bonus.

Points are also scored for collecting bags of money and cases of gold and jewels.

Extra lives are awarded every 10,000 points, to a maximum of 5

Hitting an obstacle costs 9 seconds.

hitting a bi-plane costs 1 life.

Demo

Keystone Kapers is a 128k + 16k RAM NTSC only binary. (Sorry PAL owners, a PAL version will follow).

The latest RC4 demo allows play upto and including level 12. 

Latest RC4 DEMO is here

The demo supports POKEY for music and SaveKey/Atari Vox / HSC for hiscore saving.

Keystone Kapers is Kouch Kompliant!

I would very much appreciate any feedback or comments (or bug reports!) :) I hope you folks enjoy the demo!

Credits

I want to say a big thanks to @Synthpopalooza for two fantastic POKEY tunes and also to @mksmith for helping get them into the POKEY player. Thanks chaps!

Thanks to @ZeroPage Homebrew for showing the demo on the stream, and Tanya for her BOSS playthrough.

Last but by no means least, @-^CrossBow^- @sramirez2008 @Trebor . These guys murder and torture every major build to hunt out and identify quirks, glitches and bugs and provide invaluable feedback, suggestions and bug reports.

0001.thumb.png.3196333838934a4b2204ff0da37776aa.png0002.thumb.png.7ee129c716609d771dd769b02208f1f2.png

0010.thumb.png.2a3603c7b8e4e18a8d18d2e86dba4ff9.png0009.thumb.png.5cf9cff0a3ec033b8fb14fd33828eabd.png

0013.thumb.png.b2e7129ebb8393a3499bb6a64967913a.png0011.thumb.png.622291bfaecc28c4d48788d9466e386c.png

0008.thumb.png.aff04f2fb606b95319fd15292aa3db28.png0014.thumb.png.8ba5a3e9e8859a603c376422fb5a2c10.png

Updates

Final Demo (Dec 22) Latest DEMO is here (dec22)
Version 1b : some additional palette adjustments and a bug fix for the missing footstep sound.

Release Candidate 4. Significant bug fixes, updated and gameplay balancing.

Keystone_Kapers_demo_1b_CONCERTO.a78 128.13 kB · 398 downloads

Keystone_Kapers_demo_1b.a78 128.13 kB · 991 downloads

Keystone_Kapers_demo_1b_BUP.a78 128.13 kB · 159 downloads

I wanted it to stay being called Keystone Kapers. I guess Activision didn't want that ~_~

Edited by Johny_lovin_it
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, 7800Knight said:

I take it that if the crook makes it to the top right corner of the building, he escapes just like in the original game.

So where does he go from there?

The timer alone prevents this from ever being a possibility. I played this game quite a lot in testing and the crook never made it to the top right that I can recall because again, time would run out before then.

To clarify, when the robber gets to here...

image.thumb.png.3851607eafe2be77376b938c9955b11c.png

...then the timer will have usually reached "0".

If you hit something on the way and lose time, then the robber won't get as far.

8 hours ago, 7800Knight said:

I take it that if the crook makes it to the top right corner of the building, he escapes just like in the original game.

So where does he go from there?

Correct :) 

Where does he go? Who knows? Maybe he meets up with his Krook friends for root beers at the Krook Klub.

(In early builds he would keep running and end up all over the place).

Edited by Muddyfunster
updates.

Keystone Koppers has been nominated for Best Homebrew Port in the 5th Annual Homebrew Awards! 

Big thankyou to the nomination committee for considering Koppers and to everyone who helped to bring the project through to a release. (Special thanks to : @Trebor  @sramirez2008 @-^CrossBow^- @Synthpopalooza )

Don't forget to check out all the other great games across all of the categories and get your vote in! https://forums.atariage.com/forum/203-atari-homebrew-awards/

1101995334_5thAnnualAtariHomebrewAwards(2022)-Atari7800BestHomebrew(Port).thumb.jpg.0192457316fce9d10630a3fabad3b7fd.jpg

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Have an detail need to be modified in that game.

Is an much long time waiting elevators to move between floors.

A2600 versions are few seconds for the elevator move between floors.

That detail not is good for the game.

Edited by Aug
  • Like 1

On 3/5/2023 at 6:12 AM, Aug said:

Have an detail need to be modified in that game.

Is an much long time waiting elevators to move between floors.

A2600 versions are few seconds for the elevator move between floors.

That detail not is good for the game.

The speed in which the elevator moves among the floors was an intentional design choice to be slower than the 2600 version.  A slower moving elevator prevents often camping in front of the elevator and avoiding a considerable number of obstacles to capture the 'krook'.  Due to a stronger likelihood of running out of time, it forces the player to take up the challenge more often to tackle obstacles in pursuit of the goal.

Whether this details is better or worse than the 2600 version is dependent on whether you find more enjoyment camping out waiting for the elevator, avoiding and passing obstacles less, or rather more in-game action and challenge of avoiding and passing the obstacles presented.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1