IGNORED

“Attack of the PETSCII robots” for 7800

mike99mccarthy

20 hours ago, Jinks said:

Can you buy bare cart with Hokey? Sorry if this info is already somewhere. This looks really good!

Games have definately been sold in the past with just the cart so I assume that will be the same here but make sure you pickup the SNES2Atari adapter to play the game with a SNES controller though!

1 hour ago, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

INTERVIEW WITH

MATTHEW SMITH (MKSMITH) OF CHUNKYPIXEL

AT PRGE 2022

Matthew Smith @mksmith of ChunkyPixel

Thanks James and Tanya for doing all the interviews!  Not a fan of myself in 4k through - recommend 144p for the visuals 😂😂😂

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

45 minutes ago, mksmith said:

Thanks James and Tanya for doing all the interviews!  Not a fan of myself in 4k through - recommend 144p for the visuals 😂😂😂

You're so welcome Matt, it was an honour to interview you in person about your new release of AOTPR! Looking forward to playing it on the ZPH stream soon with the SNES adapter!

I agree, 144p is really the way to go. Plus it saves TONS of bandwidth and is super retro looking!

- James

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

On 10/26/2022 at 7:34 AM, Fierodoug5 said:

Will this Atari-SNES adaptor work on the Atari 8-bit the 8-bit version of Petscii Robots?

Not as it's presently coded. The Atari 8-bit computer version of Petscii Robots expects the snack snes adapter, and the 7800 version uses the snes2atari standard. (wiki link with signal breakdown and driver coming soon)

We chose not to go with snack because of it's use of paddle lines, and the timing complications for 7800 and 2600 that paddle reading brings. Plus availability in North America seemed to be an issue for snack, while the snes2atari is a super minimal design, so we were able to make them locally.

• Like 6

On 10/17/2022 at 11:55 PM, -^CrossBow^- said:

[...]

- The SNES controller option is also nice, but the manual is missing some crucial details on how to actually play using it. I will note this a bit later...

[...]

With the new SNES to Atari adapter that comes with the game, you have the ability to use an SNES controller to play and help with adding in more buttons/functions in a simpler way. But, the manual doesn't dictate in detail how to properly use the SNES controller.

Just an update for everybody that this has been corrected, and the SNES controls in the upcoming game release will match the manual. (and the SNES controls on other Petscii Robots platforms)

In terms of PRGE sold carts, if someone wants the updated version Al will offer a send-in-and-swap at some point.

• Like 8

On 10/19/2022 at 9:34 PM, -^CrossBow^- said:

I actually streamed just over an hour of some game play of the game yesterday on FB. I might stream a bit more tonight on either twitch or YT now that I'm getting more used to the controls.

Great gaming session, thanks for sharing!

This port is truly wonderful, I don't have enough words to thank Matt and Mike for giving us this gem in the 7800 library! 👏👏👏

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Just wanted to pop in and say thanks to everyone keeping this old hardware fin and active!  Thanks @mksmith for the work on the game, and to @ZeroPage Homebrew for all the reviews and keeping people up to date.

Thanks Stephen! We must also include @RevEng, @NoelleAmelie and David Murray on the game side 😄

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

ATARIAGE DAY 2022: FALL EDITION

THIS SATURDAY AND SUNDAY!

image.thumb.png.8b81b34351d82294a4b3b446b5309bc9.png

Make sure you tune in this Saturday and Sunday to ZeroPage Homebrew for the biggest LIVE UNBOXING and INTERVIEW EVENT OF THE YEAR for Atari Homebrew! ZeroPage Homebrew will be hosting AtariAge Day 2022: Fall Edition celebrating all the newest Atari 2600, 5200, 7800 and Atari Jaguar releases!

Saturday Nov 12 & Sunday Nov 13, 2022
LIVE @ 12PM PT | 3PM ET | 8PM GMT (Click for your local time)
WATCH LIVE: https://twitch.tv/zeropagehomebrew/
WATCH LATER: https://youtube.com/zeropagehomebrew/

We will be talking LIVE to the developers of TWENTY FOUR GAMES that are hitting the AtariAge Store:

• Blocks (2600) - Jeremiah Knol & Jeff Haber
  • Boulder Dash (2600) - Thomas Jentzsch & Andrew Davie
  • Gorf Arcade (2600) - John Champeau
  • Grizzards (2600) - Bruce-Robert Pocock
  • Lode Runner (2600) - Dion Olsthoorn
  • Oozy the Goo Slime Quest (2600) - Vladimir Zuniga
  • Qyx (2600) - John Champeau
  • RAPTOR (2600) - Andrew Pauley
  • RubyQ (2600) - Silvio Mogno
  • Starovox (2600) - Rayman C.
  • VROOM! (2600) - Thomas Jentzsch
  • Rob 'n' Banks (5200) - Ryan Witmer
  • 2048 (7800) - Lewis Hill
  • Attack of the PETSCII Robots (7800) - Mike Saarna
  • Dragon's Havoc (7800) - Todd Furmanski
  • Galaxian Arcade (7800) - Bob DeCrescenzo
  • Keystone Koppers (7800) - Lewis Hill
  • Pac-Man Collection 40th Anniversary (7800) - Bob DeCrescenzo
  • Popeye (7800) - Darryl Guenther
  • Slide Boy in Maze Land (7800) - Vladimir Zuniga
  • UniWarS (7800) - Bob DeCrescenzo
  • Chaos Engine (Jaguar) - Lawrence Staveley
  • Gods (Jaguar) - Lawrence Staveley
  • Stormbringer (Jaguar) - Lawrence Staveley

YOU DON'T WANT TO MISS THIS EPIC LIVESTREAM!

- James

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Been watching the re-run of yesterday's show.  Nice to see & listen to Mike. I believe its the first time I hear and see him. My thanks to you, Matt and Bobby for all that you do for the community. I look forward to purchasing a copy of PETSCII Robots. Well done gents!

• Like 7

23 hours ago, RevEng said:

Thanks, Steve! (and thanks for giving the opportunity to speak about the game, James and Tanya! @ZeroPage Homebrew)

Thank you so much Mike for coming on the stream to talk about your astounding achievement with PETSCII Robots! I'm looking forward to delving into the game on upcoming streams of ZPH. 🙂

- James

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

What an awesome port of an excellent game!  There is a considerable amount of depth and layers, along with the player truly in control of gameplay tactics and being able to explore, without fear of needing huge segments of time to enjoy.  Each map can be viewed as part of a 15 map universe.

I created a video that showcases various scenarios encountered, including but not exclusive to riding a raft across waters, traversing on foot, and utilizing an elevator to access several floors.  Also, some of the hallmarks of this port, which is unique to the 7800 platform, or originated with it and then 'borrowed' by the other ports, deserve attention, such as: full color map screen with game stats, waving flag graphics, water tiles changing in waves, among other things.

The various hero sprites, along with several different melodies heard throughout the game, are also fantastic aspects of this port that really should be highlighted and emphasized as well.  Therefore, every map played, cycles through each hero sprite, and the four unique in-game melodies are showcased.  Revealing secrets - but not all, conquering arguably the easiest to most difficult of challenges, the following maps were played through and chosen for the video: 01 - Research Lab, 08 - Robot Hotel, 10 - Death Tower, 15 - Pilands

Denoted below, as well as in the video description on its respective YouTube page, are bookmarks that jump to the start of different maps.

The video is by no means a definitive walkthrough of any map, everything is not shown.  Another great aspect of this game are the multiple ways and alternative sequences to take down the robots.  To state the very least, this is one title that will never feel boring or repetitious.  A without hesitation must buy game for your 7800 collection.

Chapters:

0:01:47 - Map 01 - Research Lab

0:17:31 - Map 08 - Robot Hotel

0:40:48 - Map 10 - Death Tower

1:03:18 - Map 15 - Pilands

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for that, Trebor!

4 hours ago, Trebor said:

[...]  Also, some of the hallmarks of this port, which is unique to the 7800 platform, or originated with it and then 'borrowed' by the other ports, deserve attention, such as: full color map screen with game stats, waving flag graphics, water tiles changing in waves, among other things. [...]

One thing for that "among other things" list that I keep meaning to mention - our robots are all sprites that are overlaid on top of the tiles, rather than replacing the tiles they stand on like most of the other ports. (AFAIK only the 16-bit console ports of the game overlay the enemies like we do)

Delving in a bit deeper, the game uses a sprites-as-tiles design, which means the main game area is composed of 231 sprites, and another 84 sprites for the robots, the hero, and other overlay objects. So 315 sprites in total, not including the sprite graphics for the "doom guy" health, active weapon, and active item. The 7800 is truly a sprite monster.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, TIX said:

Thanks for this @Trebor, great overview !

it's the 1st time I saw Bruce (the hero I drew) in action,

he looks pretty good, though in hindsight I should have added more colors, as from the looks of it, the others used many more..

I guess I didn't get the memo 😄

I love that each hero sprite looks unique - you did a great job!

Besides, Bruce is The MAN!  He took on four Evilbots simultaneously...

image.png.69fc621ca7a641da216551d4cd435412.png

...And beat them all!

image.png.8e0152e916bf3dee8864dc8fd3757705.png

Maybe he should have been named Chuck instead.

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, TIX said:

he looks pretty good, though in hindsight I should have added more colors, as from the looks of it, the others used many more..

To be honest, I haven't received any memo about using more colors. In the beginning I had to convert the original sprites of the C128 version which uses only 3 colors. After I had made the sprites in 3 colors, I went back to work on making an 8 color version but that was just my initiative, as I saw that the game was using 160B 4bpp mode. Also I delivered these new sprites at the last minute and Mike was very kind to implement the graphics just before sending the final version to Al. So there was really no time left for other changes.

Anyway, you did a great job with your 5 color sprite!

Edited by Defender_2600
  • Like 6

4 hours ago, TIX said:

I love Bruce 😍 He's my go to when I play the game!

• Like 5