IGNORED

Atari SA releasing limited run 2600 cartridges.

Nall3k

1 hour ago, TPR said:

Here's the email I just got from Atari XP Support. I love the "(INSERT- XP CARTRIDGE PRODUCT NAME)" part! 😅😂

That sucks.  Growing up, (INSERT- XP CARTRIDGE PRODUCT NAME) was always one of my favourite games, so I can totally commiserate with being stuck in limbo while waiting for them to take care of it.

Joking aside, though, here's hoping for a quick resolution. Kinda pathetic that Sparky the Wonder Intern doesn't know how to use Find & Replace; ten points for Atari SA accepting responsibility for the situation, but minus several million for the execution behind making it right.

If anyone in Camp Rosen is reading this, they should be deeply embarrassed not only for this happening, but for not even being able to competently compose an email message addressing the problem.

• Like 2
  • Haha 8

34 minutes ago, x=usr(1536) said:

Kinda pathetic that Sparky the Wonder Intern doesn't know how to use Find & Replace

I must've gotten a different intern

Thank you for contacting Atari XP Support. We are truly sorry to hear that your copy of Saboteur arrived damaged. At this time, our team is addressing the issue and the scope of the problem. We will have an update for you very soon on the quickest resolution.

I thought their choice of the word "damaged" was interesting. Like they're trying to lay the groundwork for putting the blame on the USPS if they have to by suggesting that this somehow happened in transit.

But I'm probably giving Atari way too much credit by suggesting they could think something through that far ahead.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, KaeruYojimbo said:

Like they're trying to lay the groundwork for putting the blame on the USPS if they have to by suggesting that this somehow happened in transit.

Well, maybe if the USPS guy was some kind of magician able to reverse the PCB by just shaking it, they could have a case I guess... 🤔

magic fuck you GIF by funk

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, roots.genoa said:

Well, maybe if the USPS guy was some kind of magician able to reverse the PCB by just shaking it, they could have a case I guess...

Now they're going to use that post as verification. Thanks a lot.

Dear (INSERT NAME OF SUCKER ATARI XP CUSTOMER)

We are sorry that your (INSERT NAME OF BLATANT CASH GRAB CARTRIDGE) arrived damaged. However, in our investigation of the matter we found compelling video evidence that your USPS guy was some kind of magician able to reverse the PCB by just shaking it and that Atari is not to blame. There's probably a way you can file a claim with USPS or something but, like we said, this wasn't our fault so stop bothering us about it.

Atari XP Support

• Haha 4

Has anyone else with Yars' Return flipped it around and had it work?  I pulled the PCB back out from the cart again this morning and tested the PCB directly in my 7800 with identical results.  Just wanted to make sure it wasn't a bad cart fit causing poor contact.

Wish I knew someone local with a 2600 to see if the cart is truly bad or if perhaps it's a compatibility issue with 7800s...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nadir said:

Wish I knew someone local with a 2600 to see if the cart is truly bad or if perhaps it's a compatibility issue with 7800s...

Yars' Return is the only one out of the three games that uses additional ram on cartridge. If something is wrong (e.g. the timings are slightly off) with the way it has been implemented in the new board, it wouldn't surprise me if there are incompatibilities, especially on the 7800...

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

My LE copy of Yars' Return was tested on eight console variations. It did not fit one 7800 and did not work on a Retron 77. It worked on a different 7800, 4-switch Video Arcade, 4-switch Woody, Coleco Gemini and two Jr's.

Some incompatibility with different 7800 models is expected so I give them a pass on that. I mean, I can't even play Activision, Imagic or certain red label carts on that particular unit so I'm not holding their feet to the fire.

Also, incompatibility with the Retron 77 is disappointing but I don't expect these to work with third-party hardware.

• Like 2

Just now, x=usr(1536) said:

I'd like to hear more about the 3D-printed vs. Not 3D-printed cartridge discussion.  Were they, weren't they, or was it a bit of both?

There is absolutely no way they would be using 3D-printed cartridges for the volume they are dealing with.  Absolutely no way.  And photos of the cartridges (including the interior of shells that I've see in videos) show clearly that they are injection-molded parts.  Nobody seriously thought they were using 3D printed shells, did they?

..Al

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Albert said:

There is absolutely no way they would be using 3D-printed cartridges for the volume they are dealing with.  Absolutely no way.  And photos of the cartridges (including the interior of shells that I've see in videos) show clearly that they are injection-molded parts.  Nobody seriously thought they were using 3D printed shells, did they?

Speaking of injection-molded shells... how are the ones for AtariAge coming along?

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Albert said:

..Al

No, but the reason why I asked if they were 3D-printed was to solicit a definitive answer from anyone who has received them that would put the question to rest.

The damage on the one we saw a few posts up has had a couple of people asking about it, so while I'm in agreement with every point you bring up, it wouldn't hurt to have people who have had them in their hands clear the point up.

On 9/12/2022 at 11:40 PM, SabertoothRetro said:

... did not work on a Retron 77

While these games use bankswitching schemes among the few ones actually supported by the R77's cartridge dumper, and so they had chances to "work" with it, the R77 relies on the 2 "GND" pins (pin 12 and 24) to be connected together in order to detect if a cartridge is inserted in the slot. Unfortunately, that's not a good method as not all of the games (also classic ones) have those 2 pins connected internally.

And by looking at the PCB renders posted a while ago on the Atari XP page (link), it seems that this board only connects pin 24 to the ground plane, while pin 12 apparently has been repurposed for some other function: you can spot a trace connecting it to resistor R1 and then continuing (through a "via") to one of the ICs (difficult to follow exactly where it goes from those pictures).

atarixp_cart_render.thumb.JPG.49d67ddaeaaec7825bfcb6d6412fbb57.JPG
This seems to be confirmed by screen grabs of the actual board taken from the youtube video linked in the previous page:

atari-s-first-2600-carts-in-decades-unboxing-pcb-fix-more2.jpg.84f75c13d15ef43cddac2e5064e7c306.jpgatari-s-first-2600-carts-in-decades-unboxing-pcb-fix-more3.thumb.jpg.a48538ff72c9e7aafe53849c893b3dc0.jpg

Edited by alex_79
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, KaeruYojimbo said:

When's #LetEveryoneKnowWhatWePlanToDoAboutTheDefectiveCartridgesDay?

Seems like today!

1681272332_ScreenShot2022-09-14at1_36_55PM.thumb.png.a6deab18a5afee545813ad763153714c.png

Dear Customer,

For each Standard Edition game you’ve ordered, we’ll be replacing your cartridge with a new one within the next 30 days free of charge. No action is needed from the customer at this time. We will ask that you return the non-working cartridge via the prepaid shipping label that will be included with your package when it arrives.

We will continue to keep you informed of any changes and will notify you when we send out the replacement(s).

Our sincere apologies again and thank you for your patience,
~Atari Team

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, x=usr(1536) said:

No, but the reason why I asked if they were 3D-printed was to solicit a definitive answer from anyone who has received them that would put the question to rest.

The damage on the one we saw a few posts up has had a couple of people asking about it, so while I'm in agreement with every point you bring up, it wouldn't hurt to have people who have had them in their hands clear the point up.

The are definitely injection molded shells. They have a similar texture to the classic shells. 

• Like 2