IGNORED

Server Move August 26th

Albert

Notes about the new server :

- I haven't noticed an extra speed enhancement about the forum speed. (Indeed, It was already very fast for me  ;) )

- Lag for the edit fonction seems to be shorter than before but this fonction is not as faster as I expected from the new server. Sorry to have said that  :(, anyway this is not very important !

The main reason for the server change was to get the site running on a machine witih more memory. This gives MySQL more room to breath and should prevent it from swapping out to disk, which would sometimes cause the site to slow down considerably. The new machine also has a much faster processor, which helps as well.

The intent of the move was not to make editing faster, as this is an inherent problem with the PHPBB forum software. This problem will go away once we switch to new forum software, which is something I hope can be done within the next two weeks. Editing posts will then be immediate, with no delay whatsoever. The forums will also be faster overall than they are now.

..Al

What's the most appropriate place for site bugs?

Anyway, clicked on read older news on the frontpage,

the URL goes to

http://atariage.com/news/data/archive.html

and the page comes up

Warning: main(/home/virtual/site3/fst/var/www/html/includes/header.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/virtual/site4/fst/var/www/html/news/data/archive.html on line 1

Fatal error: main(): Failed opening required '/home/virtual/site3/fst/var/www/html/includes/header.php' (include_path='.:/php/includes:/usr/share/php') in /home/virtual/site4/fst/var/www/html/news/data/archive.html on line 1

Hmmmm forum softwarechange eh. I better find me all the attachments that I want to download.. Where's that GCC Millipede? :D

I'm going to try and modify the forum conversion software so attachments make the transition to the new software. The problem is that PHPBB doesn't have native support for attachments, so it's a mod we added later (and an extremely useful one at that). Because it's just a "mod", the conversion software ignores the attachments.

Another problem is the new forum software only supports one attachment per message. So some attachments *will* get lost, but most messages with attachments only have one attachment, so overall it should be okay. I'll have more information about this soon.

..Al

Notes about the new server :

- I haven't noticed an extra speed enhancement about the forum speed. (Indeed, It was already very fast for me  ;) )

- Lag for the edit fonction seems to be shorter than before but this fonction is not as faster as I expected from the new server. Sorry to have said that  :(, anyway this is not very important !

The main reason for the server change was to get the site running on a machine witih more memory. This gives MySQL more room to breath and should prevent it from swapping out to disk, which would sometimes cause the site to slow down considerably. The new machine also has a much faster processor, which helps as well.

The intent of the move was not to make editing faster, as this is an inherent problem with the PHPBB forum software. This problem will go away once we switch to new forum software, which is something I hope can be done within the next two weeks. Editing posts will then be immediate, with no delay whatsoever. The forums will also be faster overall than they are now.

..Al

Thanks for your explanations Al.

I'm looking forward the switch to the new forum software ;)