IGNORED

Altirra 4.00 released

phaeron

There's a bug I keep running into with Quick Save State/Quick Load State that makes PM graphics 'glitchy'.

I found a game that repros it more easily than others, "Bounty Bob Strikes Back". It'll happen in many games, and it causes a PM to be drawn at the wrong horizontal location. It flickers a bunch but the misdrawn parts do seem to have a pattern to the flicker.

To hit it, just 'Quick Save Sate' then 'Quick Load State' until one of the 'Quick Load State's will result in the PM's glitching like you can see below: You can see two of them doing this 'strip glitch', one near the middle of the screen, and another lower down. When running it cycles each frame as to which ones are glitching (harder to show).

image.thumb.png.f769de261f9c9e8c9c3bb72c23149e27.png

Once in this state, doing 'Quick Load State' again won't fix it, and it will stay in this state even after doing a cold reset. Doing 'Quick Save State' then 'Quick Load State' can get it back out of it, oddly enough.

If you have any other games/apps to try when in this state that'll give you a clue let me know! For other ones like 'Jumpman' it's harder to spot as it'll just be one frame in many. The PM collision detection applies in the glitched location (which of course kills you in many games).

Edited by Bennet

https://www.virtualdub.org/beta/Altirra-4.10-test29.zip
https://www.virtualdub.org/beta/Altirra-4.10-test29-src.7z

• Fixed GTIA register write queue sometimes getting desynced on state load.
  • Fixed conflicts between debugger memory access breakpoints at the same address.
  • Adjusted image filtering when taking screenshots with true aspect ratio.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

В вашем эмуляторе совершенно неверно работает счётчик 5 bit poly. Если Вам интересно, могу написать, что необходимо сделать для получения правильной последовательности счётчика, которая на выходе получается не 31, а 62 бит.

complain (complaints) didn't used to be a bad word(s), used to mean- the cause of... or a fault... ailment/malady. those meanings have gone and don't appear in most dictionaries anymore and the negative connotation... well, what doesn't eventually get that these days.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, _The Doctor__ said:

complain (complaints) didn't used to be a bad word(s), used to mean- the cause of... or a fault... ailment/malady. those meanings have gone and don't appear in most dictionaries anymore and the negative connotation... well, what doesn't eventually get that these days.

You know things are bad when "Goblin Mode" has been added to the Oxford Dictionary..

• Haha 1

Just I let you know about potential issues with new Wine version.

Recently I upgraded Ubuntu 22.04 => 22.10 and since then Altirra stopped showing display output with Direct3D 9 (Tools => Options => Display => Direct3D 9).
Maybe related to new Wine 7.0 (previously there was Wine 6.0 in Ubuntu 22.04 and Direct3D 9 worked fine).

I'm getting this during start of Altirra:

image.thumb.png.e533d9a6c2aeeda9c8ec501499a61f8c.png

mirao@yoga:~$ Altirra64.exe /startuplog:hostdisp
[ 0.269] HOSTDISP: VideoDisplay: Current monitor update: 0000000000000000 -> 0000000000000001.
[ 0.420] HOSTDISP: VideoDisplay/DX9: Successfully created Direct3D 9 device.
[ 0.421] HOSTDISP: Device: nvd3dum.dll (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470)
[ 0.421] HOSTDISP: DeviceCaps: VS3.0, PS3.0, MaxTex 16384x16384, ReadScanline No, HWVP
[ 0.422] HOSTDISP: VideoDisplay/DX9: Init successful on adapter 0 (\\.\DISPLAY1 / nvd3dum.dll), monitor 0000000000000001.
[ 0.423] HOSTDISP: VideoDisplay/DX9: Init successful for 1x1 source image (XRGB8888 -> XRGB8888); monitor=0000000000000001
[ 0.427] Initiating cold reset
[ 0.429] Initializing full screen mode
[ 0.430] Running main loop
[ 0.482] HOSTDISP: VideoDisplay/DX9: Init successful for 336x240 source image (Pal8 -> XRGB8888); monitor=0000000000000001

Fortunately if I disable the option "Direct3D 9", graphics starts working and it doesn't seem to be worse than with previous Wine version. I checked image quality from the PoP game: 

I'm using WINE 8.0_rc2-150 on Solus personally, and Direct3D9 is working as good as it has been so far.

I've never tested Direct3D11 however, but I don't think it would do much of a difference.

Now that I think about it, the issue I did experience some time ago has mysteriously stopped happening since the last couple updates of both my OS and Altirra versions, so that's cool to me 🤔 😀

Not seeing this issue with Wine 7.0 or 8.0 on Ubuntu 22.10, either. It looks like the 3D surface is simply not drawing at all, which is pretty broken.

Note that if disabling Direct3D 9 fixes it, it means that you're dropping to GDI, which means no image filtering, blending, or shader effects -- it's not the way that Altirra is supposed to look and some functions will be disabled.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, phaeron said:

Not seeing this issue with Wine 7.0 or 8.0 on Ubuntu 22.10

Strange, maybe it depends on specific HW (I'm running Ryzen 4700U with graphics Radeon RX Vega 7).
I tried to remove ~./wine and also switched D3D renderer to "vulkan", "gdi" or "gl" (default), but still no success.

Hi,

is there a way to add a breakpoint by it's name? I'm using WINE 7.x and Altirra 4.10test26 and also Altirra on Windows 10. 

In my file NIGHT.lab which is loaded with .loadsym there exist a line with

33ca @ENEMY_FLY_BAT

I'm running altirra from Makefile which looks like this:

debug: $(INCLUDES) $(GAME_OBJ_FILES) game_disk
	$(ALTIRRA) \
	/portable \
	/debug \
	/debugcmd: ".sourcemode on" \
	/debugcmd: ".loadsym NIGHT.lst" \
	/debugcmd: ".loadsym NIGHT.lab" \
	/debugcmd: "bp 2000" \
	/debubcmd: "bp \"@ENEMY_FLY_BAT\"" \    <--------
	/disk "start-game.atr"

For the named breakpoint I get: "Unable to parse expression '@ENEMY_FLY_BAT': Unknown special variable '@ENEMY'"

Is there a simple way to set such breakpoint by it's name?

6 hours ago, LarsImNetz said:

For the named breakpoint I get: "Unable to parse expression '@ENEMY_FLY_BAT': Unknown special variable '@ENEMY'"

Unfortunately, no. '@' is a special character in the expression evaluator and isn't parsed for identifiers. You'll need to alias this label to a different name to use it with the debugger.

• 3 months later...

Not sure this is the right place for this but it's an Altirra issue so...

I just now downloaded the Altirra 4.1.0 Zip and unpacked it and am running it.  However, I am entirely unable to see any content in the .chm help.  Other .chm files on the same machine are perfectly all right, so the problem is specific to Altirra.chm .  Is there a known problem with this file?  During configuration, I saw one piece of text that refers the user to the Help for further details, but it's not unheard of for software to be great but documentation to be skimpy or simply "TBD".  What's the scoop in this case?

Oh-- this is on Windows 10 Home.

Edited by ChrisChiesa

On 12/29/2022 at 10:11 PM, phaeron said:

Not seeing this issue with Wine 7.0 or 8.0 on Ubuntu 22.10, either. It looks like the 3D surface is simply not drawing at all, which is pretty broken.

Note that if disabling Direct3D 9 fixes it, it means that you're dropping to GDI, which means no image filtering, blending, or shader effects -- it's not the way that Altirra is supposed to look and some functions will be disabled.

That grey screen of his looks like what I was seeing using RDT to the VM. Interestingly enough, it also occurs using RDT to a real machine, in this case one of the Intel NUC boxes with a J4005 cpu running W10 Pro. Switching to fullscreen brings the display back and upon switching back to windowed view the screen stays good for the life of the session. So I don't think it's particular to a VM, but perhaps due to crappy graphics hardware. This particular NUC is rather weak, it can barely run the Delphi IDE.

7 hours ago, ChrisChiesa said:

Not sure this is the right place for this but it's an Altirra issue so...

I just now downloaded the Altirra 4.1.0 Zip and unpacked it and am running it.  However, I am entirely unable to see any content in the .chm help.  Other .chm files on the same machine are perfectly all right, so the problem is specific to Altirra.chm .  Is there a known problem with this file?  During configuration, I saw one piece of text that refers the user to the Help for further details, but it's not unheard of for software to be great but documentation to be skimpy or simply "TBD".  What's the scoop in this case?

Oh-- this is on Windows 10 Home.

Open the help from Altirra's Help menu or right-click the .chm file in Explorer and select Unblock. There is somewhat lame behavior in Windows that if a .chm file is tagged as coming from the web, HTML Help will not display it -- and gives no error as to why. The "mark of the web" needs to be removed to fix this. Altirra will automatically remove it when launching the help file, but you have to do it manually if you are launching it directly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2