IGNORED

Boxing - Super Pro now available!

intvdave

I bought this as soon as I saw it was available! Here's my quick review.

Intellivision boxing was always a great game, but you needed a partner to play against. IntvDave's Super Pro Boxing fixes that, but the improvements go beyond adding a computer opponent. I'm so glad he's completed and released this. I'm selective about what games I buy, but this was an instant purchase. I spent the afternoon going a few rounds, and here are some thoughts…

– If you've got someone to play against, now you can have two identical boxers go head to head. They no longer have to be the "balanced" fighters. It's understandable why Mattel didn't allow same-colored boxers, but now we have the choice, which is better.

– You've got lots of options for the duration of the fight, from 2 to 12 rounds. This makes it easy to play a quick game if you want. The rounds are now the standard 3 (simulated) minutes instead of the minute and a half of the original game. 

– The boxer selection screen now shows you the fighter's characteristics when it's you against the computer. No need to memorize them or consult the Mattel manual. Much appreciated.

– David's added a simple "energy indicator" to the screen (player vs. computer only), and it's a great addition to the game. Could this be added to the two-player version?

– He's also put the scheduled number of rounds for the fight at the top-center. This is great for keeping track of which option you picked. 

– Showing the computer boxer in black eliminates any confusion with same-colored boxers in a one-player game. I'm not sure why he chose not to show the type of computer boxer until the end of a Pro or Super Pro fight, but I guess the aim is to increase the difficulty a bit by not knowing your opponent at that level. Fair enough.

– The game definitely feels fair. Even though the computer beat me up, I still won my Golden Gloves match by knockout. And I went the distance and knocked down my opponent twice in the 11th round using the "Super Pro" setting.

golden-gloves-match.jpg.914262d539a3bced4b3edfec50162944.jpg  super-pro-match.jpg.c38a2aaf9dce89d11efb20c9023150cc.jpg

You'll want to pull out your overlays and keep a copy of the Mattel manual on hand if you haven't played this in awhile. 

Great job, David! And thanks for updating this classic and sharing it with us.

Edited by mthompson
Added note about energy indicator being single-player only.
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Sinjinhawke said:

A definite must buy but then I'm not sure what new digital Intellivision release I won't buy.  

The Carnival Digital Soundtrack?  That I wouldn't buy accept as a gift for The Intellivisionaries. 

Replace the elevator music on 5th Ave. etc.   :rolling::rolling::rolling:

Thanks David!

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Jaxivision said:

When is the CIB version coming out?

Not planned. I am moving to ROM releases only which is an extremely limited market. My goal was always to share the games.

For those of you that only play on the original consoles, sorry.

For those of you that have moved over to emulation, I continue towards my goal and have many more games that would have never made it to cart. One benefit is that I can now update releases and not have to worry about carts that have an older version of the game.

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, SiLic0ne t0aD said:

That's why everyone needs an LTO Flash. :)  I'm a strictly original hardware kind of guy, but flash carts are the way to go.

Over 1,000 Flash carts have sold!!??!!. I was kind of hoping everyone that cares about playing Intellivision games would have one. Maybe the collector market is larger than players?

28 minutes ago, intvdave said:

Over 1,000 Flash carts have sold!!??!!. I was kind of hoping everyone that cares about playing Intellivision games would have one. Maybe the collector market is larger than players?

You are on to something here. 

Step 1:  remove the shrinkwrap!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, intvdave said:

That’s all? I’m a purist, so I prefer playing on the original hardware, but I don’t have CIB money all the time. 

So for me, the LTO Flash opens up new gameplay possibilities.

Plus when I had to vacation at the beach last summer, it was easy to bring my intellivision and a ton of games without bringing a ton of games!

7 hours ago, Lathe26 said:

As someone who didn't grow up with this game, it is hard to fully appreciate the 2-player-only games when there is never a good partner around to play against.  Adding 1-player mode make the game suddenly more interesting.

Same goes for Sea Battle.  I played against somebody at PhillyClassic 2001 and got my butt kicked, because it was the first time I got to play against somebody.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Zendocon said:

Same goes for Sea Battle.  I played against somebody at PhillyClassic 2001 and got my butt kicked, because it was the first time I got to play against somebody.

Sea Battle is on my to-do list. It is a game I had as a kid and never lost on. Next up though is Super Pro Maze-a-tron.

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, intvdave said:

Sea Battle is on my to-do list. It is a game I had as a kid and never lost on. Next up though is Super Pro Maze-a-tron.

Thank you for all of it Dave.  This is great!  You're making this old games so much more playable now!  What a treat.  Sea Battle will be a blast to play as a 1 player.  I, like others, didn't own it because I couldn't play it.  My older sister wanted nothing to do with me or the Intellivision back then.  Lol.

How about Armor Battle as well.  That would be a lot of fun as a one-player as well. 

And.. you know... Gotta rub ya for it... Another version of AD&D ? ...record breaking sales on that one for sure!!  

I had thought about Armor Battle... faster tanks for one and then one player but never started it. I wonder how easy it would be to knock this one out....

There are no record breaking sales. Take for example Boxing, 15 sales so far. That does not even cover my time to post it on the website less program it. If this was about money, I would be selling it CIB. There is a reason I always talk about owning a game as a kid. I love the games and want to share them. Maze-a-tron was a terrible game. I have taken it and made it fun. I will be curious to see if anyone can get past the stigmatism of it. I would be surprised if 5 people bought it.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, intvdave said:

I had thought about Armor Battle... faster tanks for one and then one player but never started it. I wonder how easy it would be to knock this one out....

There are no record breaking sales. Take for example Boxing, 15 sales so far. That does not even cover my time to post it on the website less program it. If this was about money, I would be selling it CIB. There is a reason I always talk about owning a game as a kid. I love the games and want to share them. Maze-a-tron was a terrible game. I have taken it and made it fun. I will be curious to see if anyone can get past the stigmatism of it. I would be surprised if 5 people bought it.

I'll be #6 for sure!!  I know, sometimes you just do stuff because it makes others happy and the joy of seeing some great memories relived is enough.  Thanks for doing it.  So many early games on the Intellivision were really good games, but unplayable because of the 2-player only design.  Looking back, if some of there were 1-player, they would have roasted anything Atari had to offer at the time.  

There's some good options to consider for Armor Battle.  To think of a few:

Fog of war - can't see enemy till your close!

Ricochet - shells can bounce off.

Buildings can be damaged and parked in.

Instant hit/kill percentage.

Tank knocked out, but can fire.

2 hours ago, intvdave said:

I am 1 in 15 I guess?  That is truly sad.  I don't think it was a game many had BITD.  But this makes it viable today!  Come on Intellivision Fans. Support the effort!

So, Armor Battle got about 2 total plays when I was a kid.  Thank the Lord it was a $.99 KB Toy barging bin buy.   This is the SLOWEST "action" game ever!  PLEASE speed it up and reverse the curse.

Maze-a-tron did get some play.  But I never understood what I was doing really.  I guess I could have read the directions?  Hmm. That may have helped. LOL

Also, THANK YOU for putting the release dates next to the ROMS. Much easier to know what I haven't purchased yet.  

I will also purchase Boxing.  As sad as it sounds I have to time when I purchase these things even when they are $10.  My wife lost her job so paying for two kids university means I treat myself to games when I can not when I want.  But I want more of these games and I play them so I will be buying them for sure.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, intvdave said:

Please do Sea Battle!  As a someone who has also dabbled with Inty programming (BASIC and assembly), Sea Battle would be the 1st game I would personally add 1-player mode to.  Unfortunately for me, I have other Inty projects in progress that mean I'll likely never actually get to upgrading Sea Battle myself.

Put me down as a potential beta-tester or just as an ideas sounding board.

18 minutes ago, Lathe26 said:

Sea Battle would be the 1st game I would personally add 1-player mode to.

How about moving Sea Battle to the top of your list and let me work on my other project? :)   Space Shuttle and AD&D Quest are other games on my list and I am focusing on voice games right now.

Edited by intvdave