IGNORED

Bullshots - screenshots that don't accurately represent the game

zzip

18 hours ago, Leonard Smith said:

Haha!  That skull image cracks me up. ?

Imagine starting at that thing the entire time as you play through the game lol!
I noticed lots of European games featured those elaborately crafted score / status areas.  Probably a way to hide the fact that they were trying to cut down the screen size.

It is rather distracting ?

Yep, large status panels, especially on ST games were quite common, sometimes it did not cause too many issues, but i always found it resulted in a very cramped playing area on Pac-Mania. 

Something the STE fan remake addresses very nicely. 

• Like 1

On 1/12/2022 at 2:17 AM, Leonard Smith said:

Imagine starting at that thing the entire time as you play through the game lol!

I noticed lots of European games featured those elaborately crafted score / status areas.  Probably a way to hide the fact that they were trying to cut down the screen size.

It's kinda the idea... The thing is, many computers video chips were able to display 2 areas on screen with different resolutions.

Usually, the high resolution area would use more RAM and be limited in colors, the low resolution would have more colors but being real low res. So yeah you'd use the low resolution and "hide" the fact is is low resolution with a large status area.

• Like 1

On 1/13/2022 at 4:37 PM, Leonard Smith said:

Got it.
As a kid and looking through naive eyes, it just seemed like a waste of space and resources.  We wanted our games to be fullscreen, lol! 

Most of the time it was just the company's name (ie: Elite or Psygnosis) or the game's title crafted in some huge elaborate metallic-looking font. (see images)

Run the Gauntlet (ZX Spectrum).jpg

Airwolf (ZX Spectrum).jpg

These were even worse ?

220px-The_last_v8.png

Red-Max-001.gif

• Haha 1

• 3 months later...
On 12/30/2021 at 12:47 AM, Tempest said:

That is a really good question.

Just passed another one onto Frank Gasking of GTW 

Turbo Sub.. 

Early promotional screens show it as a third person viewpoint title, later promotional material and game itself had it as a first person affair.

I believe coder Ed Schneider sadly passed away some years ago but can anyone shed any light on this? 

lynxlog5 (1).jpg

full_4342682AmericaBackccc.jpg