IGNORED

2048 [Done]

Muddyfunster

2048 - Atari 7800 Edition

This is my take on a 2048 number tile game for the 7800. I started this as a bit of a side-project / experiment as I'd never really tried anything like a puzzle game before. It took shape quite quickly and with a bit of polishing turned into a playable game.

There is no sound or music, I wanted the game to be quite minimalistic in approach (to be honest, sfx playing each time you make a move would probably drive most people crazy).

Unless some bugs are found and need fixing, I'd call this done.

2048 is Couch Compliant!

Enjoy!

Objective & Playing 

Make a 2048 tile!

The game is played on a 4 x 4 board and the player starts with two number 2 tiles. 

Each turn where the player makes a valid move, another number 2 tile is added to the game board (a valid move is moving the tiles, or combining tiles). If you try to move in such a way that no move is completed, a turn is not registered and no new number "2" is added to the board.

You make new tiles by combining the tiles already on the board. Combine 2 and 2 to make a 4, combine 4 and 4 to make an 8 and so on, combine a 1024 and 1024 to make a 2048.

Game over occurs when the board is full and you no longer have a valid move available (ie no way to move or combine tiles).

It sounds way more complex that it is.

Controls

Up, Down, Left & Right will move all of the tiles on the board in the direction you select. 

example 

Scoring 

Score points by smashing tiles together. 

Score = the sum of the tiles you smash together - create an 8 tile - you score 8, create a 32 tile, you score 32 and so on.

Greedy moves are not allowed (no mega-combines - A tile can only combine once per turn).

Release Candidate ROM

The RC2 rom supports NTSC and PAL as well as AV/Save key for hiscores.

The RC2 rom should work fine on Dragonfly, Concerto and most emulators. BUP might get upset with the hiscore code, I'll add a "BUP Friendly" version over the weekend. 

Thanks

@Trebor @ZeroPage Homebrew @sramirez2008 for doing a bit of testing and for valuable feedback!

image.png.cde747eb11eaca502d9bee688b902ffb.pngimage.thumb.png.2db47949d1034f30e38c95bb8e1f0409.png

2048_RC1a.a78

• Like 14

I'm not usually very good at these types of games, but here is my first run. I was able to make a 512 block and had a 256 hiding near it as well. But wasn't able to get rid of two 16 blocks that simply would no line up for me and it was pretty quick and over with at that point.

2048_5312.JPG

• Like 2

So I watched college football most of the afternoon yesterday and played many rounds of this delightful time-waster. I never did get past the 512 block, but I was able to get to that mark numerous times, and to 256 most of the time. I expect I’ll spend many idle hours just letting my brain unwind with this one in days and months to come. :)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, DrVenkman said:

So I watched college football most of the afternoon yesterday and played many rounds of this delightful time-waster. I never did get past the 512 block, but I was able to get to that mark numerous times, and to 256 most of the time. I expect I’ll spend many idle hours just letting my brain unwind with this one in days and months to come. :)

Exactly where I am with the game currently.  I spent an obnoxious amount of time playing late last night.. so addictive.

I'm quite surprised at my attention to this title, honestly, puzzle games I'm typically not a big fan; however, I believe the number combination concept here is the hook for me.   If this was a puzzle game of sequencing pieces to make pictures, I would likely hardly play it.

I've come to the conclusion that obviously, Muddyfunster is Latin for drug dealer, and somehow giving me a fix. :D 

• Haha 3

• 5 weeks later...

First play-though:  (To be fair, I've played the original web version many times before)

image.thumb.png.da689670bd9b6abff6e19fcc9ec01e22.png

Then I hit the button, expecting to continue... but of course, I got caught off-guard by the "couch-compliant" reset. Oops.

Does the game let you continue on from this point, or is this the end of the game?

• Like 2