IGNORED

Robots Rumble [DONE]

mksmith

3 minutes ago, desiv said:

Just to let you know what I am seeing on my CC2, I took the .a78 file and stripped the header and it worked with the 128k 16k Pokey mapper I tried.  (Not sure if the game has Pokey sounds, but it was the same mapper that I used on another game and I just copy/pasted the line and changed the rom file name for my first attempt.)

As for the game, that's a fun game.  Great concept.  And those colors?  Definitely Spectrum...  ;-)  

Thanks for testing it out!  Yeah the current build does have a pokey tune playing during the game - it's located at @450 rather than @4000 but I think the CC doesn't play pokey at that address.  Yeah the original is a Speccy game but I first saw the c64/vic conversion.  It's probably most closest to the Vic version due to the screen resolution.

I'm just testing having the font loaded into the same bank as the title and instructions. It has make a significant difference (on my Concerto cart) to the character bit cycling but not fully fixed it. I've tried a few other builds of games using this cart format including Millie & Molly, Arkanoid, Keystone Kapers and a couple of other things I have created which still do have minor cycling for me so it must be an inherit thing currently.  

It's going to take a couple of hours of juggling to include various fonts across the banks but as it's makes a difference happy to configure it up for the next build.

6 minutes ago, mksmith said:

Thanks for testing it out!  Yeah the current build does have a pokey tune playing during the game - it's located at @450 rather than @4000 but I think the CC doesn't play pokey at that address. 

As my memory isn't great anymore, even for something I just did a couple of hours before ;-), I got up and went to look up what banking file I used.

128R16PK.BNK      0x46            128K Supergame, 16K RAM $4000-$7FFF, POKEY at $0450

And there was music playing, so the Pokey worked!

• Like 2

The DF cart will only work with .A78 ROMs that contain the header information. That is how it knows what cartridge type to emulate. But... now that you say that, I could try something...

Nope...same thing.

I copied the header info from another game in development that is similar to try and get the same results. So the header information is correct and it is something else within the game code.

What I could do since I have it, is to try and load it up on my Mateos cart as it is small enough to fit on it and should be supported.

Hi all,

A new release is available in the first post:

• Re-arranged the fonts and tiles to no longer be located in the 16K Ram area
  • Initialised all of the 16K ram ($4000-$7fff) and adjusted the memory allocations 
  • Removed the read references to palette registers
  • Updated the DL ram for extra memory

Thanks for the feedback and testing - hopefully this one will work a little better.  I'll have a look at the controllers for the next release along with some new tunes coming from Synthpopalooza.

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Pat Brady said:

Another possibility: push the left button to switch to the left magnet, and the right button to switch to the right magnet (both latching).

I'd say have the buttons control up/down only for the right magnet and leave the joystick for the left.  Might be awkward but it does give independent control to both sides.  Nice work on the port @mksmith and the usual suspects!

• Thanks 1

And the latest is still working on the CC2...

As for the control scheme, it is interesting...

I still sometimes get mixed up moving the right magnet with the current scheme, but I am thinking I would get the hang of it if I played more.  So I'm OK with it the way it is.

But the thought of using the joypad (I'm using the Eurocontroller) for up/down on the left and the buttons for up/down on the right sounds like it might work really well with a pad...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, gambler172 said:

a nice game,but changing between the magnets is horroble.

It was a tricky one as the game is really designed for keyboard.  The control support on the c64/vic version was up/down for left and right/left for the right which was felt really bad.  We tried a few variations such as using left/right  or fire to change focus then up/down to move the focused magnet but we found the current one to be the quickest.

I'll will try adding some of the suggestions and see if that helps some players.

image.png.1c28b2f70245e2cc98eb659d74e98162.png

Select "One joystick" for the option of holding a button down to control the right magnet and release the button to control the left magnet

Fans of using a single button joystick, I.E. CX40, can do so without issue, though works with dual independent 2-button controllers too.

image.png.a5aaa0e308bb21cf41bbfe6e0481f167.png

Otherwise, select "Two joysticks" and Player 1 controller moves the left magnet while Player 2 controller moves the right magnet.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Cousin Vinnie said:

I cant past the first board. How many levels are included in the game?

The game consists of 4 planets each containing 6 levels.  

Level number decreases as the robot descends each screen.

There are 28 screens, as the first 'entry' screen for a planet is labeled LVL6, and the last screen (board) with the lava pit is labeled LVL0.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, BydoEmpire said:

What a cool game!  It's challenging, but that's not a bad thing.  I like the music, too.

Yeah it s fun challenge for sure.  Synthpopalooza has some more music coming soon which sounds fantastic!

• Like 7

On 11/13/2021 at 10:45 AM, Pat Brady said:

In one-joystick mode, both buttons switch control to the right magnet, but only while the button is depressed (momentary). It feels very asymmetric to me.

IMO it would feel more natural to latch, so that when a button is pressed it switches to the other magnet until the button is pressed again.

Since 7800 controllers have two buttons, you could make one latching and the other momentary.

EDIT: very nice conversion otherwise.

Hi Pat - I've implemented this suggestion in the next build so let me know you thoughts (once it goes up shortly).

• Like 1

On 11/9/2021 at 9:14 PM, AtariBrian said:

I bet people would like at least a cart or cart/manual of it, I know I would want one. I would never speak for Al but perhaps he would love to add a game like this to his 7800 library. ☺️

mksmith you could allow Albert to make us carts, like he will for any game, and I'm sure a

artist will post a label here.

• Like 1

Hi all,

A new update is available in the first post with the following changes:

• Added a second in-game tune which plays alternate levels (thanks @Synthpopalooza)
  • Update the controller for the One Joystick option - button 1 will temporarily switch magnets (whilst held down) and button 2 will now alternatively switch (latch) to the other magnet (thanks @Pat Brady)
  • Optimised the explosion routine to better handle the 8 sprites
  • Added a proper game over state for future use
  • Minor clean-ups
  • Like 7

On 11/15/2021 at 11:28 PM, Cousin Vinnie said:

I cant past the first board. How many levels are included in the game?

Sorry @Cousin Vinnie missed you post from earlier this week.  There are 4 planets (levels) each containing 6 screens.

2 hours ago, Yurkie said:

mksmith you could allow Albert to make us carts, like he will for any game, and I'm sure a

artist will post a label here.

I'm not sure this one is really worthy of a full cart release but Al has some other plans for sales which we might consider but we'll see.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, mksmith said:

Sorry @Cousin Vinnie missed you post from earlier this week.  There are 4 planets (levels) each containing 6 screens.

I'm not sure this one is really worthy of a full cart release but Al has some other plans for sales which we might consider but we'll see.

Dude- whaddya talking about- ALWAYS release these things on cart. I'm still waiting on MILLY AND MOLLY on cart bro

Edited by Cousin Vinnie
  • Like 2