IGNORED

Atari SA releasing limited run 2600 cartridges.

Nall3k

1 minute ago, Albert said:

I have a contact at Atari I've spoken to recently, I was aware this project was coming down the pike but didn't have many details.  I'm kind of surprised Saboteur wasn't specifically mentioned. It's not something I'm going to make a big deal about, but I will bring it up when I speak to them again.

..Al

If you speak to them again, I'd bring up that they need to do a better job on their sites... They're doing this whole 50 year anniversary and whoever put up this XP page put "futuristic since 1973" when it should be 72. One of many mistakes that should have been caught.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Xevious70 said:

Hmm. I also noticed that Saboteur is the only box that doesn't have Video Computer System under the Atari logo on the front. Then again, it's just a 3D render, and perhaps just another inconsistency that fell through the cracks. It gets worse and worse as we go along...

Yes, those boxes are a bit of a mess.  Here's a photo from the press release I linked above:

7931a6d5-98f8-eb27-9d4a-8b756944f2e3.png

Not only is "Video Computer System" missing from Saboteur, but,

• The position of the ATARI name at the top is different on each box. 
  • The position of "Video Computer System" on the Aquaventure and Yars' Return boxes is not consistent. 
  • The size of the ATARI name is not consistent (look at Aquaventure versus Yars' Return). 
  • The Registered Trademark ® symbol is a different size on each of these boxes. 
  • The box containing the artwork is a completely different size on each box. 

And this is just the front of the boxes. We know the Atari logo is upside down on the spines, for instance.  Yars' Return missing the apostrophe on the cartridge.  Etc.

I really hope they haven't printed anything based on what we've seen so far.

..Al

• Like 4
  • Haha 7
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Albert said:

Not only is "Video Computer System" missing from Saboteur, but,

• The position of the ATARI name at the top is different on each box. 
  • The position of "Video Computer System" on the Aquaventure and Yars' Return boxes is not consistent. 
  • The size of the ATARI name is not consistent (look at Aquaventure versus Yars' Return). 
  • The Registered Trademark ® symbol is a different size on each of these boxes. 
  • The box containing the artwork is a completely different size on each box. 

And this is just the front of the boxes. We know the Atari logo is upside down on the spines, for instance.  Yars' Return missing the apostrophe on the cartridge.  Etc.

I really hope they haven't printed anything based on what we've seen so far.

..Al

Ouch... what a train wreck! Style Guide, anyone?? Geez. 

Yeah, I didn't catch that on the isometric renders, but now that I see them straight on, it looks really bad. And you're right, that's just the front of the boxes. Yikes. 

It reminds me of those total bootleg jobs where they get aaalmost everything right, but then overlook small details that eventually give them away. And $150 for these boxes? Oof.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, jgkspsx said:

Somebody is signaling they’re in distress.

Aaah. The plot thickens. What if it's one of those hidden message things, like finger-crossing? As if to say that the designer "does not mean what he/she is saying or is being compelled to act/design through coercion" ...? [dun dun duuuunnn]

• Haha 1

Just now, Xevious70 said:

Aaah. The plot thickens. What if it's one of those hidden message things, like finger-crossing? As if to say that the designer "does not mean what he/she is saying or is being compelled to act/design through coercion" ...? [dun dun duuuunnn]

Hmm.  Maybe it's a secret contest where whoever spots all the errors wins some prize?  

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Xevious70 said:

“Help I’m trapped in Atari SA’s design department”

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

6 minutes ago, jgkspsx said:

“Help I’m trapped in Atari SA’s design department”

That's the problem, I don't believe they actually have a design department or an agency to do these kinds of things. But, they need to get someone with a design background to do these sites.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Kaboomer said:

Their press kits show a thicker box it looks like (to hold all the goodies?!) for 'Limited' editions and thin for 'Standard'...

Yeah, the press kit is not consistent with what's spelled out in the press release.  I guess it's going to be ambiguous until someone from Atari chimes in.

..Al

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, hizzy said:

Does this mean we'll get a new 2600 to go with these games?

Now that would be something, wouldn't it! I'd be for it but not if it's in the vain of Retron 77. I'm guessing not, with the lagging sales of the new VCS. Although it might be worth asking @Albert if he knows...unless he has an existing NDA with Atari! ;)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mockduck said:

I am very excited, although ouch on the wallet. I don't think money will allow me to buy all three at this time, so I'll probably get Aquaventure as that game is really good.

Atari XP has heard your concerns and offers easy financing options!

atarifinance.thumb.png.f3aea23b118e77164cb2641420c0cba4.png

• Haha 7