IGNORED

“Attack of the PETSCII robots” for 7800

mike99mccarthy

For those who have played the game on another platform, prior to the development of the 7800 port, there is no question the 'base' version of Attack of the PETSCII Robots is quite excellent.

As mentioned though, RevEng and mksmith introduced some fantastic features that originate with the 7800 port; many of which have been implemented on other platforms, due to the awesome additional value, fixes, and enhancements they bring to the game:

-distinct move and search cursors
-full color map screen with game stats
-hero, enemies, and shots are sprites that are displayed on top of tiles, instead of replacing them
-waving flag graphics
-bridge railing tile has animated water
-water tiles change in waves, rather than all at once
-graphic tiles version with working theatre text
-choice of 3 hero sprites
-shots don't occasionally pass through robots
-hero death animation
-travel in elevator doesn't remove previous info text
-hold down move direction and alt-controller direction to run and gun

Very excited for this release, to make it a "Day 1" purchase is a no-brainer for me.

• Like 7

On 11/11/2021 at 3:24 PM, Zonie said:

I'm surprised David is porting (or having it ported) to so many platforms. The Apple ][ take rate was dismal, and to be honest, I really don't think that game looks all that great. The packing and shipping seems to be overwhelming him as well. Hope he is making money with it.

Agreed. I subbed to his channel back in 2020.

On 9/29/2022 at 11:39 PM, Albert said:

Attack of the PETSCII Robots for the Atari 7800 will make its debut at the Portland Retro Gaming Expo in two weeks.  Here's a render of the box front and back:

7800_PETSCIIRobots_Render_Boxes.jpg
If you're not able to attend the show, Attack of the PETSCII Robots will be available in the AtariAge Store in early November!

..Al

MUST GET A COPY

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Ecernosoft said:

Let's be real: The 7800 port looks the best minus the C128 version since it has hires sprites for the player.

Don't say this before you've seen it, maybe the 7800 version might have a player sprite very close to the C128 version but with a lot more colors. Just one guess. :cool:

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Defender_2600 said:

Don't say this before you've seen it, maybe the 7800 version might have a player sprite very close to the C128 version but with a lot more colors. Just one guess. :cool:

😍 😍 😍

• Like 4

So an awesome trip to PRGE has come to an end! Thought I'd share some pics from the AtariAge booth from across the weekend.

The game is looking, sounding and running great thanks to the great work of Fred, Mike and Al and for myself was a pleasure to play the game on a console for the first time!

Thanks to those who picked up the game at the expo and wishing you many hours of gaming enjoyment 👍

IMG20221016042607.jpg

IMG20221017054056.jpg

IMG20221017062428.jpg

IMG20221017070357.jpg

IMG20221017083303.jpg

IMG20221017085803.jpg

• Like 19

I'm sure I will play some of this tomorrow once I've had a chance to get things unpacked etc. I do have a few things to mention about this release that were found out in more detail Sunday while playing it.

- The default 7800 controller layout is actually quite playable and I was very surprised by how well it works!

- The SNES controller option is also nice, but the manual is missing some crucial details on how to actually play using it. I will note this a bit later...

- The music that I've heard so far is very impressive for the POKEY. It has similarities of the original themes I'm used to hearing, but with a very unique POKIEness to it and that isn't a bad thing at all in this case!

- The graphics are very detailed compared to what you might have expected from the 7800. There is a LOT of color and detail that I wasn't prepared for when I first played it at the show

- From what I've played, the level map layouts and patterns and especially the timings of the robots is the same as the other versions I've played. This is good since it meant many of the techniques I use in the other versions of this game I own, continue to work here as well.

Now for the SNES controller details.

With the new SNES to Atari adapter that comes with the game, you have the ability to use an SNES controller to play and help with adding in more buttons/functions in a simpler way. But, the manual doesn't dictate in detail how to properly use the SNES controller. So here are some tips for its use:

To activate the Search and Move cursors while playing, you have to press and hold the Select button while pressing L1 or R1 to initiate search and move. 

Once you have found the Plasma gun, you use the R1 button to toggle between the pistol and plasma guns. 

Once you have found other items to use in the game, like the magnet, EMP..etc. You use the L1 button to cycle through them. Whichever item is currently being shown in the window is the currently selected item for use.

To use an actual item you have, you have to press and hold the Select button and press Start. 

Normal direction control of your character is done using the D-pad while the buttons for A,X,Y,B buttons are used to fire your currently selected weapon in the direction the button is located on the controller. So Y to shoot left, X to shoot Up, A to shoot right, and B to shoot down.

And that is basically what is needed to play the game with the SNES controller. 

@mksmith asked me for my opinion on what I would have changed on the SNES controller setup and I only had one thing I thought should have been different. And that is the fact that the Start button by itself on the SNES controller, doesn't have any function on its own. It would have been nice to have a method to pull up the in game level map using either the START button by itself, or in combination with something else as that way, the SNES controller would allow all needed functions for playing the game without having to get up to access anything on the 7800 while playing. For me, when I play the game, I happen to pull up the map quite often so I can get my bearings and see where else robots are located that I need to get rid of. Not being able to pull up the map from the SNES controller does seem a bit like a miss. If there is a method to bring it up, I haven't found it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

22 hours ago, Defender_2600 said:

Very nice photos and congratulations again! :)

Thank you again for your contribution Marco 😊

20 hours ago, DrVenkman said:

So now thast the game has made its formal debut, can one of the devs or testers put up a Youtube playthrough video, or at least a couple minute sample for us to see and hear it in action?

James is going to do a show dedicated to PETSCII on ZPH very soon so we will post a link once done otherwise will put a short video up soon.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

On 10/17/2022 at 9:08 PM, DrVenkman said:

So now thast the game has made its formal debut, can one of the devs or testers put up a Youtube playthrough video, or at least a couple minute sample for us to see and hear it in action?

I actually streamed just over an hour of some game play of the game yesterday on FB. I might stream a bit more tonight on either twitch or YT now that I'm getting more used to the controls.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, TIX said:

Great news, best version ever  🤘

And thank you again mate for your contribution 👏👏👏

13 minutes ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

I actually streamed just over an hour of some game play of the game yesterday on FB. I might stream a bit more tonight on either twitch or YT now that I'm getting more used to the controls.

Oh nice!! Enjoy 😁

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, grownup said:

Thanks for letting me know. I'll be wanting to buy one for my 7800. I had watched the original YouTube vids he made about it for the PET a while back. Will it be sold through Atari Age?

Hi there! Thanks for thinking of picking up PETSCII for the 7800.  Yes it will be going on sale here in the AtariAge store sometime in the next few weeks 👍 

• Like 2