IGNORED

What are the CONSUMER benefits of this NFT stuff, regarding gaming?

Razzie.P

EA is calling NFT the future of gaming.  Ubisoft and Epic are on board.  Intellivision seems to be all in.   

I’ve been reading articles and interviews ‘n such –  The companies seem all giddy about it, and I can see dozens of reasons why they’d like it, but for the life of me, I can’t see anything that’s explaining how it’s a benefit to us, the consumer.   And my imagination seems to have some blockage and I can’t come up with any sort of positive speculation on my own.   

I figure there has to be something, right?  Something that’s gonna be touted as “you’re gonna love this because….?”    Something other than “you hate micro transactions?  Well they’re called NFT now, so they’re cool, right?”

So whatcha think?  What are some pro-consumer benefits to game companies embracing NFT that could help make it a "change for the better?"

"Play-to-earn" games often require players pay an up-front cost through cryptocurrency to play the game and collect unique, in-game items. Those items can then increase in value and be sold to other players. Those items can then increase in value and be sold to other players.

That sounds so much fun and is totally not a sham/pyramid scheme ?

The future is retro.

• Haha 2

20 hours ago, youxia said:

"Play-to-earn" games often require players pay an up-front cost through cryptocurrency to play the game and collect unique, in-game items. Those items can then increase in value and be sold to other players. Those items can then increase in value and be sold to other players.

So NFTs can create a digital marketplace that will allow us to trade in our used digital games,  right?    (crickets)

• Haha 2

• 1 month later...

It'll be a bigger push to lure people into micro transactions, and we all know how much gamers love those.

Supposedly it will not be part of upcoming Stalker2 because the devs listened to the fans: https://www.theverge.com/2021/12/16/22840488/stalker-2-nft-metahuman-gsc-web3-canceled

but I can imagine its only a matter of time before they will be an integral part of all the games that are already dealing with micro-transactions.. suddenly that micro-transaction isn't so worthless anymore if there is a potential growth in value of the object that is unique to your purchase. This wasn't so much the case before NFT.

I truly despise this kind of development..

• Like 2

On 11/8/2021 at 9:14 AM, zzip said:

So NFTs can create a digital marketplace that will allow us to trade in our used digital games, right?    (crickets)

Certainly possible. Could even be cool in a way. Do the publishers want that? Absolutely not!

5 hours ago, Ninjabba said:

It'll be a bigger push to lure people into micro transactions, and we all know how much gamers love those.

Do they dislike microtransactions enough to avoid playing those games? I don't think so.

Supposedly it will not be part of upcoming Stalker2 because the devs listened to the fans: https://www.theverge.com/2021/12/16/22840488/stalker-2-nft-metahuman-gsc-web3-canceled

Well that's a win 2bshur.

but I can imagine its only a matter of time before they will be an integral part of all the games that are already dealing with micro-transactions.. suddenly that micro-transaction isn't so worthless anymore if there is a potential growth in value of the object that is unique to your purchase. This wasn't so much the case before NFT.

Shit! If I ever sell my original Doom floppies I could include all the levels I collected. Trouble-free, no internet connection, account, password, user-name, or code needed. It'll just work straight out of the shipping box!

I truly despise this kind of development..

I believe many do. Along with other unnecessary trends.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Ninjabba said:

Remember the mocking around this $3,00 DLC?

Fast forward to 2021 where people buy this digital thing for $7.500.000,00 because it comes with an immutable receipt:
punk3100.png

Good to be a huckster... err I mean the seller of these trendy things.  As a consumer, it's nothing to get excited over.

But... do whatever you like.  I'll be staying out of it.  lol

• 4 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, Keatah said:

Respectfully disagree. Because for it to be another attempt at DRM, that would imply there is a motivating force behind it. Instead I see all sorts disparate dumb stuff going on. All sorts of background noise in playground full of shallow emotionally unsatisfied individuals.

It goes a step further than DRM in that it creates actual scarcity in digital goods,  something we hadn't really seen before.   With DRM there was always the possibility that it could be cracked and then the thing could be copied freely.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, zzip said:

It goes a step further than DRM in that it creates actual scarcity in digital goods,  something we hadn't really seen before.   With DRM there was always the possibility that it could be cracked and then the thing could be copied freely.

It only creates illusion of scarcity.  It's still an unlimited resource, just access to it is being controlled.

If we as a society invented replicators, we would stick a guard at the replicator to make sure people still had to pay the same price for a steak just so that rich people can keep feeling like they get to eat better than poor people.  Just because you can't get past some asshole with a gun it doesn't mean there isn't still unlimited steak in there.

It's just an extension of what DRM and copyright in general do.  As far as I can tell from some quick googling nft's don't seem to be any more "uncrackable" than other DRM but whether it gets cracked or not doesn't change it's purpose and nature.  It's something you add to software (in the most general sense) to break it for profit control access to it.

As to why it seems like it has no motivating force, that's just because adding DRM used to take some actual effort on a case by case basis, so companies / people needed to have an actual reason for it.  Now they are just throwing shit at the wall to see what sticks

• Like 1

In speaking of software.. I was going through my old selections and "discovered" that the better built, longest lasting, most complete, most versatile software is the material without DRM. I'm able to count on it when I need it. Without byzantine frustrations.

1 hour ago, zzip said:

It goes a step further than DRM in that it creates actual scarcity in digital goods,  something we hadn't really seen before.

Is that something society really needs? Isn't that adding more to the house of cards technology already is? There's always something to be said for simplicity.

And besides, I bet, 95% of that artist garbage NFT stuff is way out of my range. Shit.. I don't even KNOW where to look!

• Like 1

This article has some interesting insights about the web3/NFT prospects: https://moxie.org/2022/01/07/web3-first-impressions.html

One important take-away from the article that everybody seems to brush over:

I also wanted to create a more traditional NFT. Most people think of images and digital art when they think of NFTs, but NFTs generally do not store that data on-chain. For most NFTs of most images, that would be much too expensive.

Instead of storing the data on-chain, NFTs instead contain a URL that points to the data.

Initially I also was under the assumption that the image data was stored on the blockchain, since that is what pretty much everybody keeps saying, however the tech is even more bleak than I thought.

Also, browsing for 5 minutes on OpenSea makes me feel nauseous.. its like all concepts of art thrown into a blender from a fever dream.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

On 1/19/2022 at 3:22 PM, zzip said:

goes a step further than DRM in that it creates actual scarcity in digital goods, 

Bungie was doing this with Destiny going back to 2014. Digital codes for name banners. And only so many codes to give out. 

• 2 months later...

When thinking about Crypto and NFT, do you honestly have room in your life for that? This is all stuff created by the internet to create stuff in your head. There's no physical barter of valuable goods here.

It's like Hackatao's Queens+Kings & OpenSea. Is there any real life benefit to it all other than to pull you into rabbit hole? They put a a few prophetic-sounding words on a web page and you give them money, yet get nothing. I'm confused!

Edited by Keatah
  • Like 1

On 3/29/2022 at 8:22 AM, Keatah said:

When thinking about Crypto and NFT, do you honestly have room in your life for that? This is all stuff created by the internet to create stuff in your head. There's no physical barter of valuable goods here.

I'd say give it a moment to think about such that you can tell the rest of the world to reject the entire idea :D I'm pretty disgusted how slowly NFTs are becoming part of the eco system, be it purely web-based or game assets.. I think it should not exist at all. The tech behind it is a sad excuse.

The skin market for CS:GO is a good example how it should be done.. its been around for a while, it has all the speculation a financial guy can possibly need, so apparently people want to spend a 100 dollars on some skin for a knife, good on them.

What it doesn't need is this currency called Ethereum or GPU server farms, which has been linked to GPU shortages, to keep the market place up and running.

And if my ranting doesn't sound convincing, then there are these daily headlines which really makes me wonder why I even bother explaining the issue:

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2022/03/how-did-a-hacker-steal-over-600-million-from-a-crypto-gaming-blockchain/

Someone stealing $600 million over a stupid hack, again breaking all records of previous hacks. The amount of fail in the crypto world is so mind-boggling to me that I am honestly surprised people keep pouring money into it.

Edited by Ninjabba
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...