IGNORED

“Attack of the PETSCII robots” for 7800

mike99mccarthy

Matt, Mike, I would like to say congratulations on the port's final stage before release. I also congratulated Dave himself on all the numerous versions that he and others have made. Plus, I also told him that the Lynx and TG-16/PC-Engine also had 65C02 processors, meaning that Attack of the PETSCII Robots can be ported to those systems, but have to be optimized for their strengths.

• Like 1

I'm glad to see people here seem to like the music! Working with the POKEY was a lot of fun, jank and all ^^;

I'm hopeful we'll see more games in the future using it, I would love to have another chance to use it in a commercial title.

20 hours ago, SlidellMan said:

Matt, Mike, I would like to say congratulations on the port's final stage before release. I also congratulated Dave himself on all the numerous versions that he and others have made. Plus, I also told him that the Lynx and TG-16/PC-Engine also had 65C02 processors, meaning that Attack of the PETSCII Robots can be ported to those systems, but have to be optimized for their strengths.

Just sayin' that I am ALWAYS available if someone wants to hire me to do music for a PC Engine version... I would love to contribute something to my beloved white box.

• Like 9

On 4/25/2022 at 7:19 AM, NoelleAmelie said:

I'm glad to see people here seem to like the music! Working with the POKEY was a lot of fun, jank and all ^^;

I'm hopeful we'll see more games in the future using it, I would love to have another chance to use it in a commercial title.

Just sayin' that I am ALWAYS available if someone wants to hire me to do music for a PC Engine version... I would love to contribute something to my beloved white box.

Thanks Noelle for adding your fantastic musical abilities to our conversion - it's really pushed it over the top!  People will be blown away once they here each of the in-game tunes.  Brilliant ☺️

• Like 7

• 3 weeks later...
7 hours ago, dmckean said:

The 8-bit Guy's video is live for this now but unfortunately it didn't come with all the technical details and challenges for the port like he did with previous versions. I'm extremely disappointed. 

Oh thanks hadn't watched that yet!

Never fear we have some plans to discuss the development of the 7800 version coming soon once we get closer to completion ?

• Like 6

• 3 months later...
7 hours ago, Dionoid said:

Hi @mksmith , is the game going to be available for both NTSC and PAL? My Atari 7800 (PAL) isn't modified, so that's why I'm asking.

Hey mate! It certainly does run on PAL currently (via emulation - the cart hardware has been tested and is working through finalisation).  Being a PAL user myself I definitely want any release I'm involved in being available for both sets of users.

Generally the main differences in 7800 land for us devs to cater for PAL is initialising the seperate palette and adjusting the music playback speed. Of course the slight reduction of game speed comes into it as well but we can still make some adjustments here if needed. 

45 minutes ago, Silver Back said:

My understanding is this game will available in cartridge form at PRGE and then AtariAge following the event, is that the current plan or did I misunderstand?

I was curious about this as well. I'm guessing Dave will be at PRGE as he has in the past, so I thought it might be more likely that he would be selling them at his booth along with the other versions of the game? 

I'm more curious about the box etc. for the 7800 release as while the Genesis release is great and the game play is awesome on the Genesis. The fact that the cart is just loose inside of one of his other computer versions box is kinda a let down as I figured the clam shells for Genesis games were pretty easy to come by these days?

13 hours ago, Dionoid said:

So you mean the same cart supporting both NTSC and PAL, right? That is very cool.

Yes it's a very nice feature!!

10 hours ago, Silver Back said:

My understanding is this game will available in cartridge form at PRGE and then AtariAge following the event, is that the current plan or did I misunderstand?

10 hours ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

I was curious about this as well. I'm guessing Dave will be at PRGE as he has in the past, so I thought it might be more likely that he would be selling them at his booth along with the other versions of the game? 

I'm more curious about the box etc. for the 7800 release as while the Genesis release is great and the game play is awesome on the Genesis. The fact that the cart is just loose inside of one of his other computer versions box is kinda a let down as I figured the clam shells for Genesis games were pretty easy to come by these days?

There will be a proper boxed release with manual specific to the 7800 version (currently in progress) and as announced will be available at the AtariAge booth with great thanks to @Albert.  David will also have some copies available via his website eventually I believe.

I did ask David a while ago whether he was going to PRGE but haven't heard anything.  As I'm going to be there this year I'm hoping he will be there to meet and sign some copies but we'll find out soon enough.

Thanks everyone for your interest in PETSCII - it's been a great project to be involved in as Mike has done some amazing work to make this version really shine 😁

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, mksmith said:

There will be a proper boxed release with manual specific to the 7800 version (currently in progress) and as announced will be available at the AtariAge booth with great thanks to @Albert.  David will also have some copies available via his website eventually I believe.

Yes, I will be selling Attack of the PETSCII Robots for the 7800 in the AtariAge booth at the show, and it will be available online in the AtariAge Store in early November.  I will also be supplying David with copies he can sell in his own store.

Once the box design has been completed, I will share it here and elsewhere!

..Al

• Like 11

2 hours ago, mksmith said:

I did ask David a while ago whether he was going to PRGE but haven't heard anything.  As I'm going to be there this year I'm hoping he will be there to meet and sign some copies but we'll find out soon enough.

This would be cool.😎

• Like 1

5 hours ago, gambler172 said:

I would be glad to buy a rom file.

Cause shipping and taxes and the bad Euro make it nearly impossible to buy a cart in the USA

All multi-carts will require an updated definition to load the game due to the newly created cart format from Fred and Mike but I guess we'll need to see how that will play out over time.   

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

We are currently putting the finishing touches to the Atari 7800 release 😆 The labels, box and manual have been finalized, the SNES2Atari adapters have been built (thank you Al 👏👏👏) and everything is being prepared for a special release available from the AtariAge booth at the upcoming Portland Retro Gaming Expo.

@Albert will have a 7800 console setup for those wishing to play the game (with the SNES controller) and take in the fantastic graphics and pokey soundtrack.

I'm making the trip from Australia for PRGE and can't wait to catch up with everyone at the expo - see you in Portland 🇦🇺✈️🇺🇸

PETSCII7800-game.png

PETSCII7800-map.png

PETSCII7800-title.png

• Like 13

6 hours ago, mksmith said:

@Albert will have a 7800 console setup for those wishing to play the game (with the SNES controller) and take in the fantastic graphics and pokey soundtrack.

And I've got just the 7800 for him to show this off on headed to Portland in the next few days... ;)

• Like 7

It is an absolutely phenomenal job.  @RevEng and @mksmith, have ported the 8-Bit Guy's title in such an incredible way, that even from a gameplay perspective, more than a couple of elements that were exclusive, and added first, to the 7800 port, were 'borrowed' and added to the other platforms.

Often polish is the term referred to respecting end results of a product in conjunction with the quality, care, and time put into a game title.  This port has been polished and waxed numerous times over.  There is no surprise of that fact, but tremendously grateful and appreciative of this awesome complete game that will soon be available to the masses on the 7800.

• Like 5